“Great stay”

Lodge on the Desert
Ranked #15 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
Reviewed November 21, 2013

Lovely, pretty place. Comfortable room. We enjoyed staying there and would certainly return and recommend it. Nicer view on the second floor if you do not mind stairs. Good food at restaurant; service should be better and more pleasant.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,034)

Reviewed November 21, 2013

Everyone in my party was so very pleased with this hotel! I had a surprise party for my mother's 90th birthday here, and the whole hotel staff was not only in on it, but they actively helped the surprise along, and enjoyed it immensely. The staff was very helpful when I called several times in advance to book reservations, when we arrived, the staff not only met my needs with the four rooms that I took, but they made sure that I was happy with the location, room arrangements, etc. The head manager, Frank, personally asked how everything was going each day, and made sure to personally help any request I had. Wow! What incredible service! The rooms were great (love those fireplaces!!), and the location was just right (close to downtown, but private and quiet). Not only would I personally stay here again, but the other 9 of us said that they would do the same!! Thank you, Lodge on the Desert, for making our stay comfortable, wonderful, and a vacation to remember!

Room Tip: We asked for the ground floor, away from the road. It was perfect!!
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed November 20, 2013

I love staying at Lodge on the Desert. It is a beautiful property. It is very comfortable. The rooms are very tastefully decorated. The room even had a fireplace. The beds are very comfortable and the room was very clean. There is no tub, but the shower is big and the shower head is good. I would like to stay here often.

Room Tip: No elevators for second floor rooms.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Sharla P
Reviewed November 13, 2013

Very large room with double sink bathroom and large shower and corner fireplace.
No elevator doe second floor rooms. Several independent buildings.
Breakfast not included. Good location for museums or University activities.
Nice pool and whirlpool. Good happy hour in restaurant. Very comfortable outdoor restaurant seeting with fireplace,
Room 230 problem with shower head. Shrill and loud noise when in use. Reported but maintenance said it could not be fixed. ODD.
Rooms a little noisy if neighbors come in late.

Room Tip: choose a room at back of Lodge not facing Alvernon street.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 8, 2013

The Lodge may be set on the desert, but it surely is an escape from the loud and dry desert city that is Tucson. Don't get me wrong, there are many pretty places in the desert, but coming from a walkable and green city, after spending all day in the desert beating sun, it was a relief to be able to retreat to the Lodge.

As busy as the road the Lodge is set on, once you enter the gate, you'll immediately feel like you're 1000 miles away. It's quiet, clean, and the grounds well-maintained. I was there from Saturday through Tuesday and stayed in a room toward the back with a view of the pool. With the exception of Saturday night when a bunch of tennis players in town for a tournament partying it up by the pool, the room was very quiet with great sun all day. My room with a king bed is also sizable with a nice big two-sink bathroom. The best part about the room though is definitely the bed. It is amazingly comfortable that I wanted to take it home with me. The bed and the bedding.

Amenities is a little limited at the hotel compared to some others that include shuttle and breakfast, but it's about a mile and a half from a Whole Foods and within 3 miles from several great diners that you should feel good about distributing your wealth among local businesses. There are several buses close to the hotel too, including one that goes to the airport (~8mi), but I imagine most people would have a car to get around in Tucson. Free wifi is included and worked perfectly during my stay.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 6, 2013

As usual I booked my flights on hipmunk.com (the fastest and most amazing way to book in my opinion - try it!), but hotel was selected for me by U. Arizona where I visited. I arrived late at night. Fast service at front desk to a large room for a comfortable night's sleep. Left early next morning at 6:30 am to airport. The Southwest decor is appealing and wish I had more time. Would gladly stay again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank The-CA-Engineer
Reviewed November 4, 2013

I read the negative reviews and compared them to our experience. Some might have been done before or during construction of the latest addition and others might have had an axe to grind.

The place itself is in a residential neighborhood which grew up around this old home. I don't think the neighborhood was seedy as some have said. Use Google Street View and see for yourself. The street seemed busy with a fair amount of traffic. That disappears as soon as you drive in thanks to the high wall around the property. The lobby was warm and inviting and the person who greeted us was friendly and professional. We had a one bedroom suite in the NW corner of the property. The place was extremely clean and fresh. I agree with two other reviewers that the living room could have more furnishings and wall art. You also can see the sink plumbing when you are using the toilet. Big deal. Bed was very comfortable.

The place is not Ventana but nor are the prices. It is one of the larger suites we've had and we were paying $150 a night, the same as you pay for a room at either of two chain hotels within blocks. All the staff, from front desk to housekeeping to bar tenders were friendly and helpful. We had a delightful time and will stay here again the next time we're in Tucson.

See my separate review for the restaurant.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple