“Relaxing; spectacular setting”

Hilton Tucson El Conquistador Golf & Tennis Resort
Ranked #14 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
Reviewed August 19, 2012

Spent two nights here at a conference. I wouldn't have considered this type of hotel for a conference. Big mistake. The staff is extremely helpful and friendly, from the front desk staff to the housekeepers. For this conference, the concierge staff took on the frightening task of arranging all of the transportation from the airport. Between the shuttles and private limos, they pulled it off perfectly. The grounds are well-kept and breathtaking, surrounded by mountains and a very Southwest-looking suburb. The pool area is huge, inviting and lots of people were out there having a blast. The fitness room has an efficient assortment of weights, machines, 4 treadmills and 4 ellipticals. Dry sauna. Massage available. Towels and headphones provided. I broke my personal rule and ate at the restaurant, had burgers and fries. One of the best grass-fed beef burgers ever. My friend had a bison burger that was made with thick bacon and cheese. Nice. Not too pricey for what we got. Wi Fi free in the lobby but that's all. Rooms spotless, beds comfortable. If you can afford it, stay in one of the casitas. I have no complaints about the weekend here, I would return for business or with the family.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed August 18, 2012

This hotel is in two parts. The main part with reception restaurants and pools and 4 wings of rooms is at the top of the steep hill. And a group of bigger rooms called casitas is at the bottom of the hill with their own small pool and parking area.

So if you don’t mind a tough climb up to get to restaurants, pools, tennis courts etc , then the casitas are fine. Otherwise stay up top on the flat.

It is a proper resort hotel with one good swimming pool and a smaller one for the kids on the hilltop. And another smaller one down at the bottom of the hill for the casita residents.

It has some 30 odd tennis courts, some floodlit and is next to a golf course .
And all positioned superbly underneath the mountains in an up market residential area about a 15 minute drive from Tucson proper.

The public areas are in general well cared for with clean pools, well maintained landscaped gardens and immaculate public areas.

We had rooms in building 2 at the top of the hill. The best rooms are those facing pool side rather than the mountains and are on the 2nd or 3 rd floors to get the best views

Our ordinary double was quite spacious with two queens, an easy chair,table,
/desk, a small dressing room and reasonable bathroom .Plus a great balcony which could seat 4.

Maybe a little out of date in décor but still quite acceptable.

And all this for 79 dollars a night in July. This must be about the best value for money in Arizona.

But of course, as with most 4 or even 5 star hotels in sunny parts of the US, avoid weekends in summer because that is when hordes of locals and/or the military descend on the hotel to allow their youngsters to let off steam in the pools

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank roger39
Reviewed August 17, 2012

This is my third stay. I came here on business in late summer of 2011. Ive returned twice because they treat their guests so well. Great breakfast, comfortable rooms and a super golf course nearby. Don't miss this one if you are in Tucson!

• Stayed: August 2012
Hiltonelcon, General Manager at Hilton Tucson El Conquistador Golf & Tennis Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2012

Thank you for your comments. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us, and we will look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed August 14, 2012

Great resort, fun pool area! Lots of activities during the holiday weekend. Family rated movies, animal event, fireworks, music and great food.

The resort is in a rural area but had everything we needed for a fun family retreat over the 4th of July weekend.

• Stayed: July 2012

We are pleased that you enjoyed celebrating the 4th of July at the Hilton El Conquistador. In addition to holiday weekends, we offer a variety of fun activities throughout the summer weekends. From dive-in movies, live entertainment, animal encounters from the Desert Museum, Mad Science, as well as cooking demonstrations from our culinary team there is something for everyone.
We are looking forward to welcoming you back and hope to see you over the Labor Day Holiday weekend.

Regards,
Lynn Ericksen

Reviewed August 14, 2012

Planned an overnight stay at this resort based on the Acacia Casitas advertised on the resort website and a previous stay several years ago. Also spent a lot of time searching other resorts in the area and the TripAdvisor reviews were mostly positive. When my husband went to check in the individual at the front desk offered a room closer to the pool. (The Acacia Casitas have a pool that is adult only and we have 4 year old twins.) My husband agreed with the suggestion because he was not aware of what we had reserved. (Swimming was not even an interest or priority for this overnight trip...) I feel this was a blatant Bait and Switch. The room we were given was in building 4- room 2410. As soon as we walked into the building we were over powered by a dank and musty smell. The room had the same smell. I was immediately confused because I knew that I had reserved a suite and this was a standard room with double beds and a basic bathroom. (Picture Motel 6 circa 1989...) There was mildew in the corner of the tub and the carpet looked so warn and dingy I would not allow my children to sit down. I called the front desk and spoke with Anna who told me that she has never had anyone say there was an odd smell in the building. She then stated that my husband had excepted the room by the pool and that all rooms on the property were exactly the same. I stated that was odd because we have stayed at this resort in the past and had a lovely casita and loved our stay. She then stated after about 5 minutes of back and forth that since " I was not happy she would do me the "favor" of moving us to a casita". She stated that there was usually a $50 dollar upcharge for this but she was going to waive the fee since I was not pleased. I thanked her because I thought she was being sincere and was honestly doing us a favor. We got the key to the new room and guess what! The exact room that I had originally reserved on the website but with a King instead of 2 doubles which I had reserved. As we opened windows and turned on lights we found cobwebs all over the casita, dead moths in the window sill, disgusting white, milky stains all over the dark blue sofa, black sticky goo on the light dimmer switch, and splashes of white goo on the living room mirror. ( am horrified to imagine what was on the couch and mirror!!!) Again our children could not sit on the sofa so we got a towel out of the bathroom and covered the filth. Anna called to check on our room and my husband told her that it was much better than the first but had some housekeeping issues. Anna sent housekeeping over and the lady that came was shocked and apologetic about the condition of the room. At this point it was about 7 in the evening and we had hungry and tired children and the thought of lugging everything to another room was not in the cards. We decided to just deal with it and check out as soon as we could in the morning. I went online to the resort website to confirm that I was not going crazy and found the Acacia Suite that I had reserved with the identical picture of the second supposedly "upgraded" room.

Bottom line- The room that Anna so patronizingly stated she was going to upgrade us to without an additional charge is where we should have been from the beginning. Bait and Switch... We should have had a double bed instead of a King because that is what I had reserved. My children had to sleep on the pull out couch and the housekeeping lady was kind enough to remove the disgusting sofa cushions. I could not sleep all night because I as annoyed at the poor customer service and was itching because of the condition of the room. The following evening we stayed at the Casino Del Sol resort and spa because we were in town for the Duran Duran concert. The hotel was IMPECCABLE and we paid the exact same price!!! Our room, the food, the customer ervice is what the El Conquistador should be. We also did not have to PAY for wifi! The El Conquistador charges $9.95 for wifi... In 2012 with iphones, ipads, android phones and all of the other technology that requires internet access a hotel should not charge for wifi! I will never stay at El Conquistador again and have already told friends and family about this awful experience. There are so many wonderful options in the Tucson area and with the economy being what it is consumers have a choice.

Room Tip: Casitas only! The rooms around the main building are horrible!!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank kimdjoeaz
Hiltonelcon, General Manager at Hilton Tucson El Conquistador Golf & Tennis Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We are sorry that you had a disappointing experience during your stay with us. We know how important your interactions with staff are and we apologize for the service you received from our front desk agent. Thankfully our housekeeping team was able to partially rectify the unacceptable room conditions so that you and your family could rest. We always aim to ensure every guest feels cared for, valued and respected and we are terribly sorry we were not able to deliver on this. Your feedback will help us to better deliver this brand promise moving forward. Guest satisfaction is very important to us and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding stay. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope you will consider staying with us again so that we may show you the quality service and amenities you deserve.

Lori B.
Executive Assistant

Reviewed August 13, 2012

May 2012 was the 3rd time we have stayed here. Unfortunately this property continues to go downhill. There is never anywhere to park and the food is too high priced. We stayed there for 6 nights and the last day we were there no one cleaned our room. We had to do it ourselves! We went and found the laundry cart and got fresh towels and kept calling the front desk to report that our room was not cleaned and to come and get our dirty towels at least. They told us they were overbooked for the weekend and would not be able to! When we got back from dinner there were two kids sitting out in the hall and they said they called security because all you could smell in our hallway was marijuanna! When we went down to get security they said it was no big deal and nothing they could do about what someone does in there room! This is supposed to be a non-smoking property!! Do Not Stay Here! The only thing this place has going for it is a pool and they don't even clean that very often because every time you go there it is dirty....from the day before - GROSS!

Room Tip: Get a room that faces the pool and the mountain.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank elerado
Hiltonelcon, General Manager at Hilton Tucson El Conquistador Golf & Tennis Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2012

First of all, thank you for being a loyal guest and for sharing your candid feedback of your stay with us. I apologize that we did not meet expectations and that you feel we are allowing our quality standards to slip. I am actively working with our housekeeping team to ensure our standards of cleanliness and comfort are upheld consistently. I want to personally apologize for the smoke issue you encountered from another guest, this behavior will not be tolerated and our security team will do a better job of enforcing our no smoking policy going forward. I am always looking for reviews to provide insight into our guest experience and I will keep your comments in mind as we look towards refresh options in the future. Thank you again for your feedback and I invite you back to stay with us the next time your travels bring you to the area.

Lynn Ericksen

Reviewed August 9, 2012

Wonderful resort with very nice rooms. Good beds and big clean bathrooms. But be prepared to pay high prices for anything extra. This includes wifi. The mountain views are magnificent as are the grounds.

• Stayed: August 2012