“We'll be back!”

Lodge on the Desert
Ranked #20 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
Reviewed May 2, 2013

We stayed here in February to explore the University of Arizona. Loved the university AND this hotel! We will be back to both. THE best margarita is served at the bar. They use fresh juice and it was truly spectacular! We sat outside the bar in front of the fireplace and did not want to leave. Beds were comfortable and the room was very spacious. There was a sofa and chair in the TV area which was nice.The gas fireplace in the room was useful and enjoyed as AZ had a cold spell. We enjoyed the pool and spa as well. The boy chose UofA so we will be back in August!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed May 1, 2013

We spent a week at the Lodge on the Desert. What an excellent experience. The accommodations were wonderful. We enjoyed a one-bedroom suite with a view of the Catalina Mountains from both rooms. The living room had a charming beehive fireplace which we didn't actually use because of the warm weather. Both rooms had flat screen TVs. We really appreciated the mini-frig in the dining area. The bedding was extremely comfortable. The bath towels were some of the highest quality I have encountered in a hotel. Terry cloth robes for guests was a really nice touch. Housekeeping was thorough. The shower stall was a bit small and the shower head was to high to easily adjust.

The grounds are lovely with beautiful plan things and fountains here and there. The pool is a bit small for the number of guests at the hotel. The Lodge's restaurant is excellent. We enjoyed our breakfasts and dinners there. Their Happy Hour specials were fun out on the patio. We thought the bartender was excellent.

The hotel is centrally located in the heart of Tucson. There is plenty of parking not far from the rooms. We could have stayed in the foothills for more money but we were very satisfied with our overall experience.

Room Tip: We appreciated a north-facing room in the hot desert climate. The second floor rooms have nice view...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 29, 2013

My wedding just took place at the Lodge on the Desert. It is very intimate yet we hosted about 150 people for the reception afterwards. Great place for an outdoor wedding yet they can move the event inside if weather was to become inclement. All my guests raved about the fabulous food and the wonderful service. The catering manager, LeeAnn Perry, assisted in making sure that all went smoothly. My guests enjoyed their rooms immensely. Though the bridal room was lovely, it needs updating. Again thank you for making this a very special day for us.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 27, 2013

My son and I spent 3 nights here while visiting family in town. I was a little disappointed given the rave reviews on this site. The room and bathroom was spacious and the bed quite comfortable. After an initial hiccup and needing to get our carpet vacuumed again, the room seemed clean. However, I was surprised that the room was one of the newly renovated rooms. Perhaps it is the fact that brown carpet, brown walls, and dim lighting just make a room seem old and dated. Some more color in the room and better lighting might help. The other thing that contributes to the dim feeling is that the curtain must either be open (in which case you look directly into someone else's room) or closed (blocking out the light.) Some privacy sheers would be a huge improvement. We ate at the restaurant and thought the food was good. Service was attentive and friendly. Staff at the front desk, especially Tabitha, were very friendly and helpful.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank MSUmom92
Frank R, General Manager at Lodge on the Desert, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2013

Thank you for providing us with your comments. Observations such as yours helps us recognize areas which we may have overlooked and I apologize that your experience was not at the level typical of our hotel. I have looked into your comments and our housekeeping department has taken them into account within the department. Again, thank you and I hope to have the opportunity to host you on your next trip to Tucson.

Reviewed April 27, 2013

My room had bugs need I say more. The staff were weirdly inept, bartender did not know how to make a simple manhatten. The manager was very forward and kept looking at my chest, unbelievable. Hotel fail, restaurant fail. The positive the garden areas are nice.

• Stayed: March 2013
2  Thank 58Matk
Frank R, General Manager at Lodge on the Desert, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2013

Please accept my apologies for your experience. I am obviously concerned about your comments and regret that you felt that one of my manager's acted in a manner totally inconsistent with our reputation and that our property did not meet with your acceptance. As you have read, we maintain a hotel with the highest level of quality to meet our guests expectations and have never been faced with comments such as yours. I trust that your feelings are misplaced and that this is a misunderstanding. I would hope you can provide us another opportunity to show you the experience which is consistent with our ratings. Thank you.

Reviewed April 26, 2013

This hotel was easy enough to find. It is a completely walled property with security cameras at the entrance for security conscious guests.

Very nice facility with winding sidewalks that connect the buildings. The beautiful grassy areas were a pleasure to see. The outdoor pool area is very pretty. The rooms all seem to have exterior doors. Clean, quiet, cozy, room fireplace, ample lighting with variable brightness bulbs.

The bed was VERY soft and comfortable, plenty of pillows. Coffee, tea bags and coffee maker in room. Hairdryer and toiletries, with robes in the closet. I think the TV was 40” widescreen. My room contained a mini fridge, which I had requested.

There was a large shower stall, no tub, in the roomy bathroom. Internet connection was easy and does require a password. The staff was very friendly and helpful, going the extra mile to open a jammed suitcase latch for me.

The down side - breakfast at the restaurant was mediocre, lukewarm food and limited menu.

Room Tip: Well, I stayed in Bldg 4 which is on the back side and it was very quiet.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed April 24, 2013

We have just spent two nights here and have to say it really is a lovely place. Rooms are lovely with all you need - bathrobes/safe etc.Real comfy beds too! We did not use the restaurant for dinner but for two breakfasts. We found the staff to be slightly lacking. A few requests we had were not met although guaranteed they could do it-swop potatoes for more tomatoes, lack of coffee refills, had to ask regularly. However they were very nice and polite.
The pool area is tiny but very pretty and no guest in house laundry.

We would recommend anyone to stay here and would use it again if in the area.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple