“Awesome place for a wedding”

Lodge on the Desert
Ranked #23 of 130 Hotels in Tucson
Tucson, Arizona
“Awesome place for a wedding”
Reviewed April 29, 2013

My wedding just took place at the Lodge on the Desert. It is very intimate yet we hosted about 150 people for the reception afterwards. Great place for an outdoor wedding yet they can move the event inside if weather was to become inclement. All my guests raved about the fabulous food and the wonderful service. The catering manager, LeeAnn Perry, assisted in making sure that all went smoothly. My guests enjoyed their rooms immensely. Though the bridal room was lovely, it needs updating. Again thank you for making this a very special day for us.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (329)
East Lansing, Michigan
Reviewed April 27, 2013 via mobile

My son and I spent 3 nights here while visiting family in town. I was a little disappointed given the rave reviews on this site. The room and bathroom was spacious and the bed quite comfortable. After an initial hiccup and needing to get our carpet vacuumed again, the room seemed clean. However, I was surprised that the room was one of the newly renovated rooms. Perhaps it is the fact that brown carpet, brown walls, and dim lighting just make a room seem old and dated. Some more color in the room and better lighting might help. The other thing that contributes to the dim feeling is that the curtain must either be open (in which case you look directly into someone else's room) or closed (blocking out the light.) Some privacy sheers would be a huge improvement. We ate at the restaurant and thought the food was good. Service was attentive and friendly. Staff at the front desk, especially Tabitha, were very friendly and helpful.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank MSUmom92
Frank R, General Manager at Lodge on the Desert, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Thank you for providing us with your comments. Observations such as yours helps us recognize areas which we may have overlooked and I apologize that your experience was not at the level typical of our hotel. I have looked into your comments and our housekeeping department has taken them into account within the department. Again, thank you and I hope to have the opportunity to host you on your next trip to Tucson.
Reviewed April 27, 2013

My room had bugs need I say more. The staff were weirdly inept, bartender did not know how to make a simple manhatten. The manager was very forward and kept looking at my chest, unbelievable. Hotel fail, restaurant fail. The positive the garden areas are nice.

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank 58Matk
Frank R, General Manager at Lodge on the Desert, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Please accept my apologies for your experience. I am obviously concerned about your comments and regret that you felt that one of my manager's acted in a manner totally inconsistent with our reputation and that our property did not meet with your acceptance. As you have read, we maintain a hotel with the highest level of quality to meet our guests expectations and have never been faced with comments such as yours. I trust that your feelings are misplaced and that this is a misunderstanding. I would hope you can provide us another opportunity to show you the experience which is consistent with our ratings. Thank you.
on th road
Reviewed April 26, 2013

This hotel was easy enough to find. It is a completely walled property with security cameras at the entrance for security conscious guests.

Very nice facility with winding sidewalks that connect the buildings. The beautiful grassy areas were a pleasure to see. The outdoor pool area is very pretty. The rooms all seem to have exterior doors. Clean, quiet, cozy, room fireplace, ample lighting with variable brightness bulbs.

The bed was VERY soft and comfortable, plenty of pillows. Coffee, tea bags and coffee maker in room. Hairdryer and toiletries, with robes in the closet. I think the TV was 40” widescreen. My room contained a mini fridge, which I had requested.

There was a large shower stall, no tub, in the roomy bathroom. Internet connection was easy and does require a password. The staff was very friendly and helpful, going the extra mile to open a jammed suitcase latch for me.

The down side - breakfast at the restaurant was mediocre, lukewarm food and limited menu.

Room Tip: Well, I stayed in Bldg 4 which is on the back side and it was very quiet.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
East Bergholt, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 24, 2013 via mobile

We have just spent two nights here and have to say it really is a lovely place. Rooms are lovely with all you need - bathrobes/safe etc.Real comfy beds too! We did not use the restaurant for dinner but for two breakfasts. We found the staff to be slightly lacking. A few requests we had were not met although guaranteed they could do it-swop potatoes for more tomatoes, lack of coffee refills, had to ask regularly. However they were very nice and polite.
The pool area is tiny but very pretty and no guest in house laundry.

We would recommend anyone to stay here and would use it again if in the area.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed April 18, 2013

Though we own a condo in Tucson, it is not ready for human habitation, so we decided to try the Lodge on the Desert on what happened to be Valentine's Day....well, it was booked but after about two minutes, the night staff person saw we were tired and disheartened and said, "Well, we have a tiny, old room but it might work for you." One of the night staff maintenance workers (who was Nepalese and that is another nice story!) took us to see it and it was dandy. I am sure it would not have been to the liking of every person who reads this review, but if you have ever stayed at one of the old rooms at the AZ Inn, you would understand. It was clean, and the bed linens were divine. That's all I need to say. I was born and raised in Tucson, I have stayed in Tambanum Lodge in Timbunke and at the Four Seasons in Lisbon. The Lodge on the Desert and especially the old rooms are just perfect. The food is excellent and made to your delight.

Book ahead if you can, but perhaps, if one day you are in a bind, I hope you receive the same service as did we, for it speaks volumes of the extra step taken when really, it did not need to happen this way.

Room Tip: Take an old room if you can.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed April 15, 2013

Quaint adobe lodge surrounded by succulents, cactus, mesquite trees and large palms. Very quiet! Pool and jacuzzi with pleasant seating: both during the day and in the evening. Staff were very helpful. Food at the restaurant was very good with nice outdoor dining. I would stay here again. I recommend staying here to my family and friends.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple