Hilton Tucson El Conquistador Golf & Tennis Resort
Ranked #19 of 128 Hotels in Tucson
Parker, Colorado
“Pretty nice”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2007

This hotel was pretty nice. It was not luxuriously fancy, but the crowd that seemed to visit here did not seem that type anyway. This included us. We were her for spring break to relax. The pool area was pretty nice, although it did get crowded during the middle of the day. The hotel staff was a mixed bag. The concierges were always helpful. Always. The front desk, however, was not quite as helpful. The van drivers to/from the golf course were always on time and quite friendly. The golf courses here are the main attractions anyway. The golf courses are nice, well-kept, and challenging. That is how we spent most of our time- sleeping and golfing. And for that, this hotel served its purpose very well.

• Liked — Golf!
  • Disliked — Front desk staff
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank macwetherbee

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (387)
  • Arabic first
chicago
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2007

The title pretty much sums up my family's experience at the El Conquistador. If this were a Holiday Inn, I would say it was OK, but as a Hilton the bar is set pretty high. In my opinion it fails to reach that bar in many areas. First of all, we (my wife, and 10 mos old baby) checked in and our room was not ready. They have a very late check in of 4 pm and even with a tired, crabby baby the room was not ready upon arrival. When we did get to check in the room was dirty. We chose to stay in a "casita" which is this hotel's version of a villa. The casita's are set away from the rest of the hotel so in some cases it is a haul to the main lobby. The casitas are old - ours had paint chipping off the walls- and in desperate need of a face lift. Also, we let our baby crawl around when we checked in and he crawled by the entry way tile. We picked him up and he was covered in black filth. No joke. We ended up going to a Wal-Mart nearby and buying cleaning wipes and cleaened those areas in the room that needed cleaning. I can live with the rooms as they were- but what was difficult was that the walls are paper thin, You literally can hear conversations, tv's and the door slamming was insane. Our baby cried at night due to not feeling well and, well, being a baby. After 15-30 seconds of this on our second night, our neighbors decided the best course of action was to bang on our walls. Again, no joke. The restaurants in the hotel are pricey, food is average and selection is nothing special. We ate in the "Last Territory" Steakhouse- another haul down mountains and roads. It was expensive and the food was just OK. It's a bit of a cheesy old western theme- but kids appeared to like it. We also looked at the other rest. there- but pricing and selection and word of mouth from others quickly changed our minds. The upside was got to try some great Tucson restaurants outside the resort. Take a short drive to Metropolitan Grill on Oracle- amazing food, great service- blows the hotel rest. out of the water. Also, make sure you have a rental car- for food you will want to get out! Parking is tight so be prepared to park at the bottom of the hill and walk up. Take a trip to downtown Tucson to the "Old Town Artisans". This is a collection of local artists with a touch of old Arizona. There is a great courtyard sandwich joint in the middle of the shops. OK, so what are the positives? Well, the setting of the hotel is very nice. Set in the foothills of the mountains - it is very picturesque. The Pools are also nice. The adult pool is crowded with kids, basketball hoop and all, but that is not a negative. We chose the "Baby" pool and our little baby loved it. It's about 1 1/2 feet deep with little waterfalls and spouts. Also, the Casitas have their own pool, which is smaller and more private. The only day we were going to have lunch pool-side was the day the grill AND oven did not work. Burgers, snacks, etc.,Looked fine. Few other things to note- the spa is wonderful. The staff is nice, the massages my wife and I were worth the high cost. The Hilton actually charges $10 to use the workout center! As if $300 a night wasn't enough? So, in conclusion, this hotel and it's facility are adequate. In our opinion, not worth the cost and certainly not worthy of being called a Hilton. If you are a Hilton regular, you will know exactly what I am talking about. I have noticed most reviews of the hotel are much more positive so perhaps our experience was an exception to the rule?

• Liked — Pools
  • Disliked — Rooms, restaurants
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
5 Thank icev0308
Ghee A, General Manager at Hilton Tucson El Conquistador Golf & Tennis Resort, responded to this review, October 21, 2016
I apologize for your initial experience at our resort. I hope that we can welcome your family back to enjoy our renovated property.

Berkeley Heights, NJ
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2007

My husband and two children recently stayed at this hotel for two nights. Upon chewck-in our room was not ready so we had to change in the spa and go out by the pool. Although I did not use the spa services I was not overly impressed with the spa. I thought it has a musty smell. I thought the rooms were great (we had a suite with tow queen beds and a pull-out sofa). The room was well located, large, clean and comfortable. The hotel was in a good location and had beautiful views. The pool area was nice, however, the facilities were not adequate for the number of people. It was difficult to get chairs by the pool and towels ran out. The pools were also very crowded, and the staff did not clean up well. The staff was also not very helpful. When asked about directions to a local restaurant (one that the hotel recommended in their literature) no one seemed to know how to get there. Breakfast was good but expensive. $80 for a family of four. The second day we went to the Westword Look for breakfast and it was wonderful and cheaper. Our stay was overall pretty good, however, depending on what accomodations I could find I would probably try somewhere else the next time. I will say the room accomodations were very nice for the money. it was nice not to be in a small hotel room.

• Liked — Rooms
  • Disliked — Service
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
4 Thank dan_socc_mom
Thank you for your review. I hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back again.
Glendale, AZ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2007

We stayed here in mid-March of 2007. We booked through Priceline and contacted the hotel directly to request two beds.

Upon checkin, we were told that parking was to the left of the entrance. Parking to the left of the entrance contains maybe 50 spaces at most, plus valet parking, which is not nearly enough for this huge hotel!

There is abundant parking to the right of the hotel entrance. Just turn right when you see the sign for the hotel restaurant, The Last Territory. The lot wraps around to the back of the hotel, and depending on which building you are in, you may be able to park right outside your building. We parked on the side by The Last Territory side and took our luggage around the front entrance to building 4, where we had our room.

Our room was sort of difficult to find, as there were multiple gates through which to enter.

Upon locating our room, we found that we had a lovely room that faced the desert walking path and valley below. It was very, very scenic and we ate dinner on our porch one night. We could see little rabbits wandering around and it was very relaxing. My mother enjoyed walking around on the paths and enjoying the wildlife and plants.

The beds were extremely comfortable with feather pillows. The bathroom contained Crabtree and Evelyn "La Source" soaps and shampoos, which was a nice touch! My main (and this is pretty darned big) complaint was that we only got one roll of toilet paper for the entire stay. We were down to using the box of tissues in our room and the box of tissues my mom brought with her. That's pretty sad! There was also something sticky behind the cold water handle on the bathroom sink, and when I looked to see what it was, it was an old glob of blue toothpaste (This was when we first checked in, too.).

There is an in-room fridge, which I used, but I put some sliced fruit in the upper part of the fridge without thinking about it, and the upper compartment is locked but not refrigerated, so the fruit was inedible when we went to get it as it had been sitting at room temperature for a couple of days.

We ate at Dos Locos for dinner the other night we stayed at the hotel, and the environment was very relaxing. I had chicken mole verde and fingerling potatoes, which I liked very much. My mother had salmon and risotto, which looked very good but I didn't try. There was also fresh salsa and chips provided. I think that Dos Locos is the only restaurant that we could find at the hotel that serves dinner, but we may have been mistaken.

In the mornings we had hot cocoa and croissants at the cafe in the lobby. It was very good and they use Starbucks coffee, although it's not an actual Starbucks.

I'm not sure what the whole "no outside food/must wear wristband" sign means, because we were not given a wristband. We were also pretty scared to carry outside food around with us but nothing happened to us.

Overall, it was a very nice hotel. There appeared to be some very nice shops inside (although they were closed when we walked around in the evenings). The food was good, too.

The price we got with Priceline was actually $50 less than staying at the Holiday Inn Express during this time of year, so I think that despite any small problems, I had a really good time.

• Liked — Comfortable beds -- comparable to staying at home
  • Disliked — Toilet paper and other necessities not refilled on a daily basis.
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
4 Thank greatpersonality
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2007

Once upon a time this was probably the top resort in the Tucson area. It still has the original magnificent setting up against the Mount Lemmon and the Catalina mountains. But it is beginning to show its age

It is built into a hillside with the hotel really being in two parts. One part, restaurants, reception ,meeting rooms, shops , car park and a large free form swimming pool are on the small plateau at the top of the hill. The pool is surrounded on three sides by wings housing normal hotel rooms.. The other part are the 50 or so casitas which are built into the hillside on the way up to the hotel proper. If you are housed in the hotel rooms round the pool at the top of the hill, you probably have great views. If you are in the casitas ranged up the hillside; you probably won’t.

We had a casita with no view at all except of other guests huffing and puffing up the slope . It certainly must be good for heart and blood circulation to have to walk up the hill to breakfast and/or the car park every day. But in the heat of summer it must seem like a Marines assault course. This hotel must be one of the few that do not really need a health club.

Our casita was big enough. Two queens, a table and an easy chair with a small balcony and small old fashioned bathroom. The room was beginning to show its age with chips off the door and marks on the furniture and air conditioning which reminded me that years ago we used to live under the flight path at Heathrow. But in general it was pleasant and peaceful .

And we did have a sheltered little swimming pool at the bottom of the hill just for casita guests.

The hotel might be a bit out of town- but who cares with that view to soak up.

• Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank roger39
Thank you for your review. We look forward to welcoming you back to enjoy our newly renovated resort.

Phoenix Arizona
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2007

The staff at the hotel was great, no problems there except for the restaraunts. Food was overpriced, stay away from the steak house, overpriced and a very tacky environment. The lounge entertainment was terrible. The food was not any better. Walked away with a $92 dollar bill for one adult and two children and we skipped desert and drinks!

Breakfast buffet selection was very poor considering the 19.95 price. Staff could not even get the drinks to the table and never did any follow up.

Overall the rooms do not reflect the price and are definately not on par for a three star resort. Bathrooms refelct neglected hotel room. Tubs drained slow, veneer peeling off and bathroom doors falling apart.

Definite room for improvement!

Stayed March 2007
4 Thank Ark1959
I hope that we have the opportunity to welcome your family back to enjoy our newly renovated resort. I am sure you will appreciate the changes, and our beautiful views.

Austin, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2007

Used points for a special birthday evening for my teenage daughter.
Facility is very nice looking and well maintained. Check-in was fast and very courteous. However, when I asked if I had a room with a great view, I was told "oh yes, on our 4th floor with a great view of the foothills" - Wrong!

The room was very big, clean and well appointed. However, the room was parking lot level. Yes, there was a big foothill in our site, but it was not as I imagined it would be "on the 4th floor" . We looked out at bushes that did not do a good job of hiding the cars behind them. NOTE: the interior views facing to pool are much nicer.

After hanging out for awhile, my daughter decided she would rather enjoy room service and watch a movie rather than go out. So, she ordered a turkey sandwich with chips and I ordered NY Strip, medium rare, with steak fries and asparagus. We also ordered a shrimp cocktail that the menu was very careful to detail came with "5" very large shrimp. I also repeated twice that we needed it delivered on a table.

Well, when room service arrived, the fun began. First., he did not have a table for us. He was going to deliver the table he brought our food on to another room. After I convinced him to leave the table, he refused to take the "hot box" from underneath it. I removed it and left it outside our door. He quickly handed me the check and headed straight for the door without waiting to confirm our order was correct. Within seconds, I realized it was a mess.

The turkey sandwich came with no condiments. No mayo or anything. The chips were a bag of Lays that looked liked he'd just gotten them out of the vending machine. My order was worse. The steak came out medium well. There were asparagus - two stalks in fact, one green - one white- and I could not cut the white one. They had also failed to give me a steak knife. The 'steak fries" were nothing more than a single potato, cut into 4 sections and fried. There was no ketchup for the fires, no salt and pepper, nothing and only one set of silverware. The best part of all was the shrimp cocktail. First, there were only 4 pieces, (that were not that big) and the whole things came in a finger dip bowl. No ice, so greens, nothing! It looked like no shrimp cocktail I have ever seen. It was inedible.

So, when I called down to room service to have the missing items delivered, it took 15 minutes and there was no apology. When I called down later to complain, I was assured the room service manager would call me first thing the next morning and take care of it. The next morning, no call!

The tab for this "resort" dining experience - $87.95!

When I checked out later the next morning, I shared my experience with the front desk clerk and asked if I could speak with a manager, She said she would be more than happy to delete the entire amount from my bill (with her sincere apologies) and said that if I needed anything more, she would call the manager. I was SO impressed by her response that I said , "nope, you have saved a customer" .

So, even though the rating was not great, I would stay at the hotel again and stipulate that I wanted an pool view. I would also plan on eating out.

• Stayed March 2007
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank sbalch
Thank you for your review. I hope that we have had the opportunity to welcome you back to enjoy our updated resort.