“first class lodging ~!”

Lodge on the Desert
Ranked #18 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
Reviewed April 29, 2014

last week i stayed one night at lodge on the desert ..before proceeeding to a house we rent ,,,,what a sumptuous oasis that is....gorgeous accomodations....first class service and meals......wow......so enjoyed it .....i had eaten there before,,,but never stayed....it is so lovely ....i wanted to stay ! every detail has been looked after at lodge on the desert......highly recommend them ........fabulous place.....

Room Tip: i was up on the second level i guess,,,,,,spectacular views....quiet.....big room !
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Lodge on the Desert

Reviewed April 28, 2014

The Lodge is an legend in the Tucson. After many years of wanting to try this enigmatic grand dame, we spent a weekend there in January. It is lovely. It is cozy. The room was beautiful. The restaurant was outstanding. Unfortunately, during our stay my son became very ill. I was dumbfounded at the lack of support, empathy, or service effort anyone at the hotel was willing to provide to us out-of-towners during our crisis. I wasn't demanding anything, we just needed a little help. It was such a disappointment. I would have never expected it from this, of all, places.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank wendy w
Frank R, General Manager at Lodge on the Desert, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2014

Thank you for your comments. I appreciate your kind words for our hotel. I also sincerely regret the circumstances regarding your son. I would appreciate your contacting me regarding this and allowing me the opportunity to look into it and get back to you. It is without question not consistent with the reputation our hotel is know for. We have assisted all of our guests requiring assistance in matters such as you describe and I would like to investigate this matter further. Again, thank you for your comments and I wish to speak with you regarding this.
Sincerely

Reviewed April 28, 2014

This is a beautiful Lodge with a true south west desert feel for past and present. The grounds are just beautiful filled with attention to desert landscape and filled with the sounds of birds.
I am from Tucson and found a great deal with Hotwire to the Lodge on the Desert to bring a visiting friend from the east coast.
The room was clean and comfortable on the "old side" which is great, however the grounds adjacent to outside relax area in front of our room had quite a bit of cigarette butts which were cleaned promptly after I called front desk. The linens were crisp and clean, however in between draw sheets was a quilt which we had to see as the texture under sheet was very lump. bumpy and curious.
It was a quilt indeed overused with multiple lint balls...appeared clean but very unappealing.
The manager visited us to see this and initially felt this was "acceptable" then changed his mind to unacceptable and quickly removed and pointed out to housekeeping (note this is 2nd day here) ..it was 2pm and room still not done. He was however gracious and apologizing..
We really were comfortable here despite this and were interested in extending our stay 3 more nights. The front desk reception young lady could or would not assist us with a reasonable rate so we checked out as planned after 2days.
OH!
we had a good breakfast at the restaurant, however my pancakes tasted great but the plate was presented to me with a fingerprint at the edge with what appeared to be berries that were not part of my order! The server shrugged her shoulders...really!
So. Yes a great place but.........
attention to detail would've been nice.
The evening front desk gentleman was very pleasant and would've assisted us with a better rate for staying longer but he left before we spoke to him.

Reviewed April 27, 2014

room was very nice with an excellent bed, roomy and tastefully appointed
it appeared to have been recently renovated, was in the northernmost section

WiFi and TV worked fine

it was not "accessible" and truly would not have been acceptable for anyone frail or disabled
there are no bars at all in the tub or shower
the doors are very heavy and maintenance had to try several replacements to find one i could use
(i'm used to the plastic hotel card-keys)

the tiny patio is pretty tiny and is surrounded by a 6 ft wall, so not much of a view
i did not find much place to sit outside anywhere near the room, which would have been nice

the dining area had a nice ambiance, outdoor, fireplace
the staff was all extremely friendly and helpful, tho one of the front desk people was a bit surly

overall a very nice place to stay

Room Tip: be sure to ask for accessible if you want hand-holds in the bathroom
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 26, 2014

Been here several times and always found it very private, quaint and quiet. Right in downtown Tucson convenient to everything. Roomy rooms, well kept grounds and easy in-out access. Restaurant on premise.

Reviewed April 25, 2014

Our stay at Lodge on the Desert has been spectacular. I highly recommend. The staff is warm, cleaning staff gracious and first class, the foods (and margaritas) are excellent, the pool is charming. One can visualize within the walls the elegance of Tuscon in a former day. I wanted to add clarity to the gentleman who expressed his disappointment in his older style room with out-dated carpet. There are 2 sides to the hotel, the older 'traditional' rooms, and the new 'deluxe' rooms. We stayed in both, and enjoyed both equally. The tradition rooms are less cost, and offer a softer, old-fashioned adobe and stucco feel which I suppose is not everyone's cup of tea. But it has charm and a softness I found so comforting. The staff is excellent about informing customers of the difference. We bought through Expedia, and were treated with first class care and attention. In my opinion, the Lodge is quite the find in a world that is too quick to dismiss the elegance of what was, while allowing for the new definition of elegance, side by side. Oh - not to forget, the big screen tv's make baseball season that much more fun!

Room Tip: we loved the interior block of rooms away from parking lots and within view of the pool
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed April 24, 2014

My husband and I recently stayed for two nights at the Lodge on the Desert in Tucson,Az.
I had read the trip advisor reviews first and was very impressed with this establishment. Every one of the staff were helpful and friendly. The restaurant was delicious. The grounds are gorgeous with a cactus garden and many beautiful flowers. The grounds are charming reminiscent of an old spanish style abode. The rooms were beautifully updated. I understand this hotel has been around since the early 1950's or even earlier. It is kept immaculate and up to date. This was our first trip to Tucson and would love to visit here again.

Room Tip: We were upgraded to a second floor room, which had beautiful mountain views.
1  Thank Jeansviews