“Respite in the Desert”

Ranked #23 of 130 Hotels in Tucson
Seneca, South Carolina
“Respite in the Desert”
Reviewed May 13, 2014

I was riding my motorcycle from SC to CA and decided to take a day's break in Tucson. My daughter booked me into this hotel through Hotwire and it was incredible! My room, while in the older section, was comfortable and well appointed. The real find was the restaurant. The food, the wine selection, the ambiance and service were all incredible.
Overall, this is a first class resort and really made my next day's ride through the desert to LA doable. Next time I'm in Tucson, I'll be staying at The Lodge on the Desert.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank 907Michael_S907

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (332)
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed May 13, 2014

Beautiful setting, landscaping, and room. Nothing like a king sized be with ice cold sheets! If only the guest next door didn't play loud hip hop music till 6;00 IN THE A.M.! Called about breakfast the next morning, said they were serving until 11:00. Sat down and no one would wait on us. My husband finally asked someone who said no more breakfast that brunch was getting ready to start (it was only 10:00). Busy weekend so waiting lines every other place we went so donuts for Mother's Day!

Room Tip: Avoid a room with East rising sun!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Oakland, California
Reviewed May 10, 2014

• Tucson is not my favorite town so when I come its nice to be nestled right up against the Catalina foothills. However, these places are a bit of a drive and quite expensive. A good compromise is the Lodge on the Desert. It’s historic yet the rooms, both historic and new additions, are spacious and very well appointed. The beds were marvelously comfortable. However, the rooms are all different so if you are not happy with the room given, ask to see another. The staff is very helpful. Parking is free and the Lodge is conveniently located. The cactus gardens are lovely - and I hope they follow through with a plan to name some of the specimens. The pool and hot tub are well designed and maintained.. Don't miss the Happy Hour - 4-6. Great value on drinks and food!!!!
• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business

Room Tip: As all the rooms are different you may, if there is availability, look at more than one. Some have...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Bailieboro, Canada
Reviewed April 29, 2014

last week i stayed one night at lodge on the desert ..before proceeeding to a house we rent ,,,,what a sumptuous oasis that is....gorgeous accomodations....first class service and meals......wow......so enjoyed it .....i had eaten there before,,,but never stayed....it is so lovely ....i wanted to stay ! every detail has been looked after at lodge on the desert......highly recommend them ........fabulous place.....

Room Tip: i was up on the second level i guess,,,,,,spectacular views....quiet.....big room !
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
San Diego, California
Reviewed April 28, 2014

The Lodge is an legend in the Tucson. After many years of wanting to try this enigmatic grand dame, we spent a weekend there in January. It is lovely. It is cozy. The room was beautiful. The restaurant was outstanding. Unfortunately, during our stay my son became very ill. I was dumbfounded at the lack of support, empathy, or service effort anyone at the hotel was willing to provide to us out-of-towners during our crisis. I wasn't demanding anything, we just needed a little help. It was such a disappointment. I would have never expected it from this, of all, places.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank wendy w
Frank R, General Manager at Lodge on the Desert, responded to this review, April 29, 2014
Thank you for your comments. I appreciate your kind words for our hotel. I also sincerely regret the circumstances regarding your son. I would appreciate your contacting me regarding this and allowing me the opportunity to look into it and get back to you. It is without question not consistent with the reputation our hotel is know for. We have assisted all of our guests requiring assistance in matters such as you describe and I would like to investigate this matter further. Again, thank you for your comments and I wish to speak with you regarding this.
Sincerely
puerto rico
Reviewed April 28, 2014

This is a beautiful Lodge with a true south west desert feel for past and present. The grounds are just beautiful filled with attention to desert landscape and filled with the sounds of birds.
I am from Tucson and found a great deal with Hotwire to the Lodge on the Desert to bring a visiting friend from the east coast.
The room was clean and comfortable on the "old side" which is great, however the grounds adjacent to outside relax area in front of our room had quite a bit of cigarette butts which were cleaned promptly after I called front desk. The linens were crisp and clean, however in between draw sheets was a quilt which we had to see as the texture under sheet was very lump. bumpy and curious.
It was a quilt indeed overused with multiple lint balls...appeared clean but very unappealing.
The manager visited us to see this and initially felt this was "acceptable" then changed his mind to unacceptable and quickly removed and pointed out to housekeeping (note this is 2nd day here) ..it was 2pm and room still not done. He was however gracious and apologizing..
We really were comfortable here despite this and were interested in extending our stay 3 more nights. The front desk reception young lady could or would not assist us with a reasonable rate so we checked out as planned after 2days.
OH!
we had a good breakfast at the restaurant, however my pancakes tasted great but the plate was presented to me with a fingerprint at the edge with what appeared to be berries that were not part of my order! The server shrugged her shoulders...really!
So. Yes a great place but.........
attention to detail would've been nice.
The evening front desk gentleman was very pleasant and would've assisted us with a better rate for staying longer but he left before we spoke to him.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
arizona, british columbia
Reviewed April 27, 2014

room was very nice with an excellent bed, roomy and tastefully appointed
it appeared to have been recently renovated, was in the northernmost section

WiFi and TV worked fine

it was not "accessible" and truly would not have been acceptable for anyone frail or disabled
there are no bars at all in the tub or shower
the doors are very heavy and maintenance had to try several replacements to find one i could use
(i'm used to the plastic hotel card-keys)

the tiny patio is pretty tiny and is surrounded by a 6 ft wall, so not much of a view
i did not find much place to sit outside anywhere near the room, which would have been nice

the dining area had a nice ambiance, outdoor, fireplace
the staff was all extremely friendly and helpful, tho one of the front desk people was a bit surly

overall a very nice place to stay

Room Tip: be sure to ask for accessible if you want hand-holds in the bathroom
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends