“Get a new room, then excellent”

Lodge on the Desert
Ranked #23 of 130 Hotels in Tucson
Kingsport Tennessee
“Get a new room, then excellent”
Reviewed June 3, 2009

.A four night stay. Paid $105 per. First given an old room, very tired. About to move to Arizona Inn (at considerably more), said so at front desk, and was promptly moved to a new room. Rest of stay was excellent, room was great, restaurant was ok first night, slow the second night. Ate elsewhere rest of time. Location is great for various locations in the Tucson area. Would return, but only if the room is new.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (329)
Phoenix
Reviewed June 2, 2009

Yes, they're still remodeling but why, when so many rooms were vacant, did they put us into a room where a worker's tools were stored right outside one of the windows? He was throwing things, banging around at 5:45 a.m.! Why did they call us at 6:30 a.m. to move our car so that they could work on the parking lot? Couldn't they have told us where to park when we checked in or barricaded those spots where work is being done?

Only 1 of the 2 small air conditioners in the room worked and they are very weird - difficult to figure out how to make them work and the front desk was no help either. Not cool enough for Tucson summertime.

Fan in bathroom is a vintage 60s fan that sounds like an airplane taking off. Can't even hear yourself think!

The mini blinds wouldn't close; the wand to close them was missing - looked right out to a courtyard where other guests entered their rooms. Sure, I want to sleep in a room with my windows open to the world! We figured out how to close them by running our hands up and over them. Yuk.

On the plus side, the room is huge with 2 queen beds and a fireplace, saltillo tile floors. Beds very comfortable.

The pool area looked lovely, although we didn't have time to enjoy it. Skipped dinner in their restaurant, lowest priced dinner was $19.

This could be a wonderful lodge, centrally located but - some of the updates are quality, others are shoddy at best. To get a great boutique hotel rating, they need better quality control.

I would love to recommend the hotel had we been placed in one of the rooms that received glowing reports from others. I'm very disappointed - although this is business (university orientation), we had hoped for a nice, relaxing evening and to sleep in this morning.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
San Jose CA
Reviewed May 22, 2009

My stay at Lodge was disappointing. Not only did I have a snippy front desk attendant give me the wrong directions ( causing me to get lost in the dark for over an hour) but I brought a salad to my room, was charged for room service and listened to a buzzer outside all night. My bathtub was plugged; leaving me in a very bad mood in the morning. There was a very nice hotel desk attendant in the am that was sympathetic but really couldn't do anything
The rooms were okay but I must say that I think the photos are deceiving. I will not be back.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank KT-7
Washington, DC
Reviewed May 5, 2009

Ask for Room 242: a huge room with two seating areas, a kitchen bar, wonderful king size bed, walk-in closet, nice bathroom, and its own private balcony with dining table and chairs and a view of the mountains. Decoration is hand-painted. The best! Helpful staff. Reception building is lovely with a library. Construction is still going on but is not loud or sloppy.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Eugene, OR
Reviewed January 21, 2009

Our experience at this vintage hotel could not have been better. Huge, vintage, beautifully appointed room, stellar service, and a hard to believe low rate: best bang for the buck you'll likely ever encounter... at least until the construction is completed later this year . Awesome place..and walking distance to 2 equally awesome golf courses. Do yourself a favor, avoid the high rise Corporate boxes, and book a room at the Lodge instead.

• Liked — The spacious room; comfortable bed; sunny courtyard; awesome service
  • Disliked — Cable Tv is on the fritz; probably due to ongoing contruction
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank knockoutfiles
St Augustine FL
Reviewed October 20, 2008

My mother and I just spent 4 days in Tucson, staying at the Lodge. I had read about it on-line. Aside from it sounding attractive, it was located just 1.5 miles from my son, who we were visiting.

The beginning was inauspicious. We could scarcely find the Registration desk (if you're newly coming in, turn at the large rust colored pillars, and head right to park). Problem is the construction, which as previous reviewer noted, was pervasive.
'Tis true. And parking can be a terrible problem if there are other occupants, or a meeting in session. I think once all is done there, it will probably be very elegant, but right now it's a pain to get into.

However, once into the compound, I was very satisfied with the service and the accommodations. We shared a King bed and had a sitting area besides; 2 TVS, sufficient coffee for daily brews, and quite adequate bathroom--not luxurious--but fine. I found the computer in the lobby very useful every morning. We ate one breakfast in the restaurant and one dinner. They were both good meals, the chilean sea bass particularly excellent. My grandchildren used the pool, along with me, and it was perfectlly fine.

One morning we were warned the electricity would be off for two hours (for construction); however, we were gone before this happened, and the recompense was a free Continental breakfast. Any way, if you choose to go here, I would suggest you try to negotiate a price to make up for the inconvenciences you will endure with the ongoing construction.

• Liked — Roominess; computer use; service
  • Disliked — Parking!!
  • Stayed October 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank kayakbabe44
Reviewed September 28, 2008

I really wanted to like The Lodge on the Desert, I'd read all the reviews and talked to the hotel before we left. We thought the construction was minimal and could be overlooked. We were wrong! It was everywhere and dominated the experience. Even the restaurant, patio and lounge faced a construction fence. It truly doesn't look like the pictures anymore.
The restaurant had one diner on a Friday night and the menu is expensive. Perhaps the food is good but the place felt deserted. We found that we just stayed away except to sleep. On the plus side, the bed was very comfortable and the staff was very friendly and I think they are trying hard. It's a shame because for the rates it really should be better than this. For us the most disappointed part of this experience was that there was no place outside our room to relax - what we most needed and were looking forward to.

• Liked — good location, historic
  • Disliked — all the construction, no outdoor places to relax, not a pleasant place to be at this time
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank vanvalin