Hilton Tucson El Conquistador Golf & Tennis Resort
Ranked #19 of 130 Hotels in Tucson
Gilbert, AZ
“Impressive”
Reviewed July 9, 2010

This is a very, very nice hotel. Tucson hotels always offer summer deals and we found this one to take advantage of. The hotel is a large property, surrounded by a golf course. It has to be one of the largest hotels in Tucson. On check-in we were assigned to one of their casitas (a big Thank You to Hilton!) It had a a large living room/dining room, a separate bedroom, and 2 HD TV's. It even had a gas fireplace. The bed was very comfortable, the shower was great, and everything was very clean. Really no complaints about this hotel, or at least what we experienced with it. The only 'issue' with it relates to its large size and hilly environment. The casitas are on a hillside, and it is a steep climb back up, if you walk to the bottom, which we did. But overall, what a nice hotel!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (396)
  • Arabic first
New Mexico
Reviewed June 21, 2010

This is the second time we have stayed here and prefer the Jr. Suite room. It has more area in the bathroom and tv area. The pools are great, for a relaxing time while in the desert. Towels and beds are excellent. The place is clean. Staff is great. Pool area bar is nice for drinks and snacks. Rooms are quiet and a great value. This is a very nice Hilton resort property with golf and tennis. We will be back to this one.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Spirit_of_Radio
Scottsdale, AZ
Reviewed June 21, 2010

I am a frequent business traveler (and also a HHonors Diamond Member), who has learned to tolerate just about anything. I can also sleep anywhere and through anything, except here! My room was physically shaking (drapes and light shades) because of the person walking above me.
Overall, this resort is nice - located outside of Tucson in Oro Valley, it is very pretty during sunset. As most Hilton properties, the staff was very welcoming. It is an older property, well maintained (carpets could use some updating). Very safe place. Very nice workout facilities (for an additional charge of $10). Not sure my bathroom was totally clean (there was soap-like stuff all over the counter). Not a bad place. In Tucson I would recomment La Paloma area (Embassy or Westin) for your money, location.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank gretchchi
Ghee A, General Manager at Hilton Tucson El Conquistador Golf & Tennis Resort, responded to this review, October 21, 2016
I hope that we can welcome you back to experience our newly renovated resort. Thank you for being a loyal HHonors Diamond member.

Ghee Alexander
Arizona
Reviewed June 19, 2010

I stayed at the Hilton Tucson El Conquistador resort for one night and thought it was fantastic. I had been to this resort a longtime ago in the late 70's and forgotten how fantastic it is. Because it is an older resort the property is huge which I think is a plus. My room and bathroom was amazingly large which is unusual for resorts in this day. There were lots of activities going on outside, dive in movies, pool side dining. This is how nice the staff is....You have to walk far to get to almost everything in this resort. When I first arrived I parked and was walking down a road to get to my building. A staff member was driving by in a golf cart and asked me where I was going and turned around and gave my a ride to my building. I loved this!!! She could have easily waved and kept going but she didn't and this to me reflects the great customer service they have there.

I sat in the bar area and enjoyed a Starbucks coffee and lunch while enjoying the views from the wall to ceiling windows. I also ate in Sundance Cafe for breakfast which had a lot of selection a la carte and a fantastic looking buffet that was reasonably priced.

I would highly recommend this hotel for couples and for families.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Carli_Saimin
Dayton, Ohio
Reviewed June 9, 2010

Why would anyone pay more money, with no perks? No free breakfast. No free internet. No free evening reception. No free turn down. The room and bathroom is very nice. The pool is very nice. There is a golf course and tennis courts but I never tried them. It is in a very pretty and relaxing location. But if I wasn't getting the govt rate I would not stay here again.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank MisterJustice
Philadelphia
Reviewed May 23, 2010

This hotel is only OK. I'm especially underwhelmed by the guest service - they gave me a very big hassle about changing my reservation, and they told me that they were "not allowed" to open the many umbrellas in the pool area. The pool and food don't even come close to the Loews, and the spa doesn't compare, either. The room (a king casita) was very nice, but housekeeping put all of the breakfast trays, towels, and sheets out on the sidewalks in front of the rooms, presumably while cleaning, but they left them there all day, really distracting from the nice landscaping.

In short, this place isn't anything very special. The Loews, on the other hand, is amazing, and it's actually cheaper.

Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Mesa, Arizona
Reviewed May 10, 2010

We arrived at approximately 3pm on Friday 8 May, and were immediately checked in with no waiting. We prepaid and so the check-in process was only 1-2 minutes. We were given directions to the Casita (No. 1607) and were offered assistance by the receptionist and the valet on the way out.

BEDROOM/BATH: The large Casita is like small efficiency apartment. It has a decent size 12x12 bedroom with regular closet. The bedroom opens into half of the 12x5 bathroom which has a large single sink area & makeup section with seat. The sink area then opens through a door into a separate room with a toilet & tub/shower combo. All very clean.

BED: The bed was appropriately firm and the bedding high quality, though not so much for us. We are spoiled at home with a foam mattress and a 2" pillow topper, foam/down combo pillows and Modal (beech) sheets. And so everything was a step down from home and we did not sleep as well and our backs hurt a little more when we slept in. We are both in our 40's and so bed comfort is important to our sleep.

HALLWAY/ENTRANCE: Opening the bedroom door leads to the hallway/exit area on the right which then turns 90 degrees again to exit the front door. Fortunately, the hallway has the AC unit which is a little loud and the angle has the benefit of preventing visitors from seeing anything but the hallway when answering the door.

MINI-KITCHEN: When exiting the bedroom the mini-kitchen area is on the left. It is just under 8x5 consisting of a 3 foot wide floor and 2 foot wide counter with decent size sink. It also has a 1.5ft wide elevated counter on the living room side with 2 barstools. It has a small fridge, maybe 4cf, and a very small microwave. When I cooked a large bag of popcorn, it didn't have room to rotate and was held in one spot. Interestingly, there was no eating ware or anything whatsoever except a coffee maker and coffee condiments, 2 paper coffee cups & 2 glass cups by the ice container. Nothing else whatsoever. Not even paper towels.

LIVING ROOM is a very spacious 21x22 with 2 chairs, coffee table & comfortable sofa-sleeper and large flat screen TV. On the other side of the living room is a nice dining table and 4 chairs.

These Casitas were originally time shares with wing rooms on each side that can be closed off by two-way doors. This is great if you want to rent rooms next to each other with family and friends. It is not so great for quiet when the neighbors are noisy.

The Casitas have 2 separate jacuzzi’s and a pool in a very nice area. The jacuzzi adjacent to our area had a very pretty and scenic view. We recommend relaxing there at least once just to enjoy the view. As usual, it is not very hot (and I don’t like too hot).

RESORT PANORAMA: Awesome. We recommend you attempt to get a casita which is not facing another casita if you can. It makes a huge difference if you care to look out our door much or spend some time on the patio relaxing, though it isn't bad facing another casita since it is generally an attractive setting.

SPA SERVICES: Although we would have loved to use their spa services to relax, we are value oriented and can rarely be persuaded to pay their prices. The spa prices were not listed in the info binder and so the maxim "If you have to ask, then you can't afford it" would seem to apply and so we assumed the prices were excessive as they normally are in most resorts. Regardless, we should not have to ask. We ordered massages from "On The Run" which were the cheapest mobile massages that we could find on the internet. Our 2.5 hours of massage were very relaxing and very good.

DINING: On our departing morning, we had the breakfast buffet at their Sundance Café at $17 each. It was excellent and a must-do at least once. Our server Gino was perfect.

INTERNET: The equivalent service by our ISP is $47 per month or $1.57 per day (RETAIL). The resort charges $9.95 per day or over 6.35 times the retail rate. This really tic’s us off. It is called gouging. I don’t understand how some regular run of the mill motels can give you’re the service for free but a resort gouges you for this. It was very inconvenient to getting in all our internet searching and planning in 1 day so that we would only be charged $9.95. Not because we care so much about the additional $20 per se, but we don’t like being gouged. It is just offensive!

IRRITATION 2: The front doors all closed very loudly. We tried very hard to close our doors softly and it took some effort. The neighbor to us in 1608 didn't feel the need to do the same and every time they came and went (frequently), we were very aware, particularly since their front door was adjacent to the back wall of our bedroom.

IRRITATION 3: The AC unit. That it was loud was a slight nuisance. That it did not keep us very cool on the first evening was a significant nuisance. At home we turn it down to a very cool 74 and then 73 in the very early morning. Here, I got up at about 2am to turn it down and discovered I could only turn it down 1 more degree to 65. I don't know why 73 in our home in Gilbert AZ (Phoenix) is so much cooler than 65 in this room, but we did lose sleep over it.

IRRITATION 4: Hot Water. We were very irritated to find our water on Saturday morning to be very lukewarm at about 8:30-9am. We called room service and they sent over David Blume, Assistant Director of Engineering. He was very pleasant, kind and wanted to do everything he could to resolve our problems. However, he was not a magician. Unfortunately, this main casita and the wing casitas are all on one water heater and our neighbors used it all. By the time he came over, very shortly after we called, but over an hour after we took our showers, the water was again hot. He had a special thermometer which verified what my hand verified, the water was now hot. He also made sure that the water heater was set correctly.

Mr. Blume then checked the air temperature emanating from the vent and it went to under 53 degrees very quickly as required (under 55) by their corporate policy. He made various genuine concerned suggestions and told us he would do whatever we wanted to resolve this and offered to move us to a different casita or room if we desired. We wanted to stay in a casita and moving us to a different one would not likely change anything, though we could possible have more quiet neighbors. Or worse.

Mr. Blume then offered us a $25 gift certificate that we could use for anything anywhere in the resort. We thought that was very kind and we appreciated it. Nonetheless, we would very much have preferred doors that do not slam, hot water when we wanted it and not when our neighbors allowed us to, and a cooler room.

I did adjust the various vents with a screw driver to tunnel more air into the bedroom and we slept much better on the second & third nights.

Notwithstanding the irritations, we had a very relaxing and enjoyable time.

We recommend eating lunch at the Village Bakehouse and if you love pizza, at The Loop - Taste of Chicago, both nearby.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple