“Great Location”

Tucson University Park Hotel
Ranked #30 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed December 27, 2007

This Marriott is in a perfect location. It’s easy distance to either I-10 or I-19, and abuts the University of Arizona. We had planned dinner one evening for Café Poca Cosa, and the hotel was less than 2 miles from the restaurant.

Guests can opt for valet parking (approximately $15 per day) or self-park (approximately $11 per day). Valet was often very slow and the student employees were unusually aloof and relaxed. In retrospect, I would have opted for self-park. It would have been just as quick—if not quicker—and cheaper.

The hotel has a large atrium with rooms overlooking the lobby and atrium area. Check-in was quick and a bellhop escorted us to our room on the 8th floor. The room was very spacious and spotless. Carpet throughout the property seemed to have been recently updated, giving everything a fresher feeling than expected. The bed was incredibly comfortable. The shower had instant hot water and a decent (but not spectacular) water pressure. Amenities included products from the Bath & Body Works aromatherapy line.

We were pleased overall with our stay, but there were two negatives that are important to point out: 1) there is limited air circulation in the hotel. Every time we left the property, we savored the fresh air. I’m not implying that the hotel smelled—not at all—but we certainly had the feeling that little fresh air makes it into rooms. Our room was one without an exterior balcony, so those may be more desirable; 2) noise can be problematic, depending upon your neighbors. During our first night, some college-aged men were next door and we heard their every move. Fortunately, they left around 8:00 pm and had not returned when we left at 8:00 am. We did hear other neighbors open and close their room doors, which close with a loud “bang.”

We would certainly stay here again. We enjoyed walking to the nearby shops, bars, and eateries and felt the room was just fine for the price.

Stayed: December 2007

Reviewed December 23, 2007

Overall the hotel was fine, but nothing special. The close proximity to University Avenue provided a short walk to some decent restaurants. Staff was very friendly, rooms were comfortable.

• Stayed: December 2007
Reviewed December 13, 2007

Spent 2 nights here (Dec 10 & 11). Hotel was mostly empty, which probably explains the $75 rate. Front desk staff were polite and efficient. Room was clean, quiet and comfortable, bath was likewise. Nothing exceptional (except the cheap rate) and not as nice as some of the Marriotts I have stayed at, but really there was nothing to complain about either. Decor of this particular property looks a bit early 90s, but everything is well maintained.

Location is perfect for people who wish to be near the University of Arizona campus. Parking ($11 a day) is available in a garage near the hotel and ($8 a day) in a lot across the side street from the entrance. I tried the breakfast buffet the first morning only. Service was excellent; seated promptly, beverage orders taken immediately and waiting for me when I returned from the buffet. Coffee refills handled smoothly without having to ask.

Omelet made to order was good, not great, and the "home fried" potatoes mixed with onions and peppers were a good idea with poor execution. Mine were overdone, very greasy and seemed to have been sitting around a a few hours. With tip and tax, breakfast came to $18 and change, which was not a great value.

This hotel charges $9.95 per day plus tax for wireless internet, which is absurd. Come on people! It is nearly 2008. The business center does have a free computer and printer for guests who wish to print boarding passes, but unlike some Marriott properties, there didn't seem to be a free computer to use to check e-mails.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled solo
Reviewed November 18, 2007

Stayed here for an academic conference, so had no choice of hotels. The staff are young and not terribly well trained but cheerful and friendly. However, this hotel had definite pros and cons.

The buffet breakfast was about $12 -- a little pricy but above average (very tasty, fresh fruit, yogurt, some regional dishes, waffles on order).

My room was fine inside but very noisy outside. The hotel's open atrium is a terrible design for noise. I could hear every party in the atrium below out one side of my room, and I could hear the bar scene down the street out of my window. Not sure there's a quiet room in the place, but ask for it if you have no choice of hotels. To add insult to injury, the staff started up a big industrial vacuum cleaner 7 a.m. on Sunday morning after the student party held downstairs the night before. So it's not like they were trying to help.

The most annoying thing about the stay was the guys hanging out in front in their Lincoln Town Cars overcharging guests for car service. NOTE TO GUESTS: They look like they are with the hotel but they are NOT, and they will gouge you if you let them. The valet desk actually steered us to these guys despite my asking them to call me and my ten friends a couple of taxi cabs. These guys charged the ten of us $50 to go to a restaurant 3 miles away. The taxicabs we called from the restaurant charged us $16 on the way back. Yes, I know -- my fault -- but the hotel doesn't have to condone that kind of gouging. It made me wonder if the valet was getting a kick-back, and I'm not the only one who thinks so -- when I told the very sweet and cheerful restaurant manager the next morning what had happened, he got very angry at the front desk and assured me he would do something about it.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank gazooby
Reviewed September 2, 2007

My girlfriend and I booked through the Marriott website for a government employe rate.I called the Marriott Tucson prior to booking to make sure that they accepted my DOJ/BOP ID. The lady I spoke with said, "yes we do". Got to the hotel at 9pm dead tired from a long flight and the night manager would not accept my government ID. I told him that prior to booking the hotel I had called customer service at this hotel and they said they would. He told me a rude manner that we only accept the new Smart ID gov card. I told him my agency DOJ/BOP is cheap and has not issued the smart card to us yet. He said, "that is not my fault". I will never ever book a Marriott hotel again. We then went to the double tree and booked one night with the government rate and my ID was accepted. The next 4 nights were spent at the Westin La Ploma Resort and Spa in Tucson with gov rate no problems. The La Ploma was wonderful. It had about 10 pools and all kinds of little animals running around on the grounds which overlooked the mountains. It was a lovely resort that I will book again on my next trip to Tucson.
BUT I WILL NEVER STAY AT ANOTHER MARRIOTT HOTEL AGAIN.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled on business
4  Thank ohplezz
Reviewed July 14, 2007

What a difference. Had stayed the night before at the airport Courtyard by Marriott and it was awful. Cut my stay short there and moved to the downtown Marriott and it was so much better.

Newer, clean hotel, with recently renovated rooms. Very nice lobby and parking accommodations. The rooms were spotless, had very comfortable beds, and had huge bathrooms.

All in all a great stay.

• Stayed: July 2007
3  Thank habs07
Reviewed June 6, 2007

Stayed here June 3-6, 2007 for U of A orientation. I look forward to staying here again to visit my daughter. It's a very pretty hotel. Rooms were good size. Beds are extremely comfortable. The shower head wasn't very strong, but I'm sure that's a water conservation issue. The pool is small and mostly in the shade by the afternoon which was a good thing when we were there because the temp was 102.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled on business