“Clean comfortable bed, convenient location”

Quality Inn Flamingo Downtown
Ranked #88 of 130 Hotels in Tucson
Santa Fe, New Mexico
“Clean comfortable bed, convenient location”
Reviewed April 11, 2013

The check-in was efficient. The place looks like retro 70's from outside but it's modern inside. Well appointed breakfast area with perhaps Ikea furniture. The rooms are redone, looks like, but showing some wear and tear. The fridge space in the room had no fridge and there was supply for coffee but no coffee maker! Bed was clean and comfortable and tv was flat screen. Air conditioner was good and had digital thermostat which is a plus. Breakfast was fine for the category of the motel but they had all maids and their family having breakfast there...good benefits I guess for the maids. They were helping each other but not to actual guests. This was on a Sunday morning and perhaps maids were allowed to bring their family that day? Overall, very convenient location to downtown and recommended.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
qualityflamingo, Guest Relations Manager at Quality Inn Flamingo Downtown, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and writing a review on Trip Advisor. I Apologize for the housekeeping issues and I have addressed the comments and made the necessary corrections so this will not happen in the future. We strive to insure that our guest have the Best possible stay and we welcome all feedback. I Thank you again for staying with us and I hope to see you in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Reviewed April 5, 2013

We have stayed here before, although I always hold my breath hoping it has not gone downhill. It is a bit of an adventurous stay, as the neighborhood is not that great, but if it is daylinght, we do sometimes walk the 1.25 miles to downtown. We stayed one night March 5, 2013, enroute driving between Texas and Washington state. Room was fine, except the carpet was just filthy, but we were too tired from driving to put up a big protest about it, figured we would just keep our socks on and tough it out. Socks ended up black. I reported the dirty carpet to the desk clerk as I checked out. She did not bat an eye, did not murmur a breath of an apology, did not even seem to hear me. That behavior leads me to believe she must hear it all the time and has neither time nor remedy for it. Some of the Choice Hotels can be a bit rundown, but they are usually clean and usually care if they are not clean. Oh well ...

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
qualityflamingo, Guest Relations Manager at Quality Inn Flamingo Downtown, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor. We apologize for your recent experience at the Quality Inn Flamingo and are in the process of changing our housekeeping procedures and implementing new training programs so this won’t happen in the future. We hope that you will try us again in the near future so you can see for yourself the new changes. Thank you again for the review and we hope you can give us another try.
Quebec City, Canada
Reviewed April 2, 2013

They nicely renovated it. I like the retro style well done and original. The rooms look new and nice and the bed really confortable. It was clean except for the shampoo on the bath wall (so do they wash it) and the bug in the bath. Location is ok, we walked to downtown but didn't want to come back at night (not sure it's a secure neighbour)... and pretty near the highway but not just next to it so no highway noise all night. But breakfast was disapointing... they were missing of almost everyting from the plates to anything else then bread and jam. Could have been really good with the choice if everything was not empty but try to eat the big waffles in a coffee-cup size plate !!! The 'senorita' at the breakfast could get some help when the motel is full...

The other thing I don't understand is they tell us to be green to re-use the towels, no problem for me as I do home, I can use it more the once... but why do we use plastic ustencils and foam plates for breakfast ?

We also got a call at 10h30 PM asking us to re-check-in because the computer was broken when we arrive. What the hell to call us at that time ? We don't know what was the history of that but really strange. We told them we would come at the desk the next morning and never heard of that after.

The pool area was nice but there were sand in it for the 3 days we had there...

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review on your recent stay with us and I apologize for the lack of Service at night and for some Housekeeping Issues. Since your stay we have hired someone to implement new policies and procedures that will greatly improve the comments in your review. We hope that you choose us in the future to see what we have accomplished since your last stay.
Scot in England
Reviewed April 2, 2013

We stayed for two nights....its billed as "Downtown"... suppose it is if you dont mind a 1.25 mile walk, with little or no street lighting. Free wi-fi ... that doesn't connect for more than 5 minutes without cutting off... Can I have some ice please? -- nope - we have run out!! Laundry ? Yes - do your washing then - when its soaking wet, discover that the drier is out of order - no indication of this in advance! Worst of all, in our room (132) when we had a shower and walked back across the carpet in the bedroom, feet were black - you had to wipe your feet on exit... never seen so much dirt in a carpet in my life.
I regret that the only "Quality" we found here was in the illuminated sign...

