“Great Location, Nice Hotel”

Tucson University Park Hotel
Ranked #41 of 130 Hotels in Tucson
GreenLeadersGold level
Chevy Chase, Maryland
“Great Location, Nice Hotel”
Reviewed March 5, 2013 via mobile

Perfect if you are visiting the University. Easy walk to some cool areas for dining. A little pricey for a Marriott but actually worth the upgrade to get a high floor with balcony. The views give you a good feel for the city and relax for a while. Room was spacious, clean and comfortable. Staff was very friendly and helpful. A nice feeling to the place. Free business center to print boarding passes. Lobby looks nice but did not get to eat or drink there. Would recommend.

• Stayed March 2013
TucsonMarriott, General Manager at Tucson University Park Hotel, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Thanks for taking the time to write a review. Indeed, we are fortunate to have a location so close to the University of Arizona as many of our guests are visiting or have business on campus. We are happy that you enjoyed your stay and hope you have an opportunity to visit us again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
Los Angeles
Reviewed March 3, 2013

This Marriott is a good choice if you have business at the University, otherwise, I would find someplace else to stay. There really isn’t anything terrible about it, it is just nothing special and very much geared towards university functions. As such, it tends to be a bit noisy with student and alumni groups, conferences, etc. I recently stayed for three nights. Those nights overlapped with stays by the Washington State and University of Washington basketball teams and a sorority convention. The gym was full with the basketball players most of the time and the sorority met in the lobby for most of a day.

As other reviewers have noted, the atrium design of the hotel means that noise carries up to the rooms and the staff does a poor job of keeping things quiet late at night. The several colleagues who were with me on this trip and I were all up until 1:00 am or so with the noise from the lobby bar. There was a great deal of carrying on and one would have expected to hotel staff to ask the guest to be a bit more considerate.

Other than the noise issues, the rooms are fine. The bedding and bath towels are of decent quality and everything worked. The internet is extremely slow, particularly given that they charge $9.95.

The gym has good cardio machines and some free weights. It is open 24 hours which is nice. There is also a heated pool which I didn’t use but I heard other guests comment frequently on.

Unfortunately, the food in the hotel restaurant is not that great; it is worth making the effort to dine someplace outside. I will say that the servers at breakfast were extremely friendly and helpful. They even remembered my drink order on just my second morning there.

Overall, the staff is excellent, friendly and helpful, but it is really a college hotel and not one for business travelers.

Room Tip: The club floor seems to fill up quickly but you can get a room on a lower floor and still have acces...
2 Thank runkate
TucsonMarriott, General Manager at Tucson University Park Hotel, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Thanks for taking the time to write a review. We certainly are very busy during the school year with guests who have business with the University. I do apologize for the noise issues you had as we try to control this during the evening hours as best we can. We also appreciate you recognizing the staff being attentive to your needs and hope you have an opportunity to visit our hotel again very soon.
Prairie Land USA
Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

Wonderful friendly attentive staff. Delicious variety of menu items. Clean spacious rooms. Safe night life surroundings! Great value. Recommend
This Hotel as a favorite and dependable choice!!! Great hot spa tub and pool.

• Stayed February 2013
We are very pleased you enjoy our location and hotel. Thank you for recognizing the staff. We hope that we have an opportunity to serve you again very soon.
Rockville, Maryland
Reviewed March 3, 2013

I travel often to UA and this hotel is my first choice. It is in great location with walking to (fun) restaurants and UA. It is a full Marriott so Internet and breakfast are extra. If you r Gold member they have a conciase on 9 floor . If pool /grounds is your preference go elsewhere (Resorts are cheap in Tucson and match hotel prices, Marriott star pass is nice). This is the first hotel to sell out ( GEM show, parents week, Rodeo, sport events) so book early.

Room Tip: Internet is pricey, UA has free internet so walk outside...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
We are so happy you enjoy our location and hope we have an opportunity to serve you again very soon. Go Wildcats!
Yuma, Az
Reviewed February 18, 2013

My Wife, my Mother and Myself had traveled to Tucson to attend our son's girlfriend's ballet performance at the Stevie Eller Theatre on the University of Arizona campus.
Upon arrival in at Tucson Marriott - University Park we were greeted by very friendly valet who helped unload and parked the vehicle for the remainder of our stay. We had reservations for two rooms. Upon checking in at the front desk we were greeted by Katrina and and another very nice young lady who processed our registrations very quickly and told us about the amenities of the hotel and said to contact them if we needed anything else or had any questions.
After a quick dinner, we took a cab to the performance. (no waiting for cab as the cab company has a station at the Marriott).
The cab driver also gave us his cell phone number and said to call him and he would pick us up if he was available or he would send another cab. After the performance, which was excellent!, we called him and he picked us up in less than five minutes and returned us to the Marriott.
We went to the lounge to have a drink. While we were there we were greeted by Eddie, the restaurant manager, who was checking with guests to make sure everything was ok. While visiting with Eddie he made several recomendations for surrounding activities and told us about the breakfast buffet which we had the next morning. The buffet was very good with a great variety of breakfast options.
We checked out with no problems, valet brought us our vehicle and we left wishing we had been able to spend another night at the hotel.

Room Tip: We have stayed at this hotel before and have had no problems with any of the rooms. All of the rooms...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
TucsonMarriott, General Manager at Tucson University Park Hotel, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Thank you so much for writing a review of our hotel and staff. How exciting to see a live performance at the Steve Eller Theatre especially when you know one of the ballet dancers. We appreciate you recognizing Katrina and Eddie as they both work very hard at setting an example of excellent guest service. We hope that we have an opportunity to serve you again in the not too distant future.
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Loved this hotel, me and my love went to this hotel as a little get away for the summer. Good service, great location, lots of stuff in walking distance, shopping and food. Very quiet.Would definitely stay again.

Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
We are so happy that you enjoyed our hotel and the location. It is so nice that our guests have many dining and shopping choices. We hope that you have an opportunity to visit us again very soon.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed February 10, 2013

I am here for business. So far, this hotel has been somewhat of a bust. Although the room is clean and comfortable (carpet is pretty dirty by the door, buuuut, that is a small thing.) the mechanics of this place are head-bangingly bad.

When I arrived, the key did not work in my door. I had to go downstairs to get the key replaced. The elevators are among the slowest ever. Once the key was replaced I got into my room and signed up for the internet. I was charged for the internet. Charging for internet is something one expects at a low end hotel, not the Marriott. The internet was excruciatingly slow.....and..... kept throwing me off. Did I mention I am here for business?

Night two, and three......the key doesn't work. Again. Over and over the key doesn't work. The hotel reset my lock and still the key doesn't work. The very friendly staff replaces my key over and over again. To do this I have to go up and down the excruciatingly slow elevator over and over again. The staff tells me that perhaps my smart phone is demagnetizing the key. I travel extensively. This has never happened before. I then store the key in my glove box, my pocket and at one point my sock. The key has to be replaced every time. I hear from colleagues also staying here that this is happened to them as well. Where should I keep my key? On my head?

Night 3. I am thrown off of the hotel internet AGAIN. The desk tells me that the "hotel can't deal with the internet, that I have to deal with the provider myself" REALLY???? I have not contracted with this provider Marriott HAS!

I call the internet provider and am placed on hold. By the end of the night I have spoken to the provider no less than four times. One of those times the hotel desk clerk Annalise transfers me to a number that is no longer working. In between trying to get me to the right place she forgets to put me on hold and I hear her swearing. Nice.

I spent no less than an hour + working out the bugs over those 4+ calls. At one point the provider makes a huge mistake throwing me off of the internet again in a big way. Ridiculous. I DID mention that I am here on business didn't I?? Yeah.

In the end, the hotel did not charge me for the internet. That is great as the internet service was abominable! This fiasco cost me time and money. I won't even start with the irritation level and inconvenience as I will rant for another few paragraphs! I have stayed in hotels in third world countries that function at a far higher level than the Tucson Marriott University Park!

Stay in this hotel if you have a child at ASU, are attending a game, or want to be in the middle of the city. Avoid this hotel like the plague if you are coming to Tucson for business or for anything where the internet, elevators or actually getting access to your own room is a necessity.

Room Tip: If you need the internet or access to your room find another hotel.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
TucsonMarriott, General Manager at Tucson University Park Hotel, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
I am sorry that you had issues with the internet, your door lock and the hotel's elevators. The elevators have just been inspected and meet all the guidelines the state requires us to have. When the hotel is very busy and everyone is coming and going at the same time there can be a wait from time to time and I apologize for that.

Your door lock was malfunctioning because the memory board needed to be replaced, this is a rare occurance but does happpen from time to time when dealing with electrical equipment. Our staff should have asked you if you wanted to move to another room and we would have been happy to do that.

Regarding the internet issues you had, the reason we have you call technical support is because everyone has different computer configurations and many have firewalls that our staff has no technical knowledge of. I apologize for technical support not handling your situation in a satisfactory manner and I have contacted them so that we can try to streamline the process.

I appreciate you letting us know of these issues as it gives us an opportunity to correct them for all of our guests.