“Unexpected luxury”

Ranked #23 of 130 Hotels in Tucson
Port Jefferson, New York
“Unexpected luxury”
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Beautifully decorated, large, comfortable rooms. Was greatly impressed by the resort, a real treat for the money. Loved that the pool and hot tub were open 24 hrs. Was one of the highlights of my stay in Tucson. Didn't eat at the restaurant because it looked expensive but menu looked interesting.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (332)
New York City, New York
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Pulling up to the hotel it looks great and everything was clean. Here are my issues. Shower head was terrible. Windows did not open. No gym or fitness room at hotel. Room was aging. Now all would not be so bad if it wasn't so expensive and people on Tripadvisor weren't talking it up so much.
If you want a clean hotel in Tucson and want to stay in valley and aren't looking for too much hotel would work, but not for me.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Frank R, General Manager at Lodge on the Desert, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Thank you for your comments. I can only apologize for the inferior shower head. No excuses, simply an oversight on our housekeeping staff on a part which required replacement. Our windows on our historic portion of the hotel indeed do not open. Being first floor we decided to secure them until such time as a complete replacement is possible but it was a secuity issue for our guests. With the quality of the heating and a/c it has not been a recuring issue. We are in the process of building a fitness center and have an agreement with the University of Arizona for our guests to utilize their facility until it is completed. Thank you again.
Allentown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights in April of 2012. I reserved a 2 bedroom suite for roughly $160/night before tax. The value was great due to the reservation system letting me book this stay without housekeeping but not meeting the stay duration, their problem not mine, subsequently no issue with bill.

So again great value as the lobby was nice and the property exterior is nicely landscaped. I open the door to the room and here is where this great place becomes so-so. The suite was poorly layed out to say the least.

There are newer buildings and duplex looking places on the property but I was staying in one of the older parts and was not impressed with the layout of my suite. The heated pool and hot tub were very nice after a long flight to Tucson from Philly. Front desk staff were very pleasant. The internet had like zero bandwidth so good luck watching youtube.

I don't understand the rave reviews of the restaurant on the property I tried it for breakfast one morning and was less than impressed with the slow service and burnt french toast. However I found on accident a "divey" looking but decent place called Tooley's cafe on S. Park Ave they don't open until 9am though.

Bottom line: I would stay here again, in a newer room, with a good price, and not eat at the restaurant.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the most recently renovated rooms.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Your comments are appreciated. Your booking one of our discounted offers which offers limited housekeeping in the interest of minimizing waste but your receiving normal housekeeping service was simply our providing additional services at no additional cost to you. The layout of your suite can be described as reflective of historic room layouts which are not typical of todays hotel construction. Our guests have described them as suites with "character" which is one of their attributes. The internet has been a challenge in buildings of such construction and is only an issue in our historic section. This will be resolved in the next 60 days and is not an issue in the majority of our hotel. I will offer my apology for your meal but I can assure you that the reputation we have is well deserved. Our Chef is the two years running Iron Chef of Tucson which is well earned. A meal can be not up to our standards but this is not the norm.
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed February 28, 2013

I first found this Tucson Classic when searching for a centrally located hotel to be used for incoming family and friends at our wedding. The rates were very reasonable, the staff helpful and friendly, and the atmosphere is amazing. Driving through midtown, it would be easy to miss, but located between two very desirable classic neighborhoods, Lodge on the Desert truly is a gem. Wonderful art (paintings and sculpture) from well-known Arizona artist Ed Mell throughout the property.

Even though we live in Tucson, my wife and I stayed here for a couple nights to spend time with family. I thought it great that we could choose from either a "classic" or a recently renovated and modern room. Great pool, and FANTASTIC restaurant, led by an award-winning local chef. Since we got married, my wife and I actually moved to within a block of Lodge on the Desert and we make frequent visits to the restaurant. When we have visitors in town, we always take them here to eat... it's that good and not just some typical "hotel restaurant." Make reservations on the weekends! I've also attended a couple meetings here (as well as our wedding rehearsal dinner), and they have a great meeting space.

Bottom line: Lodge on the Desert is my favorite recommendation to anyone looking for an amazing, centrally located hotel with Tucson classic charm.

Room Tip: Ask if you can choose between a classic room or new, modern room.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Utah
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We were invited to a wedding reception in Tucson and after looking at the Tucson hotels on Trip Advisor, the Lodge on the Desert met our needs. The hotel has recently undergone a $15Million renovation and it shows, Everything was orderly and neat and things worked! It is conveniently located off Speedway, a direct link to I-10 on Alvernon Way, a main street in Tucson. There are high walls around the property and the street noise in not a problem. We stayed in room 104, a mobility handicapped room, with a wheel-in shower.It was right at the front of the hotel. There was plenty of space in the room for a wheel-chair. The room was tastefully decorated in a southwestern theme with a small refrigerator, coffee machine with Starbucks coffee and a chest with ice right outside the door. There is a beautiful outdoor pool which must be delightful in warm weather. We did not eat at the restaurant. The staff was friendly and efficient. Lots of free parking and the free wi-fi worked with no glitches. We liked this hotel a lot and will definitely be back.

Room Tip: Room 104 is equipped for wheelchairs and the handicapped parking is just a few feet from the room.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
USA
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Great access to major east-west and north-south streets, we have found after 5 visits Tucson is a very easy town to get around. We liked most things about this hotel, found it very quiet, never heard any road noise from our room. Very clean, spacious room with gas fireplace, patio access through glass sliding door. We ate 2 breakfasts at the on site restaurant, both quite good with imaginative choices ( I had pumpkin pancakes). Only downside is advertised room wi-fi never worked for the 4 days we were there. Calls to the desk were met with indifference. I had to go down to the lobby to use the computer to print boarding passes, when checking out they couldn't print my bill because their own printer didn't work. They promised to email the bill, but never did. The hotel does not seem to be geared at all to anyone needing to conduct any business activities while there, if you are in Tucson strictly to enjoy yourself this is a great choice.

Room Tip: Rooms in the newer section are away from the road and are very quiet.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
san francisco
Reviewed February 24, 2013

I spend a week there while I attend the Tucson Gem and Mineral show which can be a trying, stressful time.

Once again the Lodge on the Desert did not disappoint. I had a fireplace, everything worked, except the wireless, which did work but was not reliable, personnel wonderful, the restaurant is good, and at the end I forgot something while I was at the airport, and they went to the room to retrieve the package and had it at the front desk when I returned.

Just a great place!!

Room Tip: Fireplace if you like it. The upstairs rooms have a small balcony. I like staying in the 127 room...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business