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your recent Review on Trip Advisor and I apologize for the problems with the Wi-Fi, Housekeeping issues and Laundry Facilities. Since your last stay we have hired someone new to improve on all aspects of our hotel and we are retraining all departments to set higher standards and to be aware of issues that can be immediately fixed or repaired. We hope you can give us another chance in the future to see what we have accomplished since your last stay. Thank you again for staying with us and your review.
Michigander Transplant
Reviewed March 29, 2013 via mobile

Had I known this is so close to the university, I would have been less critical at the onset (and more surprised), but for the most part it was an enjoyable experience.

Pros: inexpensive, nicely refurbished, clean, great front desk peeps, wicked great wifi clear at the back of the property.

Cons: we got two rooms, mine was back at the corner on the bottom floor and didn't have the nice window treatment that my boys had on their windows (see pictures) which was unsettling seeing how poorly they provided privacy. Also, the security latch was broken and my door didn't fit snug in the jamb. There was a poorly patched hole in the bathroom door but no bigee, I didn't see it until morning and the aesthetics weren't greatly affected. Also, the clientele (college kids it seemed) were loud, smoked from the balconies, and flicked ashes without any regard for people walking along the pathway. More enforcement of policies would have been ideal.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Adventurous_S_Mom
Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor and we appreciate your comments and will praise the Pro’s and work on the Con’s so your next stay will be even better than the first. I have shared the review with the staff and I would like to thank you again for taking time out of your day to write this review. We strive to be the best and the feedback from our guests helps us towards that path. We look forward to seeing you on future visits.
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I had to spend a few days in Tucson this month to attend a conference and since I was funding it myself, I didn't want to stay at the resort where the conference was being held but wanted someplace safe and clean where I could sleep since the rest of the day would be spent at the resort. I looked at a lot of low-cost hotel/motel reviews, including the standard low-cost places like Motel 6, Days Inn, etc. and many of those reviews were pretty scary. So I chose the Flamingo. This is a 60's era motel, 2 stories, no elevator and in a slightly sketchy area but not far from the U of A and close to Pima College. The public spaces of the hotel are a bit worn but not bad but the room was updated and clean, with a comfortable bed, flat panel TV, good wi-fi (free) service and had windows that opened. The bathroom was decent, no major cleanliness issues, just the normal dings and dents rooms get over time. My pet peeve are lights that also put on the fan, which this had, and the light switch was behind the door so it took time to find. But all in all a decent bathroom.

The free Continental breakfast was fine, included cereal, eggs, breads/pastries, juices, coffee, etc. Nothing fancy but sufficient and filling. The check-in/check-out process was easy and efficient. I couldn't use my CHoiceHotel number since I had booked/paid for the room through an on-line travel site (Tingo), but they told me how to add the stay once I got home. So good and friendly service. For $55 a night, I had no complaints and was pleasantly surprised by the whole experience. I would recommend the Flamingo for an economical choice near downtown Tucson.

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms in the back of the hotel are probably a bit quieter.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for staying with the Quality Inn Flamingo and for writing a positive review on Trip Advisor. We take pride in the Quality Inn Flamingo’s Retro Feel and we updated the rooms to feel modern and unique. We our glad you enjoyed the extended breakfast buffet and we continue to add items to ensure everyone’s need are meet. We are taking your comments and using them to make us a better property and we hope you can see the positive changes on your next trip to Tucson. Thank you again and we look forward to serving you again.
Tucson
Reviewed March 5, 2013

Newly remodeled or so it looked like it was. Room smelled musty right as you walked into room and also during our stay. Only bad thing about room. Towels kind of thin. Continental breakfast was nothing to brag about.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

qualityflamingo, General Manager at Quality Inn Flamingo Downtown, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Thank you so much for your review and comments. We have been recently upgraded and continue to make improvements to our rooms and breakfast. We thank you very much and value your business with us. The staff and I hope to see you again next time you are in the Tucson area.