“not nearly as nice as the Loews”

Hilton Tucson El Conquistador Golf & Tennis Resort
Ranked #14 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
Reviewed May 23, 2010

This hotel is only OK. I'm especially underwhelmed by the guest service - they gave me a very big hassle about changing my reservation, and they told me that they were "not allowed" to open the many umbrellas in the pool area. The pool and food don't even come close to the Loews, and the spa doesn't compare, either. The room (a king casita) was very nice, but housekeeping put all of the breakfast trays, towels, and sheets out on the sidewalks in front of the rooms, presumably while cleaning, but they left them there all day, really distracting from the nice landscaping.

In short, this place isn't anything very special. The Loews, on the other hand, is amazing, and it's actually cheaper.

Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business

Reviewed May 10, 2010

We arrived at approximately 3pm on Friday 8 May, and were immediately checked in with no waiting. We prepaid and so the check-in process was only 1-2 minutes. We were given directions to the Casita (No. 1607) and were offered assistance by the receptionist and the valet on the way out.

BEDROOM/BATH: The large Casita is like small efficiency apartment. It has a decent size 12x12 bedroom with regular closet. The bedroom opens into half of the 12x5 bathroom which has a large single sink area & makeup section with seat. The sink area then opens through a door into a separate room with a toilet & tub/shower combo. All very clean.

BED: The bed was appropriately firm and the bedding high quality, though not so much for us. We are spoiled at home with a foam mattress and a 2" pillow topper, foam/down combo pillows and Modal (beech) sheets. And so everything was a step down from home and we did not sleep as well and our backs hurt a little more when we slept in. We are both in our 40's and so bed comfort is important to our sleep.

HALLWAY/ENTRANCE: Opening the bedroom door leads to the hallway/exit area on the right which then turns 90 degrees again to exit the front door. Fortunately, the hallway has the AC unit which is a little loud and the angle has the benefit of preventing visitors from seeing anything but the hallway when answering the door.

MINI-KITCHEN: When exiting the bedroom the mini-kitchen area is on the left. It is just under 8x5 consisting of a 3 foot wide floor and 2 foot wide counter with decent size sink. It also has a 1.5ft wide elevated counter on the living room side with 2 barstools. It has a small fridge, maybe 4cf, and a very small microwave. When I cooked a large bag of popcorn, it didn't have room to rotate and was held in one spot. Interestingly, there was no eating ware or anything whatsoever except a coffee maker and coffee condiments, 2 paper coffee cups & 2 glass cups by the ice container. Nothing else whatsoever. Not even paper towels.

LIVING ROOM is a very spacious 21x22 with 2 chairs, coffee table & comfortable sofa-sleeper and large flat screen TV. On the other side of the living room is a nice dining table and 4 chairs.

These Casitas were originally time shares with wing rooms on each side that can be closed off by two-way doors. This is great if you want to rent rooms next to each other with family and friends. It is not so great for quiet when the neighbors are noisy.

The Casitas have 2 separate jacuzzi’s and a pool in a very nice area. The jacuzzi adjacent to our area had a very pretty and scenic view. We recommend relaxing there at least once just to enjoy the view. As usual, it is not very hot (and I don’t like too hot).

RESORT PANORAMA: Awesome. We recommend you attempt to get a casita which is not facing another casita if you can. It makes a huge difference if you care to look out our door much or spend some time on the patio relaxing, though it isn't bad facing another casita since it is generally an attractive setting.

SPA SERVICES: Although we would have loved to use their spa services to relax, we are value oriented and can rarely be persuaded to pay their prices. The spa prices were not listed in the info binder and so the maxim "If you have to ask, then you can't afford it" would seem to apply and so we assumed the prices were excessive as they normally are in most resorts. Regardless, we should not have to ask. We ordered massages from "On The Run" which were the cheapest mobile massages that we could find on the internet. Our 2.5 hours of massage were very relaxing and very good.

DINING: On our departing morning, we had the breakfast buffet at their Sundance Café at $17 each. It was excellent and a must-do at least once. Our server Gino was perfect.

INTERNET: The equivalent service by our ISP is $47 per month or $1.57 per day (RETAIL). The resort charges $9.95 per day or over 6.35 times the retail rate. This really tic’s us off. It is called gouging. I don’t understand how some regular run of the mill motels can give you’re the service for free but a resort gouges you for this. It was very inconvenient to getting in all our internet searching and planning in 1 day so that we would only be charged $9.95. Not because we care so much about the additional $20 per se, but we don’t like being gouged. It is just offensive!

IRRITATION 2: The front doors all closed very loudly. We tried very hard to close our doors softly and it took some effort. The neighbor to us in 1608 didn't feel the need to do the same and every time they came and went (frequently), we were very aware, particularly since their front door was adjacent to the back wall of our bedroom.

IRRITATION 3: The AC unit. That it was loud was a slight nuisance. That it did not keep us very cool on the first evening was a significant nuisance. At home we turn it down to a very cool 74 and then 73 in the very early morning. Here, I got up at about 2am to turn it down and discovered I could only turn it down 1 more degree to 65. I don't know why 73 in our home in Gilbert AZ (Phoenix) is so much cooler than 65 in this room, but we did lose sleep over it.

IRRITATION 4: Hot Water. We were very irritated to find our water on Saturday morning to be very lukewarm at about 8:30-9am. We called room service and they sent over David Blume, Assistant Director of Engineering. He was very pleasant, kind and wanted to do everything he could to resolve our problems. However, he was not a magician. Unfortunately, this main casita and the wing casitas are all on one water heater and our neighbors used it all. By the time he came over, very shortly after we called, but over an hour after we took our showers, the water was again hot. He had a special thermometer which verified what my hand verified, the water was now hot. He also made sure that the water heater was set correctly.

Mr. Blume then checked the air temperature emanating from the vent and it went to under 53 degrees very quickly as required (under 55) by their corporate policy. He made various genuine concerned suggestions and told us he would do whatever we wanted to resolve this and offered to move us to a different casita or room if we desired. We wanted to stay in a casita and moving us to a different one would not likely change anything, though we could possible have more quiet neighbors. Or worse.

Mr. Blume then offered us a $25 gift certificate that we could use for anything anywhere in the resort. We thought that was very kind and we appreciated it. Nonetheless, we would very much have preferred doors that do not slam, hot water when we wanted it and not when our neighbors allowed us to, and a cooler room.

I did adjust the various vents with a screw driver to tunnel more air into the bedroom and we slept much better on the second & third nights.

Notwithstanding the irritations, we had a very relaxing and enjoyable time.

We recommend eating lunch at the Village Bakehouse and if you love pizza, at The Loop - Taste of Chicago, both nearby.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank clevel60
Reviewed May 9, 2010

Got this room on Hotwire for 99/night and were very happy. Hotel was in a beautiful spot near the west edge of the Santa Catalina Mountains. The view of the mountains from the pool area is spectacular. I thought the water slide was a little slow but my boys, 7 and 9, could not seem to get enough of it. There was also a putting green nearby and a gold course which we did not visit. This resort is a good 10 miles north of Tucson via very busy Oracle Rd. so if you need to travel back and forth to Tucson keep that in mind. Our room was very clean and the bed was comfortable. Only issue was the [--] in the room next to us yelling at his girlfriend from about 1-2am but that is not any fault of the hotel just another inconsiderate [--]. The staff was very friendly and grounds well maintained. I would for sure consider staying here again.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed April 22, 2010

This trip was primarily business but managed to make a small vacation out of it. Having never been to Tucson, we chose the Hilton because of the Diamond status we have with Hilton. We were not disappointed with the property. We chose to upgrade to a junior suite. The room was very large and contained a king bed and sofa pull out. The bathroom was very large and had ample towels. There was a separate vanity area outside the bathroom which was very helpful and the room had a large closet. There were two adults and one child in the room and we had plenty of room without stepping all over each other.

The grounds of the hotel were very well maintained. There were three pools, one with a slide. Although the pool water was still to cold for my liking, the kids that were there all seemed to think it was great. Pool towels were plentiful and of a fairly high quality. All too often pool towels can be ragged or small. This was not the case. The pool office closed at 5:00 p.m., but we called housekeeping and they brought us towels to our room in the evening so we could use the jacuzzi in the evening.

Overall great service, very nice rooms, and great recreation facilities. The hotel is located in the Oro Valley of Tucson, which is in the north part of town. Plenty of restaurants close by for all meals. We tried High Falutin', Carrabbas, both of which were close by and provided a decent meal. I would recommend this property for business or leisure travel. A definite plus for this property, free parking that is close to the room. No parking garage to deal with and miles to walk to your room despite the fact that the property is very spread out.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed April 18, 2010

My husband had a conference at this hotel and I went along for some time away from the kids together. At first I was a little skeptical - the pictures on their website looked beautiful - but it seemed pretty basic. The upgraded room (bed, sitting area, walk-in closet, work area) was nice, but wasn't plush. It only took me about a day though to enjoy it all! I liked the amenities and LOVED the landscape and pool area -- actually there are 2 separate kids pools which was nice to keep them out of the big adult pool. Food was all excellent. Ground floor room faced the back of the property and was noisy during the day with service cars going back and forth -- when I wasn't at the pool I was trying to nap in the room!!! This is a great property - peaceful - beautiful - clean. Terrific for a romantic, relaxing, do nothing vacation!!!!!!!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed April 9, 2010

Let me preface my review by mentioning that I work in the Hotel industry and therefore may have a higher standard when I travel as to what I expect from my stay at a Hotel.

This "Resort" is "okay". Not bad, not great...very, very average.

1. Location: Good. It's outside of Tucson, which is nice, with a view of the mountains. But, it is still close to all the modern conveniences just down the road - Target, Wal-mart, Krispy Kreme, Walgreens, etc.
2. Room: The room I had was spacious, with a King Bed and couch, 42" flat-screen TV, and a small patio. Bathroom was cramped, but I'm not complaining.
3. Food Service: During the day, there are a couple of food options. I had terrible service at the Sundance restaurant for lunch my first day...the food was excellent, but after being seated, the waitress approached me and said "Do you know what you want?"...nothing else, no greeting, no request for a drink order first...nada. For dinner, it appears the only options are Room Service, or their Mexican themed restaurant. Since I dislike Mexican fare, I was limited to Room Service only...but traveling solo, I prefer to be around people when I eat...so I hopped in the car and ate elsewhere (which was unfortunate, as I realyl didn't want to have to leave the resort).
4. Activities: I did not partake in any Tennis or Golf during my stay. Outside of that, the only other option is the pool. The pool is very small, and when I got up for the day and went out so I could relax by the pool to read a book...there were absolutely no seats available. So, I found a bench (not very relaxing) off by Building #2 next to a fountain...and finally went back to my room and read on my little patio.
5. Spa: The spa was average...not exceptional in any way. I was greeted when I walked in the door on the day of my arrival to make an appointment...only to find that everything was booked for the following day. So, I had to book my service for the day of my departure, cutting it close for a noon check-out. On that day, I was again greeted on arrival, given my robe and sandals and escorted into the locker room, and told to meet my massage therapist in the waiting area (just outside the locker room) in ten minutes (I was a little early). At the appointed time, I exited to the waiting area, and was kept waiting for at least 5-10 min. The massage was excellent! That was the high point of my entire stay at the resort. Alas, the walls are thin between the treatment rooms, so I had to endure the conversation between another guest and their massage therapist for my entire session.
6. Business Centre: Flying out the day of my departure, I wanted to check-in online and print my boarding pass. Some Hotels will let you do this for free in the Business Centre...no so at this Hilton. It is a minimum $3.00 charge to use the computer in the Business Centre...even to print a boarding pass.
6. Miscellaneous: a) Check-in was smooth and easy as expected. b) The resort wasn't a "resort" in my mind...basically just a larger and more spread out hotel with the tennis and golf amenities. c) I was awakened on my final morning at 8am by housekeeping tapping on my door to find out if I was still there. With checkout at noon, you'd think they could wait at least until 9am. I will admit that I did not hang my "Shh...I'm Relaxing" sign on my doorknob. d) Internet in your guest room is not free - $9.95 per day

I will not visit this hotel again when I come back to Tucson.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled solo
MAHTucson, Manager at Hilton Tucson El Conquistador Golf & Tennis Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2010

All Trip Advisor feedback will be reviewed with the Team. I would like to assure viewwe that the greeting in the restaurant was not our norm and the Housekeeper can be more sensitive to the check out time as there are with Privacy signs.
We do have 4 food options open, throughout the day, with room service being one of them. Lobby Lounge, Pool Side, and Dos Loco’s (our Southwest/Mexican inspired Restaurant where you can get Salmon, Filets, and more contemporary foods) are the other three. Still have 3 open till 10pm.
In our lobby, we provide a kiosk for check-in and complimentary use to print boarding passes.
We do have 4 pools on site. The smaller ones do fill up. At the main pool, there are over 250 seats and we have yet to see them all full, unless it is for a special event, like Holiday, in which we have a band set up. This may have been the case for spring break weekend.

Reviewed April 8, 2010

We chose this hotel for the pool and it paid off. The pool was clean and warm, so the kids could play even on chiller days. It has a separate pool for small children and one for the water slide. The hot tub and cold pool were surrounded by rocks for a nice retreat. All three of these areas were gated with high latches - great for keeping little ones safe. There were plenty of seats and umbrellas. They have a gift shop and pool bar for refreshments. Be prepared for the pricy drinks, though. The only downside was the very loud DJ that played all day on the weekend. It took away from the relaxing atmosphere.

The landscaping around the grounds was beautiful! It was abundant with grass, shading trees and fragrant flowers. A small waterfall, surrounded by bushes, hosted many different types of birds. The main hotel was nice with three gift shops, two restaurants, a lobby bar and comfortable seating. The staff was polite and accommodating. The breakfast buffet was wonderful, but ask about special room rates that include this option. It is a better deal.

The rooms were average, but the beds were very comfortable. The view of the mountains off our balcony was very nice. If on the mountainside, ask for the upper level. Main level rooms are lower than the adjacent parking lots. The only downside of the room was the lack of drawer space. It was clean and had room to move around.

It was a great get away. If going to downtown Tucson, check out Enoteca for lunch or dinner! Great food and service. The Desert Museum is a must see. It is a ways from the hotel, but a beautiful and scenic drive.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family