“Disappointed in bar manager, Internet.”

Tucson University Park Hotel
Ranked #29 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed March 9, 2013 via mobile

I'm currently a Marriott Platinum member and come to Tucson every other month for business. I choose to eat and have drinks at the lobby bar nightly for my stay because of the outstanding service/attentiveness I'm guaranteed to receive from Jason the bartender. Over the past 2 years I've chosen the university Mariott because of the outstanding service. Currently have been here since the Feb 28th and checked out Earlier today Saturday Feb 9th. Friday night being my last stay before I departed Saturday, I decided to invite 4 of my clients to join me for dinner and drinks at the lobby bar to taste Jason's superb margaritas. That's exactly what I didn't receive. Instead of Jason, we were helped by an older women that was flustered and had no clue how to make the margarita I always order. I asked to speak with the restaurant manager Eddy, but only informed that she couldn't locate him and that she would keep trying. After 30 plus minutes and no contact with the bar manager, I chose to take my clients elsewhere and dine at Pasco's. I would greatly appreciate an apology for the embarrassment in front of my clients and the carelessness that even the manager of the the bar was no where to resolve this problem. I will be seriously contemplating staying with the ALOFT W Hotel in the future if this is how a valued Marriott Platinum Member is treated.

• Stayed: March 2013
TucsonMarriott, Manager at Tucson University Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I would love to discuss your experience further with you. Please feel free to e-mail me at Jill.Moyer@jqh.com, or call at 520-629-2801, at your convenience. I hope to speak with you soon.

Reviewed March 7, 2013

As a frequent traveler to Tucson I often stay at this Marriott hotel. The location is ideal if you are visiting U of A and is also centrally located within Tucson. I am primarily there for business conferences and have been satisfied with the catering and other business services. BUT, by far the best reason to stay here is RAFAEL! Rafael is the most warm and welcoming hotel staff person I have ever met. He treats each guest as if they are a long standing friend who are visiting his home. (I stay in more hotels than I do at home each year.) Rafael is in charge of the concierge lounge in the mornings. This is a recent change from his evening shift. He goes out of his way to ensure that you have everything you need, and most things you want. He is well traveled and can not only help you with travel plans in Tucson, but also so many other places in the world. If you visit this hotel - please go visit Rafael - I guarantee the second time he sees you, he will say, 'Welcome Home' and mean it.

Room Tip: Balconies are nice. Depending on the time of year and the number of guests that are students....t...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
TucsonMarriott, General Manager at Tucson University Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2013

Thank you for recognizing one of the best associates I have ever had the pleasure of working with. Rafael is truly a guest focused individual who makes all that come in contact with him feel very special. I am so happy that you had a great experience and we hope to have the opportunity to serve you again very soon. Thanks for the kind words it means a lot!

Reviewed March 5, 2013 via mobile

Perfect if you are visiting the University. Easy walk to some cool areas for dining. A little pricey for a Marriott but actually worth the upgrade to get a high floor with balcony. The views give you a good feel for the city and relax for a while. Room was spacious, clean and comfortable. Staff was very friendly and helpful. A nice feeling to the place. Free business center to print boarding passes. Lobby looks nice but did not get to eat or drink there. Would recommend.

• Stayed: March 2013
TucsonMarriott, General Manager at Tucson University Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2013

Thanks for taking the time to write a review. Indeed, we are fortunate to have a location so close to the University of Arizona as many of our guests are visiting or have business on campus. We are happy that you enjoyed your stay and hope you have an opportunity to visit us again.

Reviewed March 3, 2013

This Marriott is a good choice if you have business at the University, otherwise, I would find someplace else to stay. There really isn’t anything terrible about it, it is just nothing special and very much geared towards university functions. As such, it tends to be a bit noisy with student and alumni groups, conferences, etc. I recently stayed for three nights. Those nights overlapped with stays by the Washington State and University of Washington basketball teams and a sorority convention. The gym was full with the basketball players most of the time and the sorority met in the lobby for most of a day.

As other reviewers have noted, the atrium design of the hotel means that noise carries up to the rooms and the staff does a poor job of keeping things quiet late at night. The several colleagues who were with me on this trip and I were all up until 1:00 am or so with the noise from the lobby bar. There was a great deal of carrying on and one would have expected to hotel staff to ask the guest to be a bit more considerate.

Other than the noise issues, the rooms are fine. The bedding and bath towels are of decent quality and everything worked. The internet is extremely slow, particularly given that they charge $9.95.

The gym has good cardio machines and some free weights. It is open 24 hours which is nice. There is also a heated pool which I didn’t use but I heard other guests comment frequently on.

Unfortunately, the food in the hotel restaurant is not that great; it is worth making the effort to dine someplace outside. I will say that the servers at breakfast were extremely friendly and helpful. They even remembered my drink order on just my second morning there.

Overall, the staff is excellent, friendly and helpful, but it is really a college hotel and not one for business travelers.

Room Tip: The club floor seems to fill up quickly but you can get a room on a lower floor and still have acces...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank runkate
TucsonMarriott, General Manager at Tucson University Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2013

Thanks for taking the time to write a review. We certainly are very busy during the school year with guests who have business with the University. I do apologize for the noise issues you had as we try to control this during the evening hours as best we can. We also appreciate you recognizing the staff being attentive to your needs and hope you have an opportunity to visit our hotel again very soon.

Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

Wonderful friendly attentive staff. Delicious variety of menu items. Clean spacious rooms. Safe night life surroundings! Great value. Recommend
This Hotel as a favorite and dependable choice!!! Great hot spa tub and pool.

• Stayed: February 2013

We are very pleased you enjoy our location and hotel. Thank you for recognizing the staff. We hope that we have an opportunity to serve you again very soon.

Reviewed March 3, 2013

I travel often to UA and this hotel is my first choice. It is in great location with walking to (fun) restaurants and UA. It is a full Marriott so Internet and breakfast are extra. If you r Gold member they have a conciase on 9 floor . If pool /grounds is your preference go elsewhere (Resorts are cheap in Tucson and match hotel prices, Marriott star pass is nice). This is the first hotel to sell out ( GEM show, parents week, Rodeo, sport events) so book early.

Room Tip: Internet is pricey, UA has free internet so walk outside...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

We are so happy you enjoy our location and hope we have an opportunity to serve you again very soon. Go Wildcats!

Reviewed February 18, 2013

My Wife, my Mother and Myself had traveled to Tucson to attend our son's girlfriend's ballet performance at the Stevie Eller Theatre on the University of Arizona campus.
Upon arrival in at Tucson Marriott - University Park we were greeted by very friendly valet who helped unload and parked the vehicle for the remainder of our stay. We had reservations for two rooms. Upon checking in at the front desk we were greeted by Katrina and and another very nice young lady who processed our registrations very quickly and told us about the amenities of the hotel and said to contact them if we needed anything else or had any questions.
After a quick dinner, we took a cab to the performance. (no waiting for cab as the cab company has a station at the Marriott).
The cab driver also gave us his cell phone number and said to call him and he would pick us up if he was available or he would send another cab. After the performance, which was excellent!, we called him and he picked us up in less than five minutes and returned us to the Marriott.
We went to the lounge to have a drink. While we were there we were greeted by Eddie, the restaurant manager, who was checking with guests to make sure everything was ok. While visiting with Eddie he made several recomendations for surrounding activities and told us about the breakfast buffet which we had the next morning. The buffet was very good with a great variety of breakfast options.
We checked out with no problems, valet brought us our vehicle and we left wishing we had been able to spend another night at the hotel.

Room Tip: We have stayed at this hotel before and have had no problems with any of the rooms. All of the rooms...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
TucsonMarriott, General Manager at Tucson University Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2013

Thank you so much for writing a review of our hotel and staff. How exciting to see a live performance at the Steve Eller Theatre especially when you know one of the ballet dancers. We appreciate you recognizing Katrina and Eddie as they both work very hard at setting an example of excellent guest service. We hope that we have an opportunity to serve you again in the not too distant future.