“Well-run, nice hotel”

GreenLeadersGold level
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Well-run, nice hotel”
Reviewed September 26, 2012

This is a nice Marriott and it couldn't be in a better location (adjacent to the U. of A.). Their rates do spike up when there are university events, though, because it's the only decent hotel this close to the campus. The former Sheraton Four Points (which was "iffy") is nearby on Speedway and currently being renovated to become an Aloft Hotel, so that'll be an option soon. Parking at this Marriott is in a ramp garage across the street, but it's close (there's also a valet option). Nice breakfast in the concierge lounge, eager/helpful check-in people at the front desk, too.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
TucsonMarriott, General Manager at Tucson University Park Hotel, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to serving you in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
Yuma, Arizona
Reviewed September 4, 2012

I stayed here while in between work trips in Southern Az. I liked that the room was clean, and the layout was excellent. The bed was comfortable and I ordered breakfast that was excellent. The staff were courteous and helpful. I used the Valet and their services were spot on. The location is perfect, its in the heart of Tucson and near anything and everything. Resort like accommodations. The structure of the hotel is beautiful and the reservation was exactly as I booked on their web site.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
We appreciate you taking the time out of your day to fill out this review. I have passed your kind words on to the staff and hope that we have another opportunity to serve you again soon.
Calabasas, California
Reviewed August 24, 2012

I recently stayed here with my husband and kids while moving one of my kids into the University of Arizona. I had a suite which was 2 rooms. We had a king bed in one room and a queen sofa bed in the other room with a fridge. The sofa bed was comfortable for my kids. The fridge defrosted during the night which caused the carpet to be wet and they moved us to a suite on the lounge floor at no charge. The lounge floor includes breakfast and snacks at night. The bathroom was very nice too. The bed & down feather pillows were very comfortable. The front staff were wonderful.

Room Tip: Get a suite or a room on the lounge floor.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
TucsonMarriott, General Manager at Tucson University Park Hotel, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and I appreciate the kind words about the hotel and the staff. We have many families stay with us while visiting family members at the University of Arzona. We hope to have the opportunity to serve you many times over the next several years! It's our pleasure.
california
Reviewed August 24, 2012

My son is a freshman at U of A, and I stayed here for 3 nights helping him move in. The location is super convenient to the University. I had a 'concierge' room on the 9th floor. There was a complimentary continental breakfast in the mornings, appetizers and then desserts in the evening in the concierge lounge. That was a nice perk. Self parking is in the garage across the street (free on the weekends, $11/day weekdays). The staff was helpful in giving directions to Bed & Bath, Target, In & Out, etc. The room was large and the bathroom clean. The carpet has some obvious wear, but it was minor. I would stay here again the next time I am in Tucson, primarily for the proximity to the University.

Room Tip: concierge level, 9th floor. rooms had small balconies, quite noisy (over the air-conditioning units...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback. We are pleased that you had a good experience at our hotel and hope that you have many more opportunites to visit us in the near future.
San Diego, California
Reviewed August 18, 2012 via mobile

Overall we had a very nice stay. We were in town to drop off our kid at UofA, and this location is fantastic. Right on campus, evrything within walking distance. We did the self-park in the garage across the street, extremely convenient. The room was very comfortable and clean, although overall the decor is slightly dated. Service was excellent. We'll be back next year.

• Stayed August 2012
Thanks for taking the time to fill out a review. We are very happy that you had a good stay. You will be pleased to know that we are planning a lobby renovation in the fourth quarter of 2013. Hope to see you again very soon.
Yorktown, Virginia, United States
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Have stayed at this property many times. The rooms are always clean and the equipment in the gym works. Being able to walk to many restaurants and shopping is a big highlight. The staff is always helpful and friendly. I go out of my way to stay here.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
It's wonderful to pass on comments like yours to our staff. They work very hard to try and create a great experience for our guests. We thank you so much for your business and hope to see again very soon.
Berkeley CA
Reviewed August 13, 2012

First things first: there is nothing dramatically wrong with this hotel. The rooms are attractive and clean, and it is well located if you are trying to see or work at the University of Arizona. However, over my two day stay a number of things began to grate on me. First, there are substantial additional charges for everything. For internet, which was irritating enough (the two other hotels I'd stayed in, in Tucson had free internet) - but also for self-parking ($8/day to self-park in a structure that fills quickly, making coming and going from the hotel a chore). The hotel also felt congested and chaotic - trying to pick up family members in the small driveway was difficult, and the lobby was often full of tourists and visiting students jostling each other. Finally, when I went to get a receipt for my stay, the person at the desk couldn't provide one - saying that I'd booked with a third-party service, and needed to contact them. Fair enough, I guess, but she gave me the name of the wrong service (told me very authoritatively that I'd booked through Travelocity when I had not). It took me several calls and nearly an hour to get this straightened out. I think it is unlikely that I will stay at this hotel again. I had much calmer, less expensive, better-assisted stays at Lodge on the Desert and the Doubletree-Reid Park. Even if I were headed to the UA campus, I'd happily drive a bit to avoid the chaos and extra charges of this good-but-not-great hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Thank you very much for your feedback. Indeed we are a busy hotel and I can see how that can be a concern for some of our guests. Yes we do charge for the internet and parking garage and that is stated on our website. These charges are common for most urban full service hotels and we constantly try to offer enough bandwidth for all of our guests to provide a good internet experience.

I certainly apologize for the clerk insisting that you prepaid to travelocity, she handled that poorly and we have addressed that with her. Having said that, anytime you prepay for a room through a third party booking company as part of the agreement all hotels have with these company's we are not permitted to provide a receipt.

I appreciate you giving us your honest opinion as it gives us an opportunity to improve. We hope that we have a chance to serve you sometime in the future.