“Great fifties atmosphere”

Ranked #90 of 130 Hotels in Tucson
Amsterdam
“Great fifties atmosphere”
Reviewed November 23, 2011

The Quality Inn Flamingo is a real fifties style motel now under the wings of the Quality Inn hotel chain.
On the one hand it’s sad that it’s not independently owned anymore but on the other hand I think Quality Inn did a great job restoring on of these special places.
I really liked the mid century modern looking lobby and breakfast room. At the end of our corridor were still a few rooms under construction not sure if they remain like this or they are restoring them as well.
The pool looked nice but I didn’t use it. There was a tub but it was also under construction.
The price was good, $52,- with a coupon and I got it for 2 nights.
Breakfast was a bit poor for vegetarians, just toast with jelly and the second morning the jelly wasn’t there and I had to ask for it.
The location is perfect, close to the Interstate and close to Speedway where most of the shops and restaurants are.
There were indeed walking around a few strange people on the street, when I was doing the check in my husband even saw a homeless guy wiping off his you know what and throwing the paper near the hotel entrance.
But this is normal in a city and the hotel feels very safe.
The room we had was 225 or 227 (not sure anymore), I asked if I could get one over there and that was possible.
It was on the top floor at the back with a nice view on the property. Nice blue painted walls and a good shower. It was a little bit dusty under the curtains but that didn’t bother me.
The bathroom had a window, I really like showering with daylight. I do not remember if it could be opened or not.
In the lobby was a (promotional off course) box with free toothpaste from Crest.
Overall I enjoyed my stay and I will definitely stay there again next time in Tucson !

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
qualityflamingo, General Manager at Quality Inn Flamingo Downtown, responded to this review, November 29, 2011
Thank you for taking the time out of your day to write a review. The Quality Inn was built in 1953 and designed by Tucson Architect Anne J. Rysdale. The Quality Inn Flamingo is part of Choice Hotels International but it is also individual owned and operated. We are taking Great pride in making sure that the Quality Inn Flamingo reflects it's past while staying modern. We look forward to seeing you in the future.

The Quality Inn Flamingo Staff

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
ATL
Reviewed November 20, 2011

We chose this property due to its close location to the start/stop of the Tour de Tucson 111-mile ride. We were a little concerned, given the age of the property, but after reading other Trip Advisor reviews, felt it would work for our purposes. We were not disappointed! Pluses: Our room had new carpet, a nice kingsize bed with tasteful linens and comfy pillows, a fridge, microwave, and decent tv. Bathroom was clean with lots of hot water! The staff worked hard to meet the needs of riders- they set up breakfast early on Saturday prior to the race, and again on Sunday for those who were departing Tucson early. Minuses: the pool/hot tub were not in operation; it would have been nice to use them following the bike ride. The towels were pretty standard; since the bed linens have been updated, it would be nice to have a little nicer towel set in the bath. Good value for the money; it met all of our needs for a great cycling weekend.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time out of your day to write your review. We did recently renovate the rooms and are working hard to make sure the rest of the property is in the same condition. Thank you for not only choosing to stay at the Quality Inn Flamingo but also participating in the El Tour de Tucson. We hope to see you again next year.
Yellowknife
Reviewed October 24, 2011

We made a point of coming back here, since we really enjoyed our visit in 2010. We were a little disappointed this time: The shallow pool ("spa") was dirty and we couldn't use it. There was a problem with the toilet in our room. We did receive a friendly email from management afterwards. Front desk staff very friendly.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for taking your time to write your review on the Quality Inn Flamingo. I apoligize that the Spa was down on your visit and we are working hard to insure that does not happen in the future. We are making strides to improve the guests overall experience and we hope you give the Quality Inn Flamingo another chance when staying in Tucson.
Bexley, Kent
Reviewed October 22, 2011

When turning into this hotel it looks like you are turning into a 1-2 star motel, but once inside (reception & room) it's up a couple of stars. I would like to give it 3 stars, but the price was pretty good, so i'll not be mean. After the last few hotels we stayed in with weak coffee, I really liked the coffee they had here. I also liked the pillows - the last few hotels we've been in had plump pillows, but this meant a crooked neck while sleeping - these had a lot more give.

Slight let downs were weak wi-fi (free) - even in reception area?! No ice machine; the area surrounding the hotel is a little run down.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Stormcab
Thank you for your time in writing your review. We apoligize that the WiFi signal was not as strong as it should be and we made steps to improve the strenght. The Quality Inn Flamingo prides itself on the Hot Fresh Healthy Breakfast, Clean Rooms and Accomadating Staff and we want to insure that every guest has a Great Stay. Thank you again and we hope the next time your in Tucson you make us your Choice.
Green Valley, Arizona, United States
Reviewed October 22, 2011

I always enjoy my stay here at the Quality Inn Flamingo, everytime!! I enjoy the service and the breakfast in the morning. Although the breakfast attendant could smile a little more, the breakfast makes up for it. Frank, (the tall gentleman) at the front desk is the most polite and friendliest of all the staff. Somebody may have had a problem, but we need to remember that the staff is FOLLOWING MANAGERIAL dicatation. I will continue to stay here at the hotel everytime I am in Tucson, Az.

Room Tip: Upper floors rarely get used....fyi
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank Frank B
Essex, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 17, 2011

The room itself was very good - clean and comfortable, with good facilities (though I've noticed from another review that the gap underneath the TV should've contained a fridge). The location is excellent - convenient for the freeway without being too close and just north of downtown on Stone Avenue. Even the sign is in-keeping with the surroundings (this part of Tucson has the feel of a decaying 50s city, which I find very appealing). But the customer service is, in my experience, hopeless. A very gruff, monosyllabic check-in manager made no mention (let alone an apology, given that it was 100 degrees) of the pool being out-of-order - it was cloudy and the jacuzzi was empty and coned-off - and the WiFi password had to be prompted, rather than being proffered. The WiFi itself was fine until it stopped functioning on the second day (apparently because of too many users, but with four cars in the parking lot, I found that unlikely). When I mentioned the WiFi problem on check-out, the clerk gave no indication it was a problem for her (not even a trace of an apology, even if there was nothing she could have done). Not even the relatively low room rate can compensate for the feeling that they'd prefer you stayed somewhere else. My advice is that you do.

Room Tip: First-floor rooms can mean a fair bit of walking as there are only two sets of stairs.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Calgary
Reviewed August 12, 2011

So this place was a steal and with the mixed reviews we weren't quite sure what we were getting. The sign is old fashioned, err about 48 years old, when it, and its sister hotels were built in Vegas and other tourist resorts. At the time it was the top hotel in Tucson as it had the first individual air conditioned rooms. John Wayne had a permanent room here for filming at Tucson studios and Elvis stayed in room 103.

So yes, it is old, there are no flamingos, but they have done a good facelift, the bathroom was relatively clean and the beds and linen were really high end. A fridge, flat screen TV, coffee and microwave were in the room. Yes the carpet was filthy, under the curtains but actually everywhere we stayed in Arizona had filthy carpets, I don't think Arizona has hoovers.

As for service I met three different people on reception, on the first night was Colin, who was amazing, full of information and new how to deliver great service. He recommended where to eat, offered to book the restaurant and helped with directions. He was amusing, tolerant of customers and was probably the person who everyone talks about when they talk about the great service. Next morning was a very tall grumpy gentlemen on reception, who is probably the person people talk about when they say the service is very poor, he was rude and unhelpful. I mentioned the internet not working and he just shrugged. Finally there was a lady on reception and she was adequate, somewhere between the two.

There is a pool which is peasant, it was 115F when we were there. The breakfast offered a good range of food, but the typical Quality Inn disposable plates and cups, with no regard for environmental impact. Also the food is a little plastic, but at the price, locally produced quality ingredients may not be a priority.

Would definitely consider staying here again!

Room Tip: Room 103, so you can sleep with Elvis!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family