“In bad need of renovation, barely acceptable.”

Quality Inn & Suites Airport North
Ranked #102 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
Reviewed December 4, 2012

Although the room was quiet, it was clearly worn out.
The bed was all lumpy and uncomfortable and appears to be as timely as the 70s decor in the room.
This place is just worn out, and in bad need of repair and restoration.
Although 'functional' the room and amenities were barely acceptable for a stay here. Unfortunately we had booked 2 nights and it made it worse to stay here the additional night.
The breakfast is barely that, instant egg sandwiches from Costco to heat in the microwave...thin coffee (barely brown), and a very limited assortment of rolls (mostly Costco sweet rolls and bread slices).
The restaurant on site it closed so you'll have to find somewhere else to eat.
The hot tub had 'black' water in it...I'm not kidding, it had a black tinge to it...I couldn't imagine what it was but judging from the rest of this place it was probably corrosion from the piping system.
The hotel staff was nice enough, but they obviously didn't have much to work with. I asked about the WiFi and was given the "maybe it'll work, maybe it won't" story...in my room (183) it did work, but very slow.
This place used to be the Palo Verde Inn (according to the desk staff) and is in the process of being renovated (couldn't convince me of that, I didn't see anything being worked on). The sign out front was covered by a cloth Comfort Inn & Suites sign...
I can't recommend this place unless you have absolutely no where else to stay and don't mind the run down conditions.

Room Tip: Go to a different motel or ask to have a room in the main building, not one of the sections they cal...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CaAz-JT
There are newer reviews for Quality Inn & Suites Airport North

Reviewed October 13, 2012

Not sure what all the negative reviews are about... I've stayed here twice and found it to be quite acceptable, especially for the low price that I paid for my room. This is a good place to stay if you are traveling with a pet (although there is a $10 fee for pets).

Pros:
-clean room
-breakfast included
-pet friendly
-hot tub
-very affordable
-easy access to airport, I-10 freeway, AMARG/Boneyard area and Pima Air Museum

Cons:
-wireless internet didn't work
-bathtub was a bit dirty and didn't have a plug for the drain
-phone in my room wasn't hooked up.

The hot tub in the main pool area was out of service during my stay, which was initially a disappointment - until I walked over to the other side of the complex (across the parking lot) and found a secluded second hot tub that was much larger and nicer than the one in the main area!

Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Robbie R
Reviewed March 24, 2012

I Had poor service and the run arounds from staff there from March 18-20th 2012.

This hotel had NO WIFI CONNECTION, STAFF are RUDE. Towel rack was falling out from the wall. No working light bulbs. The heater was blowing out cold air every 2 hours. Plus, My reservation was in a week in advice for a SMOKING ROOM and they put my family and i in the wrong room. The HOTEL staff DOES NOT take responsibility for they're mistakes AT ALL.

Nothing has been resolved to refund my money.

PLZ..
NO ONE TAKE A CHANCE ON THIS HOTEL. Not worth the pain and money.

Room Tip: Don't take a chance on this hotel. I did and i wish i didn't.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank MaryCollier2012
Reviewed March 15, 2012

Perhaps at one time this was a nice place to stay, however, it appears to be in financial trouble. Took us two calls and 45 minutes to get a shuttle from the airport to the motel {3 miles}. Housekeeping was not up to standards, garbage on the grounds, breakfast was bad coffee, stale bread and dry cereal. The topper was they advertise a restaurant; non existent. No restaurant/bar within walking distance. We will stick with chain hotels in the future

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank Muirdenk
Reviewed February 26, 2012

It is an owner, manager situation, and he is maximizing short term profit at the expense of long term viability. I actually felt sorry for some of the staff as they did not want to look anyone in the eye as all guests were upset. One told me the owner had just disappeared without leaving word and they could not get breakfast supplies without him. We would have left but the Gem show was on, and other hotels were booked solid. They obviously overbooked for the Gem Show period, and were turning folks away who had confirmed reservations without any prior notification. Little did those folks know they were the lucky ones.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Cliff845
Reviewed February 20, 2012

The room was dank and dingy, stank of animal urine, and the carpet was filthy and would leave your feet black when you walked on it.

Patio furniture in the courtyard was dilapidated, falling apart, with broken wooden slats and loose screws.

The laundry room was a filthy mess and there was no soap available. How convenient is that? Offer guests laundry but expect that they pack laundry detergent to bring with them? Makes no sense to me.

The microwave oven in my room had a huge dent in the side of it, inspiring confidence that I was being cooked along with my meal.

The "Pool" or "Sauna" in the courtyard looked more like an Algae culture than anything else. I think they had some people show up and pretend to swim in it making it seem to look "OK". I'd not let my fish swim in that thing.

The free internet was basically useless and all one weekend kept dropping connections and even basic email and browsing would not work. Complaints to the front office were met with the response "It is working fine.". Oh really?

There were no "Do Not Disturb Signs" anywhere to be found. Housekeeping felt a need to bash on the door so loudly that all of Tucson could hear them and this went on randomly every day since you could never tell when they'd be over the next day. I suppose they like to keep us guessing to see if we can electrocute ourselves on the AC.

I had to have some items shipped to me there and had one arrive late after I checked out, of course they kept the item instead of returning it and refusing to sign for it. The one parcel I picked up from the woman at the front desk had her ask me as though I had just barfed all over her shoes: "ARE YOU A GUEST HERE SIR???". I suppose it would be simple enough to assume since I knew the package was there and where it was from and had the name right you could ask me for my room key and ID and the problem could have been resolved in a polite way. Instead I needed to be treated like second class scum. She probably had a rash of people running around to strange hotels in rinky dink desert towns all over the world just guessing the names on people's packages right and getting their delivery dates correct and then absconding with them thereby cheating her out of the opportunity to steal them herself. Hard to know, but she was one of the rudest people I've encountered in some time.

Their booking systems require that you prepay your 28 day visit ALL in advance online. I'd warn you to NOT do this and go someplace else.

An air conditioner that I see had been leaking down the wall onto the floor for some time since the drywall was all soaked and ruined and the electrical outlet that powered the unit was soaked, corroded, and rusted into place as was the outlet. The carpet in that area was soaking wet and would get so soaked with water that when you stepped onto it the water would well up around your feet making puddles where you stepped. This obviously was unsafe, you could kill someone this way by electrocuting them and the unit finally stopped working completely when the fan bearing froze up and stalled the motor making it start to stink and smoke. I was awake at the time, a good thing, since this was going to start a fire next. I informed the front desk and the hotel staff was rude about the whole thing, non-apologetic, and had me change rooms, which of course was inconvenient for me, but he clearly did not care. They no doubt had hoped that the water all over the outlet would carry charge down to the soaked floor and I'd be zapped to death attempting to keep the thing from bursting into flames in the middle of the night. Sorry to have cheated someone else out of my death.

Make other lodging plans when you have to visit Tucson, or if you don't need to visit Tucson, my advice is to pass on the whole thing. You are not missing anything.

Room Tip: Run away, quickly....and don't go back, ever....
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Billie N
Reviewed February 10, 2012

I have stayed here 3 times in the last 8 years. The last time was terrible. I reserved a suite and got a room. The sheets and towels were poor. The toilet had to be snaked 3 times. The toaster in the breakfast room had to be circuit breaked repeatedly. The staff was attentive but when you are in a trap, where can you go. The Gem show, caused us not to be able to go elsewhere. Won't be back even if it was free.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business