“Great for U of A visit”

GreenLeadersGold level
Salt Lake City, Utah
“Great for U of A visit”
Reviewed March 25, 2012

I stayed in this hotel twice last month when visiting the University of Arizona. It is a great location, just a couple of blocks from the edge of campus. There are many restaurants and pubs nearby, so there is a lot of affordable quality options within walking distance if you are staying several days. One of the U of A faculty took me to Wilko, which is right across from campus and for some reason not on TripAdvisor. Nice affordable wine list, and I had a bowl of pozole recommended by the server that was outstanding. Had a thin crust wood oven baked pizza that was also a winner. Many other options, including campus hangouts like Gentle Ben's. Hotel is older property judging by the fixtures, but everything was sparking clean, it was quiet, and it has a nice, typical Marriott restaurant in the lobby. Nice, open, and perfectly decent choice for breakfast before a full day on campus. I consider this now "my place" in Tucson. Taxi ride from the airport is about $30.

Room Tip: Marriott has no feather rooms if you have a feather allergy, which I do.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
TucsonMarriott, Director of Sales at Tucson University Park Hotel, responded to this review, March 26, 2012
Thank you for sharing your experience with the TripAdvisor community. It's great to see that you enjoyed all our area has to offer. As you experienced just steps from our doors are shops and many dining options. I'll be sure to share your comments about the cleanliness of the hotel with our Housekeeping team. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
Corpus Christi, Texas
Reviewed March 23, 2012

Really nice hotel, one staff member was a bit curt, when i tried mailing a post card and other than the phone next to bed not working, it was a nice hotel. i had a nice view from my window, and the staff was accomadating when we tried checking in early.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
It's great to see our team accommodated the early check in request and that you enjoyed the views. We hope to welcome you back soon.
San Antonio
Reviewed March 21, 2012

I was just here for conference. It's a perfectly nice Marriott. Anyone who travels will know exactly what that means. I loved that there were actual balconies with doors that open up. It was good to get some fresh air. They do charge for internet service for regular guests, it appears but we were given free internet service with our stay (there were a LOT of us)

I had a few minor issues- the air-conditioning in my room was directed so that it hit exactly where I was sitting at the desk. I don't like air being blown down on me, especially cold air so for the most part I left the a/c off. Also, because of the Atrium setup, it can get loud while the bar area was opened. It quieted down quickly after the bar closed for the evening.

Staff seemed nice and were wearing their uniforms- saw no brastraps here! (see post, below)- the cleaning people were unobtrusive and did a nice job.

The hotel itself seems close to lots of stuff- we didn't really have time to get out and explore too much but there was a brewery and a few restaurants and shops right next to the hotel. Would have liked to see more of Tucson but that's the downside of a business trip. Maybe next time.

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony room.
Miami, Florida
Reviewed March 20, 2012

great location, clean nice friendly walk to campus

Room Tip: had a balcony
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Kansas City, MO
Reviewed March 11, 2012

When we checked in we were using gift cards and were assured that only $50 would be authorized on my credit card and of course they authorized $550. I was staying one night! The manager on duty was dressed in a tank top with her bra strap showing- tacky! She seemed bothered to help with gift cards and proceeded to tell me to just deal with it in the morning. I booked a room with a balcony on the top floor- I did not get one. For $300 a night I expect my requests to be met- none were. No extra towels, no extra pillows- why ask if you don't honor? I finally got my balcony and my daughter went outside and stepped on a bunch of nasty cigarette butts- EWWW. The food and beverage offerings are a joke. It was the servers first day and we had to ask for everything. For $150 a meal I expect quality service and food- I received neither. I wish I could forget this night ever happened. Next time I will stay at the JW for sure.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank kathrynp816
San Diego, California
Reviewed February 24, 2012

Mr. Otha Taylor has excellent customer service and went above and beyond to make our stay pleasant. We needed sleep after having to leave a previous hotel because of the guys partying all night next door. We were exhausted and even though the hotel was essentially full, he made special arrangements for us to have a nice room. He is always kind and considerate. His first class service is like that of the Nordstrom company. Every time we stay at this Marriott, his service makes you want to come and stay there again.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Colorado
Reviewed February 14, 2012

Perfect location to walk to the basketball arena and other campus venues. The room was nicely appointed (comfortable bed) and the balcony was actually big enough to sit on. Because there are several bar/restaurants within walking distance, there's no need for a designated driver.

The shower water was overly softened, for my taste, and the pressure a little weak, and it seems like hotel sinks never want to drain.

We didn't eat in the hotel, and didn't use the pool or fitness center, but the hotel lobby was attractive and clean. The valets were friendly and helpful. Honestly Marriott, no free wireless in the rooms?

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
TucsonMarriott, Director of Sales at Tucson University Park Hotel, responded to this review, February 16, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at the Marriott Tucson University Park. It's great to see that you enjoyed our proximity to the University of Arizona which is an easy walk from our lobby and University Boulevard also within walking distance. We hope to welcome you back soon!