“Would definitely stay again” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Lodge on the Desert
Ranked #23 of 128 Hotels in Tucson
Cleveland, Ohio
“Would definitely stay again”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2011

I stayed for 3 nights while dropping my freshman daughter off at Univ. of AZ. I was very pleased with the whole experience and would definitely stay again and recommend to others. On previous trips we had stayed at a chain hotel and this time I wanted more ambiance and to feel like a mini vacation--a tall order for a busy 3 day stay, but the Lodge was just perfect for my goal. I especially liked that It was easy to get to in relation to the airport & the university (4 miles), yet once inside the walls, it felt like i was somewhere special. I liked the combination of the adobe walls/native landscaping outside, but inside it was modern, clean, quiet and cool. I thought our room was attractive, very quiet and the beds comfortable. We ate breakfast twice and the food was great and I thought well-priced. At breakfast one morning, we mentioned that we had to get going for a busy day and the waitress brought us ice water in cups to go--that was so thoughtful and unexpected. The front desk staff was also very helpful as I stopped a couple of times for to get directions. They were young and upbeat--chatted with my daughter about school. Overall, I really enjoyed it and hope to try the restaurant for dinner the next time. (The ONLY thing that I did not care for was the configuration of the shower was such that you got wet as you turned the shower on, but that's an extremely minor point !)

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (321)
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2011

We are staying at the Lodge to get my son settled back at the Uni Of Arizona. I chose it based on tripadvisor reviews and because I wanted something more original than a chain. As an experienced traveler with high standards I can attest that this place delivers value for the money, and best of all, it is not cookie cutter/generic at all. It is boutique style and gives you a taste of the desert (charming landscape gardening!) and the restaurant (as everyone says) is totally great. Well, the food is great, the decor of the restaurant could use some sprucing for sure but overall the place is well kep. We chose the larger 2 queen size bed room which is sizable and comfortable for 3 of us (myself and 2 teens). I will stay here again and recommend it to friends.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Scottsdale, Arizona
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2011

We tried thisd hotel for the second time since the first time no one slept since the upstairs people were noisy late at night and up at it early before 7 am. The beds are nice but the acoustics in the newer part are simply - awful.
You Hear Everything!!!!!

The second time we stayed in the older lodge and hoped this would be quiet since we had a very busy next day, About midnight people were walking by our room so very close to the sidewalk and they were talking and then proceeded into their room to continue talking. Then at 5 am the neighbors north of the lodge began moving rocks into a metal bin. We did not get any rest and that was my last time there.

I recommend the place if you are deaf.

Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank jjenviron
Frank R, General Manager at Lodge on the Desert, responded to this review, January 7, 2012
My apolgies for the less than acceptable occurances during your stay. My staff and I take situations like what you described seriously and we make every attempt to address compliants about other guests. I wish I could assure you that we could guarantee that all our guests would behave in a respectual manner but I cannot. We can only respond when we are aware of this problem and I can assure you that we do when possible. I appreciate your returning to our hotel a second time and hope you can give us another opportunity to regain your confidence.
Glendale, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2011

This was a quick trip with teenagers, the hotel was very nice, very clean and the staff was very accomdating. The room was much smaller them I expected but the beds were amazingly comfortable. In room coofee maker was very nice, i am extremely picky when it comes to coffee and this is the 1st time I have actually enjoyed the coffeee provided in my room,I always bring my own coffee and maker just in case. Huge shower in the bathroom not fond of the see through doors and no lock on the bathroom door. Went to hapy hour and the food was delicious however I couldnt say the same for the room service later on that evening most of the food was okay but the burgers were completely raw in the middle they were completely inedible, I did mention it to the front desk and she really seemed to acre less. Overall I would stay here again and when I want room service never order the burgers.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Ripon, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2011

Stayed for three nights as a base to tour the surrounding area and wished we had booked for longer! The room was beautiful and comfortable - very clean, furnished in local style and huge! Bathroom was elegantly simple with a large walk in glass shower and twin basins. One small point would be the need for two soft chairs in the room, not just one! Also the patio door didn't open properly but as the patio had no seat and the view was over the car park, that wasn't a real problem. Shame being on the ground floor meant curtains needed to be closed most of the time. The reception area, guest lounge and pool area were lovely and I wish we could have had made more use of them. The restaurant was superb! Do book as it is very popular ( the chef had just won a major local competition when we were there). The food was excellent, inventive and creative menu, beautifully cooked and served in a very professional manner. ( Please can I have the spinach/honey salad recipe!!) The sommelier was knowledgable and offered friendly advice about the good wine list. Not inexpensive but well worth the cost. Generally, the staff were very friendly and helpful. Would recommend this to anyone and would certainly return.

Room Tip: Think we may have had one of the renovated rooms/ no idea about others so worth asking for new one...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2011

I started booking here for my business trips earlier this year. I was looking for something different from the usual standard runof the mill hotel that was still reasonably priced. I was so delighted with the atmosphere, service and dining that I started using the Lodge for pleasure trips as well. I have brought colleagues here on business trips, and family visiting from the East Coast. The response is always extremely positive. In early August, 2011 my husband participated in a tennis tournament across the street from the Lodge. I gave him his choice of where to stay anywhere in Tucson and he said that he felt the most comfortable at Lodge on the Desert. The only reason I previously booked in other hotels for my business trips was because I could earn points. Now that you have started the Stash points - you've pretty much eliminated any reason for me to book elsewhere when I am in Tucson. We love the food and think that Ryan Clark is extremely talented. We are always happy staying there and will continue to do so when in Tucson.

Room Tip: I always book the two Queens because I know I will get the renovated section - which I prefer.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Huntington Beach, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2011

We stayed here on our way to visit Tombstone. As we looked over our options, we noticed a lot of the hotels were the basic cookie cutter layout and looked a bit run down. This place stood out, and we were not disappointed. It has a lot of charm and every person that we interacted with was extremely polite and helpful. The only negative was that the wireless internet was a bit sketchy. They gave us a cable from the front desk and that solved it. I would definitely stay here again.

Stayed July 2011, traveled with family