“Average for a Hilton”

Hilton Tucson El Conquistador Golf & Tennis Resort
Ranked #14 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
Reviewed December 15, 2013

First the not so good:

I stayed here in November for a few days on a business trip. I've stayed in lots of Hilton hotels and for a resort property I was a bit disappointed in the rooms. There was several of us staying here and some of us had more updated rooms, some of us not so I think if I had a newer room I would have given this property a better review. My room was dirty - dirty stained carpet, dirty entry way with cobwebs, and a dirty dirty light full of bugs, and in fact a spider camped out on the ceiling in the corner of my room, dust all over. One of my co-workers said the robe in his room which he assumed was clean had makeup stains all over the collar. The decor was a bit outdated as well, but honestly the carpet was so bad I had to wear socks. The bed was comfortable though. I did wipe this place down with Clorex wipes and personally I don't think you should ever have to do that, especially at a place where you expect quality. I did walk by a few other rooms on my way back up to the main building and could not help notice and they looked a ton better than my run down room. I guess my advice would be to ask for a newly updated/remodeled room. I was in 1518.

Now the good: No need to valet park - plenty of on site parking, but if you do valet the price is cheap - like $11 a day. The resort grounds are beautiful and you can't go wrong if you're here for leisure or business. Location is close to a lot of restaurants and was close into the main part of town where we had business and easy to find from the freeway. It's a good 45 minutes away from the airport. You do have to walk a ways to some of the rooms, but it's not so far taht you need to use one of their golf carts. I would advise, checking in, then parking your car and then finding your room. They provide maps but the layout is pretty easy. We did eat breakfast on site in the Sundance Cafe and the food was decent and was free for Hilton Honors members. Service was good too. We also had drinks in the lobby bar (Conquistador Lobby Lounge) and also had dinner on site one night -- Good food, good service. Only disappointment was the TV's in the bar area of the restaurant are small so if you aren't sitting at the bar and hoping to watch something it may be a challenge.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Lady_Nafziger
Hiltonelcon, General Manager at Hilton Tucson El Conquistador Golf & Tennis Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2014

Thank you for posting about your recent stay. We greatly appreciate your feedback. This is how we are able to keep improving our physical aspects as well as our service at the resort. I truly hope you will have a chance to return soon, and I trust that your next stay will be what you would expect from a Hilton Resort.

Reviewed December 15, 2013

Stayed here for 4 nights recently on an all-inclusive deal which was very good value. Really enjoyed our stay, the hotel is very well maintained, the grounds are immaculate and a credit to the landscaping staff. All the staff we encountered were incredibly friendly and showed a strong desire to offer great service. Relaxed by the pool, played some tennis. I recommend visits to Sabino Canyon for a hike, Tohuno Chul Park and Pusch Ridge Stables for a horseback ride into Catalina State Park. Would definitely plan a return visit to El Conquistador

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 11, 2013

We've stayed at this hotel on several occasions and generally have had good service. On our last stay over Thanksgiving, I upgraded to a casita suite and was very disappointed by the hotels preparation for our stay. First of all, the suites, though located on the hotel property, can only be accessed by golf-cart or walking. Our first suite was located 300 yards away from our car, and for us carrying a 11 month old, was very cumbersome. As I eluded to, this was our first room as my wife quickly changed to another as there was hair all over our bed and hair in the bathroom tub and floor. In addition, the room was rather musty, as if the windows hadn't been open in months.This was a first for us, at any hotel. We quickly changed rooms, which was significantly better. I would like to point out that the bellmen were very courteous and helpful in assisting us into our new room. After a few nights there, it was obvious that the bed sheets were never changed during our 5 days there. I know this as an ink mark on a pillow case was there each and every day. Not sure if this Hilton policy, but it isn't exactly what we paid for.
The stay at El Conquistador was otherwise good. The grounds are always well kept, and the restaurant and fitness center are great. Only concern was the lack of response from hotel management to our initial problem.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank G-Mac43
Ghee A, General Manager at Hilton Tucson El Conquistador Golf & Tennis Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2016

I apologize for your previous experience, and hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back to enjoy our newly renovated resort.

Ghee Alexander

Reviewed December 9, 2013

Great Pool and Services. My family really enjoyed all of the activities - i.e. water slide, putting green, hot tubs and main pool area. Very nice and very clean. Employee's not friendly and spent most of their time talking to one another versus engaging their customers.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Thank you for your review. We look forward to welcoming your family back.

Reviewed December 7, 2013

Stayed here for one night on a business trip. It was a very lovely resort and they were all decorated for the holidays. Every staff person I encountered was extremely friendly and opened doors and greeted me at every turn. The room was quite large and I was upgraded to a view room. Since I arrived at night I did not get to enjoy the view until morning, but it was very scenic. Beds were very comfortable and I always appreciate a fluffy robe. Loved the soap and lotion products in the bathroom. Did not get a chance to try the dinner restaurant but it looked very inviting. Breakfast buffet was fresh and had plenty of choices. Will definitely stay here every time I come back to Tucson.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your review. We are delighted to welcome you back.

Ghee Alexander

Reviewed December 6, 2013

Lovely hotel. Breakfast was very good and staff was friendly. Would stay here again if we come back to Tucson. W were upgraded due to our Diamond Status to a junior suite. The suite was large, the bed was very comfortable, the shower was good and there was a safe in the room which I appreciate so that I don't have to lug around my IPAD and jewelry.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
Reviewed December 1, 2013

We arrived the day after Thanksgiving and left on that Sunday. We opted for the All Inclusive Package deal that was offered. Have tried these before and been very disappointed, not this time. First the resort is nestled at the foot of the beautiful Catalina mountains. The winter grass was in and looking as brilliant green as winter grass can look. The pool area is very nice, with a children's area just for them. There are a couple of fire pits that were very popular at night. It says "Come & relax" from the moment you arrive. It is an older hotel, and could use some updating, but it was maintained very very well. The staff was very gracious and helpful at all times. Our room was clean and we had a great view looking north to the valley and mountains, (building 4). The all inclusive included all meals, and drinks up to limits. The food on site was outstanding and very reasonably priced. Did not eat anything that wasn't just wonderful. The Epazote Kitchen was great for dinner. The Sundance Cafe was a wonderful place to start the day for breakfast. If you like golf, the course is in top notch condition. With the all inclusive package you get an hour a day on the driving range, and an hour on the putting green. Additionally, the resort fee is waived. Overall could not have been happier. Thanks El Conquistador for a great weekend!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple