“Beautiful property, but service needs to improve”

Hilton Tucson El Conquistador Golf & Tennis Resort
Ranked #15 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
Reviewed March 11, 2014

Property remains one of the most beautiful in the chain of Hilton's, clean, nice pool, stunning views. So far, half way through stay, service a bit lacking. Difficulty finding rooms upon check in (after 2pm), nobody working pool bar, and can't get call back from manager regarding policy on diamond members breakfast coupons. I'll post after the week is over, hope the service aspect improves, because its a great property!

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Hiltonelcon, Manager at Hilton Tucson El Conquistador Golf & Tennis Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2014

I apologize for your disappointment regarding your stay, and I would really like to speak with you so that we can assist with the challenges you have experienced. Since you indicated that you are still in-house, please stop by the front desk and ask for me or email me: shannon.schilling@hilton.com.

Shannon Schilling
Director of Front Office

There are newer reviews for Hilton Tucson El Conquistador Golf & Tennis Resort

Reviewed March 8, 2014

Very nice resort with good amenities. Tucked up against the mountains, it is a comfortable location for families but also accommodating to adults who want some privacy. Adult only pool. Staff was great, friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: The casitas are nice.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
Hiltonelcon, General Manager at Hilton Tucson El Conquistador Golf & Tennis Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2014

We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed the beautiful location, and the wonderful amenities that our Resort offers. We hope that you were able to enjoy one of the many outdoor activities available, golf, tennis, swimming, biking or hiking during your visit, and we will look forward to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed March 4, 2014

I recently stayed 4 nights for leisure with a group. Property is very nice, but the hotel is definitely getting up there in years. Rooms are decorated in typical southwestern decor and are quite large, all with private balconies, but if you look closer, the hotel could really use some TLC. Lots of paint chips and dings, and what was easily the most outdated room thermostat I've ever seen - no way to change temps, just cold/hot and fan speed.

The grounds are very well-kept. Main pool is large, plenty of lounge chairs, nice bar with friendly bartender, amazing mountain views. Secluded jacuzzi area. If you want privacy, the adults' pool is located in the middle of the casitas, and is quite a walk from the main hotel. Likewise, if you want a more private room, the casitas are the way to go. However, some in our group who stayed in them complained that they felt too far away from everything.

On-site restaurant options are limited for a property this large. There is one dinner restaurant, one breakfast restaurant, and a lobby bar that serves coffee in the AM. The dinner restaurant doesn't open until 5:00, so if you want a drink before then, the lobby bar, with only 5 or so seats and a number of lounge chairs & tables, is your only option. Four of us were having drinks in the restaurant Thu night and were asked to leave at 10:30 or so, as they were closing. Not a great experience. When our large group dined together at the main restaurant, they were out of 2 of the bottles of wine we wanted, and several of us complained that the food came out cool and over-cooked. Pretty disappointing.

Service was very friendly and accommodating, particularly the young gentlemen taking bags, etc. out front. Hotel golf course was in good shape and very enjoyable.

Room Tip: Some rooms face the pool and could potentially be loud if there's a large group out there. Other...
1  Thank MilTosa
Hiltonelcon, General Manager at Hilton Tucson El Conquistador Golf & Tennis Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2014

Thank you for your feedback regarding our staff, and we are glad you enjoyed your golf experience. I am sorry that you did not have a good experience in our restaurant, and we will certainly look into the situation. I will also share your comments with our ownership group regarding the guestrooms.
We hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Lynn Ericksen

Reviewed March 3, 2014

We recently stayed at this hotel for a family get together. Great staff, very clean and overall great stay. we enjoyed the great pool area. we would recommend this hotel and if we are ever in Tucson again, we will stay there!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family

We are pleased that we were able to be a part of your recent family gathering, and appreciate your feedback. We are happy you were able to enjoy the beautiful Arizona weather, and our wonderful pool area. It is hard to beat the amazing views of the Pusch Ridge mountains while relaxing by the pool.

We hope to welcome you back if your travels return you to Tucson.

Reviewed March 2, 2014

I really enjoyed my stay. It was very comfortable. I wish that the gym had few more machines but overall the gym was better than most gyms i have experienced. I was at the Hilton for a business trip and would really like to be able to extend my trip to include some leisure time as the hotel has a lovely pool area.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Thank you for your recent stay. Please do come back to enjoy the many leisure activities that we offer including golf, tennis, hiking, mountain biking, spa treatments, hot & cold plunge pools, our main resort pool, and waterslide.

Reviewed March 1, 2014

I am currently staying at the El Conquistador to attend a family wedding, and arrived yesterday afternoon, not having rented a car. The property is way north of Tucson proper, actually in an area called Oro Valley. No shopping is nearby, and the road nearest to the hotel is a state highway with no sidewalks. I wanted to do a ittle shopping at a men's clothing store I had noticed some miles away, but short of calling another cab, there was no way to get there. I mentioned this briefly to the front desk manager, Andra Yearsich, who checked me in with charm, grace and intelligence.
Within minutes of my finding my room and settling in, Andra called personally to tell me that the hotel's shuttle driver, Steve, would be very pleased to drive me to the men's store then and ther. Please note that I had NOT signed up for any shuttle privileges.........Andra had arranged this for me purely by following the precepts of great customer service. Steve was also very friendly, and insisted that I contact him when I was finished my shopping, so that he could come pick me up.
All this is well above and beyond the call of regular duty, so I thought I would write and highly commend Steve, and Andra in particular, for their incredible attitude.
I happen to be a professor in the Hospitality division of a community college, and I will be telling my students this little story to indicate how much actions such as those of Andra and Steve can mean for a guest experience.
Everything else about the El Conquistador pleases me as well: the sumptuous accommodatons, the excellent restaurant food, the upscale but relaxed ambiance and incredible desert/mountain topography. But it is PEOPLE that have the most impact on a guest's stay (and his/her likelihood of returning); Steve's genuine desire to help me, plus Andra's sharply perceptive and empathetic actions are proof positive of this. If every employee here shares their approach, this resort must truly be a guest paradise!

Room Tip: I upgraded to a junior suite, and it is a great choice for either a solo guest or a couple to spread...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo

Thank you for mentioning both Andra & Steve for their outstanding service. It is always a pleasure to hear kind words about our team members. Please know that I have personally recognized them.

We are happy to have been a part of the wonderful wedding memories that will be shared with your family, and hope that we will have an opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed February 28, 2014

Stayed here for three days while attending a business meeting. The location is very nice and I had a beautiful view over the valley from my deck (tempered by the road traffic since I looked over the entrance road). The hotel staff was very friendly and customer focused. The food was a notch up in that it tried to be a bit more creative with a heavy Mexican influence. Room I had smelled like it had been closed up during a long heat spell so I tried to keep my sliding door open for fresh air. Doubt that would work during a hot spell. Furnishings were also about a decade out of date and very generic. Also keep in mind that you are about 30 minutes from downtown and 45 minutes from the airport.

Room Tip: Might want to stay away from the building near the entrance roadway if you are sound sensitive.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay. I hope your business trip was a success, and you were able to enjoy some of the wonderful leisure activities that our beautiful resort offers.

We will look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.