“Typical Residence Inn”

Ranked #46 of 130 Hotels in Tucson
San Diego, California
“Typical Residence Inn”
Reviewed February 28, 2012

Our room had been updated. It was clean and check-in was a breeze. Location was okay, but traffic can be an issue in this section of the city. I used Marriott points without any problems.

• Stayed January 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Pagosa Springs, Colorado
Reviewed January 25, 2012

Rooms are nice. We have stayed there twice and will be staying there again in March.
Great staff and service.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank pagosa123
Escondido, California
Reviewed January 22, 2012

We spent two nights here in January. We had a two bedroom penthouse unit. It had a one bedroom upstairs unit with a room in a loft. We had a full kitchen and two bathrooms. The unit was clean and fully stocked. The beds were comfortable and each room had a flat screen T.V. We did not use the fireplace but a log was issued to us for our use. They had a pool which we did not use due to the cool weather. The breakfast was great! We had eggs, waffles, sausage, potatoes, cereals, fruit, pastries and more. The staff was very nice and helpful every morning. Each unit had easy parking in front of each unit.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Parris
San Diego
Reviewed January 14, 2012

We stayed in the 2 bedroom "Penthouse Suite" for three nights. It was actually like a second floor apartment with a loft bedroom. I have paid far less money for far better accommodations. This is the biggest disappointment in a hotel I have ever had. Why do they still get average instead of terrible?
Pros:
Rooms are clean
Good table/desk space
Flat panel TVs
Good breakfast-food was not stale which is common in desert areas
Excellent customer service
Plenty of room

Cons:
This looks like and old apartment complex that has been taken over.
When they say "This room is not accessible" (this should be in LARGE print and at the top of the description and it is not), they mean no elevators, only stairs.
Ice maker squeaked, moaned and was so loud it had to be turned off (it was off when we arrived, but we needed ice)
Bottom level toilet leaked into the bowl, so refilled itself every 3 hours-loud enough to wake you up.
Shower noise from next hotel room was so loud, I had to make sure that my children upstairs were not showering at 11:00 PM.
Upstairs bathroom had timer for light. You wouldn't want to spend more than 15 minutes in the tub, or you will be plunged into darkness
Thin walls. I could hear the neighbors, and people out in the parking lot even though we were in the back.
When you turned on the fan in the living area, the Ground Fault Interrupt switch went off. (Scary)
To heck and gone from anywhere where you might really want to be. Takes 20 minutes just to get to the freeway, and don't go down Speedway-that has to be one of those tongue in cheek jokes. Going south on Wilmont got a little sketchy for my taste, with tagging on walls and signs. How they call this "upscale" is beyond me. Maybe if you stay on the North side of Speedway?
Slowest internet on the planet, with confusing directions in the room (the directions in the room did not match what the desk clerk said when I called to find out how to connect). A "saavy business traveler" would never stay here with this kind of internet connection.

Neither pro nor con, just not our thing:
Odd flat panel TVs. I could hook up a computer but not a portable DVD player.
Hotel DVD player was in the bedroom, not the living room. (Might be a plus for some people, just not us)
Table was set for two upon arrival. This just got in our way, but did look like they wanted things to look nice.

Bottom line: Not convenient to anything (malls, food choices, places to visit, freeway), lots of noise (due to faulty equipment and thin walls), and VERY overpriced for what you get (at least as far as the "Penthouse Suite" goes). Staff is excellent, it is apparent they have tried to fix this hotel up and have not worked out all the kinks, and they have thought about what an extended stay visitor would want in a hotel. If you have a need to be near the hospitals nearby, it might be for you. There are better choices for less money in more convenient locations if you are visiting attractions in the area.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Sitka,Alaska
Reviewed November 1, 2011

A good place to spend a week with easy access to Tucson and surroundings.

Quiet, clean, good service, and even outside gas grills for your own evening barbecuing.

Breakfast is simple. There is wine and simple snack food evenings 4 days a week.

Internet is free but slow.

Room Tip: Almost all rooms a distance from main road. There are 2 levels in most units. A special feature is...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Sierra Vista, Arizona
Reviewed October 10, 2011

We were here for a night's stay. Very quiet and comfortable hotel my wife and I and our two kids, 4 and 2 yr olds. Breakfast was great and staff was very friendly. Each one I came across greeted me with the proper greeting of the day. Room was great because this hotel offered a DVD player in the room, which makes the stay for the kids much better. Overall great stay. I would stay here again in the future.

• Stayed October 2011
San Diego, California
Reviewed September 5, 2011

I come down every summer to visit my family here in Tucson.My spouse and I stay at the Residence Inn Marriott on Speedway its just a wonderful hotel. All the hotel staff are at your service when you need them they always have a smile to greet you with. It also has all the amenities you need just like home! My family can come over and I can even cook for them in are full kitchen. and my husband can sit in the living room surffing the complimentary wireless internet. If your ever in Tucson Arizona! Residence Inn is the place to stay!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple