“Bauquet manager needs to take a customer service class!”

Tucson University Park Hotel
Ranked #38 of 130 Hotels in Tucson
GreenLeadersGold level
Chatsworth, California
“Bauquet manager needs to take a customer service class!”
Reviewed October 21, 2012

If you are planing any event where you plan on having any fun after 9:30 pm this is not the place!!! Think twice before you book an event here that will run past 9:30 PM I have been staying at this hotel several times a year for about 10 years. We were attending a formal event for my daughters sorority and they had set up blackjack tables. All the family's were having a great time. Starting at 9:30 if someone would cheer or clap when they won a hand the banquet manager came over and said they were shutting the whole thing down if everyone wasn't quiet. When I simply asked her why at 9:30 everyone has to be quiet she got extremely defensive then aggressive for no apparent reason. She behaved more like a teacher talking to children or a drill seargent ordering around some grunts than a hotel employee discussing an issue with adult clients. When we informed the front desk about her behavior and asked for the general managers name she immediately retaliated by telling my entire family that she was ordering them out of the hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
TucsonMarriott, General Manager at Tucson University Park Hotel, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Thank you for bringing this situation to my attention and as I told you in the telephone conversation I had with you on Monday October 22, 2012 there is always a better way to handle a situation like this. The fact is we received many noise complains from hotel guests regarding the noise created by the function you were attending and it is our obligation to address an issue like this and try to resolve it. I am sorry it was not handled to your satisfaction and we have addressed with the staff some alternative ways to handle situations like this in the future. Thank you again for your comments and I did want to point out that I received several compliments from the organizers of the event you attended on what a successful function it was.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
Chandler, Arizona
Reviewed October 18, 2012

I was not expecting a nice hotel so close to the U of A campus. The staff was friendly and the rooms were clean, comfy and large. I go to Tucson at least once or twice a year, so I will stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
TucsonMarriott, General Manager at Tucson University Park Hotel, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
We are happy that you enjoyed are facility and staff during your stay. I encourage our returning guests to make their reservations as early as possible because of our location next to the University of Arizona there are many times during the year that our availability is limited. We look forward to serving you again in the future.
New York City, New York
Reviewed October 4, 2012

This is basically the only reasonable major hotel option within walking distance of the University of Arizona. It's in good condition, spacious rooms, and the usual nice but overpriced breakfast. When I checked out there was an issue with someone else's incidental charge put on my room. It took at least 10 minutes to get that resolved. The waitress pressured me into getting the breakfast buffet when I wanted one of the very few cheaper options. The elevators are extremely slow at rush hours, and the stairs don't lead to the lobby, so even if you're on a lower floor, you can't walk down the stairs and need to wait for the elevator. Being in Tucson, there are lovely room views! I've stayed here a couple times and it's a fine place.

Room Tip: The atrium can generate noise at night from the bar, so upper level rooms are better, plus have bett...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
TucsonMarriott, General Manager at Tucson University Park Hotel, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
We appreciate your kind words. I am sorry that it took ten minutes for your disputed charge to be taken off your bill and I have instructed the Front Desk Associates to try and be more efficient with these kind of issues. The vast majority of our guests who order breakfast in our restaurant do order the buffet but certainly are not obligated to as we do have menu options available. The Restaurant Manager has reviewed with the staff the proper procedure of presenting all options to our patrons. We hope to see you again very soon.
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed September 26, 2012

This is a nice Marriott and it couldn't be in a better location (adjacent to the U. of A.). Their rates do spike up when there are university events, though, because it's the only decent hotel this close to the campus. The former Sheraton Four Points (which was "iffy") is nearby on Speedway and currently being renovated to become an Aloft Hotel, so that'll be an option soon. Parking at this Marriott is in a ramp garage across the street, but it's close (there's also a valet option). Nice breakfast in the concierge lounge, eager/helpful check-in people at the front desk, too.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to serving you in the future.
Yuma, Arizona
Reviewed September 4, 2012

I stayed here while in between work trips in Southern Az. I liked that the room was clean, and the layout was excellent. The bed was comfortable and I ordered breakfast that was excellent. The staff were courteous and helpful. I used the Valet and their services were spot on. The location is perfect, its in the heart of Tucson and near anything and everything. Resort like accommodations. The structure of the hotel is beautiful and the reservation was exactly as I booked on their web site.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
We appreciate you taking the time out of your day to fill out this review. I have passed your kind words on to the staff and hope that we have another opportunity to serve you again soon.
Calabasas, California
Reviewed August 24, 2012

I recently stayed here with my husband and kids while moving one of my kids into the University of Arizona. I had a suite which was 2 rooms. We had a king bed in one room and a queen sofa bed in the other room with a fridge. The sofa bed was comfortable for my kids. The fridge defrosted during the night which caused the carpet to be wet and they moved us to a suite on the lounge floor at no charge. The lounge floor includes breakfast and snacks at night. The bathroom was very nice too. The bed & down feather pillows were very comfortable. The front staff were wonderful.

Room Tip: Get a suite or a room on the lounge floor.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
TucsonMarriott, General Manager at Tucson University Park Hotel, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and I appreciate the kind words about the hotel and the staff. We have many families stay with us while visiting family members at the University of Arzona. We hope to have the opportunity to serve you many times over the next several years! It's our pleasure.
california
Reviewed August 24, 2012

My son is a freshman at U of A, and I stayed here for 3 nights helping him move in. The location is super convenient to the University. I had a 'concierge' room on the 9th floor. There was a complimentary continental breakfast in the mornings, appetizers and then desserts in the evening in the concierge lounge. That was a nice perk. Self parking is in the garage across the street (free on the weekends, $11/day weekdays). The staff was helpful in giving directions to Bed & Bath, Target, In & Out, etc. The room was large and the bathroom clean. The carpet has some obvious wear, but it was minor. I would stay here again the next time I am in Tucson, primarily for the proximity to the University.

Room Tip: concierge level, 9th floor. rooms had small balconies, quite noisy (over the air-conditioning units...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback. We are pleased that you had a good experience at our hotel and hope that you have many more opportunites to visit us in the near future.