“Hilton Tucson El Conquistador”

Hilton Tucson El Conquistador Golf & Tennis Resort
Ranked #14 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
Reviewed November 3, 2012

It was very enjoyable, peaceful, and a great get-away for my sister and I. The grounds are very well kept. At night we enjoyed watching the owls. Also, if you happen to be visiting people in Sun City it is a convenient location.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed November 1, 2012

I travel to Tucson often for business and alternate between "resorts" & regular hotels always staying within per Diem. I stay at the resorts to be away from town, and have an early hike up the desert trail.
I stayed several times at The Marriott Start Pass ( on the west side) and decided to give this Hotel a try. The El Conquistador is nice and grounds were well kept, the rooms ( as several other reported) were dated, My room overlooked the pool with mountain view. There was a USTA event going on when I stayed. I ate at the hotel restaurant and the food was reasonably priced ( 20 dollars an entree). I did the morning Hike (and enjoyed it). A bonus was a spectacular sunset. A mile from the hotel ( On Oracle) are a variety of restaurants ( Star Pass is more isolated). So if you are price conscious, you will have a very nice time.

Room Tip: Building 3 Overseeing Pool and Mountain view.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 30, 2012

We recently had a two night stay at this Hilton resort and it was better than any other resort we stayed in (especially Diamond)! The accommodations were exquisite - the king-sized bed was ultra comfortable to sleep in, and I love staying in a room that makes you feel like you are in a suite!
The only detraction was the added costs in fine print if you wanted to use room service or purchase a quart size bottle of water for six dollars. If you come prepared for these kinds of amenities, the stay is worth the price!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 29, 2012

I stayed here for 3 nights, 4 days on my 2nd trip to Tucson. The hotel has a grand entrance, beautiful lobby, but the rooms were a bit disappointing for the price. They need to update the rooms and pool area in order to keep up with the rates of the resort and their neighboring resorts. The rooms were very quiet and housekeeping was super nice and friendly! It is a bit away from the city, but does have a great view.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 27, 2012

We had an unexpected snarl last weekend- we had to change hotels at the last minute.
Luckily the El Con had a few rooms left at a competitive price!

It has been many years since we have stayed there- what a beautiful hotel, view and vey quiet!
John at the front desk and Jordan (doorman) were very friendly! This was 8pm, we were tired from Parents' Day at UAZ and this was the perfect place to settle, relax and enjoy the stars.

Thanks John, Jordan and the Hilton El Conquistador, for making our overnighter perfect! Wish we could have stayed longer!

Room Tip: Casitas are smaller, but quiet. Is tight with 4 adults but we made it work.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 23, 2012

This was the second time staying at this resort in beautiful Oro Valley. Our first was very good, considering it was a family trip. This time; however, it was just my wife and I and we were celebrating our anniversary. Once I had booked the room, I received an email from the concierge welcoming us to the resort. The email was very informative and I felt welcomed. I made a call to the concierge to inform them that we would celebrating our anniversary and the attendant took care of the rest. Upon checking, the front desk knew why we were there and we got a special/deluxe room. Once we got to the room, we were greeted with a bottle of champagne and some chocolate covered strawberries, along with a handwritten card wishing a happy anniversary. WOW!! What a welcome! We very much appreciated the effort put forth by the staff. The room was outstanding; very clean, spacious, and welcoming. It had a view of Oro Valley and it was very calming and peaceful. The next morning we had a wonderful breakfast in one of the cafes on the property. It was just a wonderful time and I'm sure anyone visiting here would experience the same things we did. Thank You for making our anniversary a memorable one!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Peter G
Hiltonelcon, General Manager at Hilton Tucson El Conquistador Golf & Tennis Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2012

We are so happy that we were part of your anniversary celebration!
We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Regards,
Lori
Executive Assistant

Reviewed October 20, 2012

I had originally booked an eight-night stay at this "resort" for a relaxing getaway based on understanding that they had riding stables on the property, nice large pools, a spa and fitness center, hiking trails directly from the property, and great views. When I checked in I asked for a room with a nice view of the mountains. I was assigned a room in building four, and I asked if it had a good view, and the check-in person said she didn't know. I thought this was odd. She handed me a map of the resort and showed me how to get to the room. I asked about various amenities at the resort and she mentioned they no longer had riding stables on the property, which was disappointing. When I went to the room I saw that it faced the wrong direction and didn't have the view. (If I had been staying one night this would not have been a big deal, but since I was staying eight nights, it mattered to me.) I called the front desk and they said there was one other room I could look at but it was being made up and I would have to wait to see it. I waited for about an hour. During part of this time while I was waiting I went to check out the spa and fitness center. That was when I learned that the only spa services they do are massages and wraps -- no manicures, pedicures, facials, etc. -- and they do not offer any fitness classes on the property. I have never heard of a "resort" with a "spa and fitness center" where you can't get a basic service like a manicure and they don't even offer so much as a yoga class? Finally I went to see the other room which was in building two -- the view was somewhat better -- still overlooking a parking area but did have a partial view of the mountain. Since they said that was the only other room available, I took it. The rooms themselves are pretty basic. There is no separate tub and shower or anything special or remarkable about the rooms themselves. They are pretty old and need updating. The next day I got up early and went hiking. It turns out there is only one trail within walking distance of the resort, and even that one is a very long walk to the trailhead -- in fact you are recommended to drive because it is all the way out and around where the riding stables used to be and past all of the tennis courts. The trail is lovely but it is adjacent to an area with a lot of traffic that is very built up and doesn't feel like you are in the wilderness at all -- you can still hear a lot of traffic noise from the trail and that is not what I'm looking for when I'm hiking. Having done the one hiking trail, I went back to the resort and went to the pool area. Based on the description I had thought there would be several different pool areas -- one with a water slide, one more for adults -- but it is really just one big pool area. The whole pool area was crowded with families and lots of noisy kids running around, people playing volleyball in the pool, and loud top-40 music playing. It just wasn't what I was looking for. When I ordered nachos for lunch and they came with fake melted "cheese" poured all over them (like melted cheez-whiz or the stuff they use in movie theatres), that's when I realized this whole place wasn't a good fit for me. I did get a massage at the spa and it was quite good, although the "spa" area is pretty basic and doesn't have a jacuzzi or any special amenities. The next day I got a letter under my door saying they were beginning construction on the pool area. That was the last straw. I called around to some other resorts and ended up making a reservation at the JW Marriott Starr Pass for the remaining six nights of my stay in Tucson. I called the front desk and told them I would be checking out, and explained why. They were very understanding but said there would be a $25 fee for early departure. I refused, and went to the front desk to speak with a manager. She then told me the early departure fee was actually $50, not $25, but she agreed to waive the fee for me. When I checked my bill I saw that they had tried to charge me an extra $10 per night for a "view" room, which, given the "view" from my room, was laughable. Fortunately she agreed to remove that charge from my bill as well. I ended up staying at the JW Marriott Starr Pass for the same price and it is a real resort (I wrote a separate review of my stay there) and I was so much happier there -- I'm just sorry I spent the first two days at this place.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Hiltonelcon, General Manager at Hilton Tucson El Conquistador Golf & Tennis Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2013

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay. I apologize that your stay did not meet your expectations. We have taken your comments into consideration, regarding our fitness offerings and now offer a daily Yoga class for our guests. We also offer a quiet relaxing pool that is age restricted for our guests who want to be away from the main pool at the heart of the resort. Our concierge is available to set up horseback riding for guests -- the stables are a short drive from the resort, and the riding is quite enjoyable.

Again, my apologies that your stay did not meet your expectations; I greatly appreciate your feedback regarding your experience.

Lynn Ericksen