“Not worth the money”

Ranked #16 of 130 Hotels in Tucson
Tampa, Florida
“Not worth the money”
Reviewed February 22, 2006

The mountain view was stunning, but that is where the positive comments end.Flat pillows, missing light bulbs that made the room seem dark and kind of dirty, loud air conditioning that woke us up all night long, every night, the beds seemed smaller than advertised, and the hot tub was out of order. Parking is at the back of the building and can be quite a distance from the hotel. There is a small hill that you must go down to get to your room, so seniors and people with disabilities may want to inquire about alternative entries. Our experience was just okay, but definetely NOT worth the money. This pricey hotel had a motel feel to it. When I contacted the Hilton, they avoided addressing my issues. Spend your money wisely someplace else.

• Stayed April 2005
3 Thank Neese
Ghee A, General Manager at Hilton Tucson El Conquistador Golf & Tennis Resort, responded to this review, October 21, 2016
Thank you for your review, I hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back to enjoy our newly updated property.

Ghee Alexander

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (402)
  • Arabic first
Oxford, OH
Reviewed January 25, 2006

Location and service are truly outstanding. The casita, however, was a bit sorry at $279/night. The kitchen area that they show prominently on their website not only has no silverware, plates, or glasses, it doesn't even have a refrigerator- unless you want to spend an extra $20/night. The suite is very spacious, but in serious need of remodeling at this price range. I'd have been very pleased at $150, but traveling a lot, this doesn't come to the quality usually associated with the price tag well over $300 when taxes added in.

I agree with the prior reviewer who mentioned the annoyance of the $4 bottles of water in the room. The hotel also wants to charge you $10 a day to use the exercise room, $10 a day to use wireless internet... need I go on? The irony is that all these things are usually "free" (included) in hotels that charge 1/3 the rate. I'd go back if the rate was outstanding or if I had to (had a conference here this trip, no other decent hotels are close). If just visiting Tucson in general, though, look beyond this place until the reviews talk about the casitas being remodeled.

PS- a friend attending the same conference got a standard room, which was less expensive and had been recently renovated. Still all the painful surcharges, but this would be a possible option unless, like me, you've got kids and need the extra room.

• Stayed January 2006, traveled on business
8 Thank msmithmd
Thank you for your feedback. I hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back to our newly updated resort.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed January 22, 2006

We loved El Conquistador. My wife and I love to hike so the location was perfect, 1 mile from the National Park where there were many trails. The resort and the pool area are beautiful. Just make sure you know the room category and size of the room you requested. We didn't have any problems, but saw some of the other rooms, and they were smaller than ours.

• Stayed January 2006
2 Thank junkrus
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 19, 2006

Stayed here once before in February of 2004. Hotel is nice and is sort of expensive as would be expected. The first time I stayed I was in a Casita at a rate of $179. I rebooked this year (2006) even though the rate had increased to $219. I made my reservation for February first, but the person I spoke with mistakenly made it for January first. They charged me as a no show at the $230 (tax included) rate for one night. When I called to rebook and have the charge removed, they refused to do so unless I would rebook the room at a rate of $319!!

In short, they refused to refund my money for THEIR reservation error, and then tried to extort me for $100 a night to get the refund that should have been anxiously offered with apologies in hopes of keeping my business. After much cajoling they "generously" offered to charge me only $279 a night...a $60 per night increase in order to receive my refund for their mistake. In the end they refused to honor the price I originally booked at or refund my money.

I had reservation problems in 2004 as well but they were suitably rectified. However, the fact that the front desk made similar errors on both occasions is ludicrous. If you're looking for a grossly overpriced hotel with poor customer service this is your place. If you expect to be treated as a valued customer for the several thousand dollars you'll spend on the lodging, I suggest looking elsewhere.

• Stayed January 2006, traveled on business
9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
, Resident Manager at Hilton Tucson El Conquistador Golf & Tennis Resort, responded to this review, February 2, 2006
Being in the hospitality field, we always try to accommodate our guests and their requests – that is our business. Unfortunately, it appears that a communication lapse occurred in this particular instance. Would encourage any traveler that has a similar issue to contact the property direct in an effort to help resolve it; given the chance, many misunderstandings can be corrected at the property level.
Lancaster, PA
Reviewed January 3, 2006

We just returned from a 6-night stay at the El Conquistador. This resort is tucked into the Catalina Mountains with a spectacular view. I am normally a fan of Marriott Resorts and have not stayed at a Hilton for a while, but I must say that this was a well run, meticulously maintained resort. The staff was professional and courteous. The front desk staff went out of their way to put us into a nice, quiet room with a view of the mountains. We had a holiday dinner that was very good.

The only downside that I could mention was the breakfast that we had. The prices were very high and the buffet breakfast was not as good as at Marriott, which typically includes an omellet station, fresh Belgian waffles. The breakfast food was mediocre.

We were touring and we ate many of our meals at the many fine restaurants in the suburbs and in downtown Tucson. Don't miss El Charro restaurant, home of the Chimichanga!

4 Thank PG_Lancaster
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed December 18, 2005

Stayed here this weekend as a little in town getaway for my boyfriend and I. Bed was comfy, very clean room albeit a little outdated for a resort setting. And at those prices per night for a suite, you'd think they could splurge on some bottled water that wasn't $4 each. Room service was well staffed, but the food was cold and rubbery. The catered dinner for the party that we intitially came for was very good. Went to restaurants off property for the rest of the stay.

Indulged in a massage at the wellness center, very nice and the therapist (Sharon) was very good.

All in all, it was an ok stay, I'm just used to a little more 'luxe' at the prices we paid.

• Stayed December 2005
4 Thank ThreadEmpress
Thank you for your review.
I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to our newly updated resort.
Yuma, AZ
Reviewed November 27, 2005

Very, very nice surroundings, nestled in the mountains...so relaxing. The lobby is beautiful. Nice pool area. I was disappointed in the bath tub. I thought it should have a garden tub for sure! Would definately stay there again. Delightful experience.

• Stayed November 2005