“Nice experience, hidden gem”

Lodge on the Desert
Ranked #20 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
Reviewed September 23, 2010

Loved this little botique hotel. Great location, charming, romantic atmosphere, good service. I called late and requested a quiet room. The room was large and comfortable, bathroom a bit small but I was traveling alone so it wasn't a problem. Green bath products, free Wi Fi. Great beds! I will definitely be back for a longer stay with my hubby as it is a very romantic place.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank Beachgirl555

Reviewed August 31, 2010

I recently stayed in this hotel when I was bringing my some to college in the area. The service was excellent, they were always very willing to please. The first room we stayed in had a problem with the internet, they were very willing to change our room. The rooms were very spacious, and the beds quite comfortable. The last room I stayed in needed some updating, there were some areas on the walls that were partially patched. Overall it was a great place for the price. The pool area was nice, and clean. They have a small restaurant and bar, which looked nice, but we didn't eat there.
It is located close to some of the main shopping areas, and a short drive from the airport.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank edwindonna
Reviewed August 11, 2010

After reading many good reviews I would have to say my expectations were set very high for this hotel. During check in we had to have our keys remade 3 times before they would work. This is after walking across a maze of a resort in 110 degree heat just to walk back to let them know our keys didn't work. After finally getting into our room, soaking in the AZ sun, we found our air conditioner didn't work. We turned it down and waited but for no reply. We called the front desk that then moved us to another room, which they said happens often, and we once again trekked around this lost desert. Our next room's AC worked fine and was rather pleasant but the room did not have a refrigerator like shown to us over our reservations booking and on top of that we had trouble with our wireless connection. After finally settling in we made the trip to the restaurant to enjoy two complementary cocktails from our room package. We were told they were closed for lunch because it 'wasn't busy' but we could enjoy the cocktails in the bar anyways. We were so hungry so we decided to leave and eat somewhere else. This place is certainly not ready to be open if every guest has experiences like ours. hopefully, it was just a bad day and everyone isn't getting Lost at Lodge on the Desert.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank boxerman22
Reviewed July 20, 2010

Lodge on the Desert was recommended to me by a friend I was visiting in Tucson. It's been redecorated, and the rooms are actually much nicer in person than they look on the hotel website. My king room was spacious, clean, and quiet.

Since I was visiting friends, I wasn't in Tucson for a special event, and the hotel was situated close to my friend's neighborhood. It's right in the middle of town, so it seemed really convenient to everything.

The pool was really nice, but I did not have a chance to visit the restaurant/bar. The staff at check in were friendly and my early check in was a breeze.

I would stay there again!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank poppersRNO
Reviewed June 6, 2010

This hotel was much more than expected. We chose the old part of the hotel and did not regret it. Although wireless internet reception is shady there, it was definitively worth it. The rooms are like small cute cottages with porches, private desert garden and even a small patio table and chairs. Huge cactuses and all sorts of other desert plants. Loved it!!
Beautiful room with a fire place (fire place was even on!). The beds were extremely comfortable. Staff was very kind and helpful. We loved it and will be definitively coming back.

• Stayed: February 2010
1  Thank liljana
Reviewed May 27, 2010

This hotel is supposed to be renovated, but we had an "historic" room. Although it was VERY large, with a sitting area and a fireplace, the bathroom was tiny. It was also painted lime green, and the sink had a big crack in it, from the edge right down to the drain. Everything in the bathroom looked like they got it from Home Depot thirty years ago. The restaurant was pretty bad, for breakfast at least. How do you screw up toast? I ordered a $12 (before tax and tip) glass of chardonnay (the only chardonnay on the menu) from the bar, and it came flat (over- aerated), like it was opened last month, and barely even cool. I had to put ice in it - a lot of ice! The service in the restaurant and bar was friendly, but neglectful. The swimming pool is very, very small, but it did have two fountains, so that redeemed it somewhat. This place is not bad for a day or two, but I wouldn't stay here for any longer than that.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank mtg4
Reviewed May 17, 2010

My husband and I stayed here for a weekend getaway even though we live 1 block away. The historic hotel has been totally remodeled and is absolutely beautiful. Service was exceptionable. The front desk clerk Jorge was so nice. He took me to see the suites and newer rooms. We stayed in an older room that was spacious and had a firplace right across the beautiful turf greens,. It was fun watching the croquet players. We enjoyed our weekend so much we added another night because we didn't want to leave. The white wine on tap was delicious and a bargain at 5 a glass. We plan many more staycations here. Roberta O'Key

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple