“Wonderful, relaxing getaway resort...excellent for families”

Hilton Tucson El Conquistador Golf & Tennis Resort
Ranked #17 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
Reviewed December 15, 2007

My husband and I and our 3 kids stayed at this resort this spring and couldn't say enough good things about it. It's a fabulous resort nestled among the mountains in Tucson, Arizona. There are plenty of fun activities the hotel offers. There are 3 pools - a kiddie pool, a pool w/ pool slide, and a large pool for swimming, sunbathing, volleyball, etc. There are fire pits around the grounds for sitting around at night - the whole resort is great! The food is pricey - breakfast for 5 cost around $70, but the resort grounds are impeccable and beautiful and so relaxing. The rooms are large - the suites were very large and comfortable. If you're looking for a family vacation spot, look no further.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank goldentravelbug

Reviewed September 15, 2007

Stayed at this hotel for a conference in early September when the rates were low enough for us to afford it. I found it to be a gorgeous facility... huge lobby area with shops, restaurants, and a bar... good conference facilities... decent restaurant for lunch... nice room on the top (5th) floor of Building 1, with a private balcony (but too hot outside to enjoy it).

The resort is somewhat out of the way... just north of Tucson, so it's a bit of a drive from the airport using I-10, which is undergoing quite a bit of construction. Aside from getting there, the "out of the way" part is part of the attraction. The resort is right next to some craggy mountains, which really add to the desert ambiance... beautiful views. There are plenty of places to eat just a short drive south on N. Oracle Road... you definitely need a rental car.

Catalina State Park is just north on N. Oracle Road... well worth visiting if you're not from the west. Easily walkable trails through cacti, across washes, up to a high point with benches where you can watch the sunset cast a deep red hue on nearby mountainsides. Drive to the Trail Head, and take the Canyon Loop Trail. $6 per vehicle to get in the park. Saw an interesting lizard on the walk, and a coyote on the drive out of the park.

Wouldn't mind going back to this resort and exploring more.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled on business
3  Thank Brian M
Reviewed September 10, 2007

I had very high expectations of the hotel, and I'm sorry to say that it was disappointing.

We had booked 3 rooms for 5 nights. In our room, the 2nd day of our stay as we were hopping in the shower, a huge water roach was clinging to the shower curtain. We disposed of it and promptly called the front desk to express our horror. I was told this was normal because of the proximity of the desert that someone would come to fumigate. No one ever came. We felt ridicule. When I mentioned this at the front desk, the agent was apologetic, told me to block the shower and sink drains to make sure they wouldn't come back, but that was it, we weren't offered anything for our misadventure. We felt dejected.

The noise levels were a true nuisance for the remainder of the stay – and not from children, but from adults! The slamming doors, the voices and the patio doors! The panes are so heavy, they make this rumbling noise that wakes you up each time, especially at 3am in the morning from the neighbours! We could make out people's conversation in the hall, laughter and running between rooms, making it quite difficult to rest. The newspaper carrier made a point of throwing the paper at the door at 4am, giving each door a good bang. You heard it all from start to finish. Lastly, being on the 3rd floor, the people on the 4th floor walk all over your head.

There were many inconsistencies in the bar where we wanted to enjoy our drinks. One time we got peanuts, the next they couldn't find the bag and they'd run out of olives. We had huge margarita glasses the first time, then we had small wine type glasses. The main restaurant is very echo, so when the convention people came storming in one morning, it made such a raucous, we fled. Last of all, the amount of food trays left in the hallways are disgraceful above attracting all sorts of varmint. Yuk!

Finally, the self-serve parking is always full, making us park very far from our building. With the valet parking cost so high, we didn't want to pay over $50 – worst of all, it remained almost always empty during our stay too! Not a popular service I'd say!

In sum, I was genuinely disappointed with this stay. I was expecting much more from Hilton. At check-out, they didn't even care to know how our stay was or thanked us for staying with them. We felt like just another person passing by. I don't care if the hotel has that many rooms, it is possible to offer personalized service anyway! We visit Tucson every year for golf – next time, it won't be at the Hilton. (The Canada course was in an horrible state anyway!!!!!!!!! what happened to the greens??)

As for the other 2 rooms within our party, their disappointment was similar. In my mom's room, a linen bag was left in her room and a valet cart left at the door overnight. It just felt employees just didn't care about the comfort of the guests, the cleanliness and the attention to details. Sad really. Go somewhere else!

If you do decide to go, remember that you may need to walk far from your car to your room and that the service is below standards. We paid $132,50 a night – AAA rate. The lobby is beautiful and the grounds are well maintained. The pool is huge and they provide basketballs and footballs to throw around. The bar service is good, but there are many birds that want to get to your tortillas. We ran out of time to take a horse ride or eat at the other restaurants. There are 4 main buildings and casita-suite types. If you stay in the main building, ask for buildings # 2 or 3 to minimize foot traffic and the highest floor to minimize noise from above. The views are beautiful of the mountain and the sunset. Stay far from the pool, there are people throughout the night chatting away, and it's very echo. The concierge service is very good - gave us good restaurant recommendations.

Hope this helps! We didn't choose the Westin because of reviews like ours, I wish our experience had been a happy one.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
5  Thank MeeowMix
Reviewed September 10, 2007

Truthfully I regretted booking this place after reading all the negative reviews about this resort. For some dumb reason I've decided to read reviews after I booked the hotel. But lucky for us, when we got there we were greeted with a very friendly front dest staff. Doors were opened for us, and people that were riding around in golf carts always asked us if we needed a ride somewhere (something that is appreciated in the HOT sun during the summer). We did experience one downfall... there wasn't a lightbulb in one of the bedroom lamps. Big deal! The bathroom was done over beautifully with a heat lamp and granite sidings, and a plus on top of that was the Crabtree and Evelyn toiletries. We ordered room service one of the evenings and it was promptly served in 20 minutes just like they said. The next day we asked for more towels and they arrived in 5 minutes! That's something that never happened to me in ANY hotel! We didnt' stay around the grounds too much so I can't say too much about the pools and the restaurants, but all I can say is that the staff is super nice and helpful and whatever we needed was provided in a sufficient manner.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
4  Thank ArizonaWildCat2001
Reviewed August 7, 2007

I stayed here 5 nights for a medical conference. The receptionist and housekeeping staff were professional and prompt. The beds are wonderful (many different pillows from soft to firm to choose from). Room service is pricey and the food at the restaurants was overpriced and lower quality that I expected. I enjoyed the great pool scene and wonderful fitness center. From 5:30am-8:00am there were rabbits everywhere on the property!

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank isidella
Reviewed July 23, 2007

I came to the Hilton El Conquistador actually on a business trip, staying about two nights. Check in was a breeze, and they accommodated my request to be near the rest of my co-workers. The only complaint upon check in was they only had one person helping everyone, so I did have to wait about 15 minutes.
Once I got to the room, I was impressed - beautiful view of the mountains and pool area, and the room was super clean! It boasted a huge king-size bed with a down comforter and a ton of pillows. A clean bathroom, fully stocked with upscale Crabtree & Evelyn toiletries, was an added benefit. It passed my "no-mold" test, but the only issue was that the shower head was falling off the wall. Didn't effect me in the least though.
The balcony was great, and it had two sturdy wooden chairs that you could sit out and relax on. One complaint I did have was that the rooms had a musty old smell to them - not overpowering, but you could tell you were staying in an older hotel. Other then that, it was a modern room with modern feel.
Other ammenities that were great were the USA Today paper they delivered to your door that was waiting for you each morning, and the tv boasted quite a few channels, including some movie ones.
I didn't use the pool, but we did go to the hot tub, which was so relaxing. You have a beautiful view of the mountains (and stars at night), and the hot tub was just the right temps...except that the timer for the bubbles kept expiring pretty quickly, so I kept having to jump out and turn it back on. Next to the hot tub was a cool small "cold tub" with a light that changed colors at night (red, green, blue, etc). I did enjoy the hot tub, but a ton of children hopped the fence and interrupted the silence by splashing and yelling. Wish it could've been carefully watched, and the fence needs to be higher so they can't jump it.
Check out was a breeze - very easy and the staff is overly friendly. Anytime I go down to Tucson, I'd love to stay here - it is close to everything, including a ton of restaurants and more upscale places.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank audhep79
Reviewed July 22, 2007

We just returned from a four night staty at the Tucson Hilton El Conquistador. We traveled with a group of 14 baseball players and parents. Our room was a Junior Suite, nice size, decor average, clean, maybe renovated (I'm guessing) 3 or 4 years ago. The hotel is laid out with four buildings in a semi circle around the main pool with casitas separate just north of the main buildings. It's somewhat of a hike if you're in a casita towards the back of the property. Ask to see a layout of the property if you request a casita. The staff uses golf carts to get around. Very limited parking for the casitas if you want to be close to your room. On the other hand, there seemed to be adequate parking for the main four buildings behind the property. Ask before you commit to valet (which of course is what they want you to use.) This property used to be a Sheraton hotel and we did find it to be well maintained. I can't say as if I found the front desk extremely cordial. It seems they do "nickel and dime" you. Food pricing for the quality is rather high. They charge $3.00 just to open the mini bar, not counting the exhorbinant prices of the items inside. Our maid was very accommodating. We were in room 3227 with a walk out patio. Still a nice view of the mountains. I suggest requesting a higher floor with a balcony, depending on if you prefer a pool or mountain view. All in all we had a pleasant stay. The linens were new and nice as were the bath towels. Carpet had a stain (actually a burn mark) and probably could have used shampooing but other than that our room was nice. On our trip we spotted a rattle snake, a torantula and numerous other critters. This is the desert and one needs to watch the path if out walking! We had wonderful monsoon thunder and lightning storms all four nights! With torrential rains! Usually they only last 20 to 30 minutes. We paid $151.05 a night (AAA rate) I'm sure it's much higher during the winter months. It is a dog frinedly property, but they are only allowed in the casitas. From reading other reviews and talking to our fellow travelers, I'm not sure all the rooms have been redone. One of the familes we traveled with said their room seemed dated and something out of the 70's. Again, I'd probably ask before you take whatever room they assign to you.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with friends