“Good Experience, Plus Only $75 A Night Through Priceline”

Tucson University Park Hotel
Ranked #38 of 130 Hotels in Tucson
GreenLeadersGold level
Dearborn, Michigan
“Good Experience, Plus Only $75 A Night Through Priceline”
Reviewed December 13, 2007

Spent 2 nights here (Dec 10 & 11). Hotel was mostly empty, which probably explains the $75 rate. Front desk staff were polite and efficient. Room was clean, quiet and comfortable, bath was likewise. Nothing exceptional (except the cheap rate) and not as nice as some of the Marriotts I have stayed at, but really there was nothing to complain about either. Decor of this particular property looks a bit early 90s, but everything is well maintained.

Location is perfect for people who wish to be near the University of Arizona campus. Parking ($11 a day) is available in a garage near the hotel and ($8 a day) in a lot across the side street from the entrance. I tried the breakfast buffet the first morning only. Service was excellent; seated promptly, beverage orders taken immediately and waiting for me when I returned from the buffet. Coffee refills handled smoothly without having to ask.

Omelet made to order was good, not great, and the "home fried" potatoes mixed with onions and peppers were a good idea with poor execution. Mine were overdone, very greasy and seemed to have been sitting around a a few hours. With tip and tax, breakfast came to $18 and change, which was not a great value.

This hotel charges $9.95 per day plus tax for wireless internet, which is absurd. Come on people! It is nearly 2008. The business center does have a free computer and printer for guests who wish to print boarding passes, but unlike some Marriott properties, there didn't seem to be a free computer to use to check e-mails.

• Stayed December 2007, traveled solo
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
Indiana
Reviewed November 18, 2007

Stayed here for an academic conference, so had no choice of hotels. The staff are young and not terribly well trained but cheerful and friendly. However, this hotel had definite pros and cons.

The buffet breakfast was about $12 -- a little pricy but above average (very tasty, fresh fruit, yogurt, some regional dishes, waffles on order).

My room was fine inside but very noisy outside. The hotel's open atrium is a terrible design for noise. I could hear every party in the atrium below out one side of my room, and I could hear the bar scene down the street out of my window. Not sure there's a quiet room in the place, but ask for it if you have no choice of hotels. To add insult to injury, the staff started up a big industrial vacuum cleaner 7 a.m. on Sunday morning after the student party held downstairs the night before. So it's not like they were trying to help.

The most annoying thing about the stay was the guys hanging out in front in their Lincoln Town Cars overcharging guests for car service. NOTE TO GUESTS: They look like they are with the hotel but they are NOT, and they will gouge you if you let them. The valet desk actually steered us to these guys despite my asking them to call me and my ten friends a couple of taxi cabs. These guys charged the ten of us $50 to go to a restaurant 3 miles away. The taxicabs we called from the restaurant charged us $16 on the way back. Yes, I know -- my fault -- but the hotel doesn't have to condone that kind of gouging. It made me wonder if the valet was getting a kick-back, and I'm not the only one who thinks so -- when I told the very sweet and cheerful restaurant manager the next morning what had happened, he got very angry at the front desk and assured me he would do something about it.

• Liked — Some of the events I attended were on campus, so location is good.
  • Disliked — Noise and the gouging car service sharks out front
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank gazooby
San Diego, California
Reviewed September 2, 2007

My girlfriend and I booked through the Marriott website for a government employe rate.I called the Marriott Tucson prior to booking to make sure that they accepted my DOJ/BOP ID. The lady I spoke with said, "yes we do". Got to the hotel at 9pm dead tired from a long flight and the night manager would not accept my government ID. I told him that prior to booking the hotel I had called customer service at this hotel and they said they would. He told me a rude manner that we only accept the new Smart ID gov card. I told him my agency DOJ/BOP is cheap and has not issued the smart card to us yet. He said, "that is not my fault". I will never ever book a Marriott hotel again. We then went to the double tree and booked one night with the government rate and my ID was accepted. The next 4 nights were spent at the Westin La Ploma Resort and Spa in Tucson with gov rate no problems. The La Ploma was wonderful. It had about 10 pools and all kinds of little animals running around on the grounds which overlooked the mountains. It was a lovely resort that I will book again on my next trip to Tucson.
BUT I WILL NEVER STAY AT ANOTHER MARRIOTT HOTEL AGAIN.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — Front desk night manager
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
4 Thank ohplezz
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 14, 2007

What a difference. Had stayed the night before at the airport Courtyard by Marriott and it was awful. Cut my stay short there and moved to the downtown Marriott and it was so much better.

Newer, clean hotel, with recently renovated rooms. Very nice lobby and parking accommodations. The rooms were spotless, had very comfortable beds, and had huge bathrooms.

All in all a great stay.

• Stayed July 2007
3 Thank habs07
Clifton Park NY
Reviewed June 6, 2007

Stayed here June 3-6, 2007 for U of A orientation. I look forward to staying here again to visit my daughter. It's a very pretty hotel. Rooms were good size. Beds are extremely comfortable. The shower head wasn't very strong, but I'm sure that's a water conservation issue. The pool is small and mostly in the shade by the afternoon which was a good thing when we were there because the temp was 102.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
3 Thank barbpol
Michigan
Reviewed March 15, 2007

I have stayed here for a business trip on 3 seperate occassions and the hotel and location are wonderful! The hotel is a bit pricey and not recommended for the budget traveler, although they do offer deals for those attending special conferences at the hotel. For me the best feature of the hotel is the bed, it is unsurpassed- allergy free down pillows and bedding is a wonderful experience away from home. The hotel is right on the U of A campus and is steps away from many resturants and small retail shops. The area also has a trolly that strolls up and down the back of the hotel and can take you to the 4th street district for more shopping and eating. Another plus of the hotel is the lobby atrium of cascading water falls and foliage that makes you feel welcome and relaxed.

• Liked — Comfortable bed, the lobby atrium.
  • Disliked — The only drawback is wireless internet is not free.
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled on business
5 Thank bmohlman
az
Reviewed December 28, 2006

Being a U of A grad my husband decided to surprise with me with a night away and tickets to the Wildcats vs. Cal. (yeah Cats we won).

When we checked into the hotel we were checked into a room on floor 9 which is the concierge level.

Ok this will sound cheesy but we have TONS of Marriott miles and in every other Marriott property we get this totally over the top greeting, here nada.

Now please understand we are not snobby, but c’mon everywhere we stay in a Marriott…. I mean in the middle of nowhere if we stay in a Marriott we get this huge welcome so off the bat we were thinking hmmm what is the deal?

The room was nice. Typical Marriott…we also went to see if we wanted to buy the Marriott bed. My husband travels a bit and he always raves about the bed so we thought hey let’s check out the whole bed package. (yes we did buy the bed)

But I digress… the room was nice, great toiletries and the view was super lots of plushy towels but only one robe...

I was very surprised to see a $9.95 charge for internet service.

At $200.00 a night I would think Internet would be free, especially on the Concierge Level and it is free at a Residence Inn…there were “hors deserves” served 5-7 but we were at the game there was a nice selection of desserts when we returned to the hotel and there was a turndown service but we did not have this in our room.

All in all good not great, but if you are here to see a student or a game you cannot beat the location.

• Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple