“Great resort and staff”

Ranked #20 of 130 Hotels in Tucson
Montreal, Canada
“Great resort and staff”
Reviewed July 6, 2007

This was our first stay in an OMNI hotels and we loved our time there. Even if it is being fully renovated, I found that the existing rooms and other facilities where very nice so I guess they will only get better after that.

What really made our time there (5 nights) so nice was the staff: from the front desk to the cleaning staff, they always wanted to make sure that we were pleased with our stay and to see if we needed anything, without being overbearing in any way. I can say that any request that was made was always promptly answered.

A very pleasant stay !

• Liked — The staff
  • Disliked — Nothing really.
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank Yul

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
Sherwood, Oregon
Reviewed April 20, 2007

The good:
- Spa: The spa was amazing! We had manicures, pedicures, and facials. The technicians were amazing and it was probably the best facial I have had in a long while. One bright note- the manicurist gave us all the best tips on shopping and we found the Off 5th store just five minutes away was fantastic - amazing designer stuff at bargain basement prices, so that was a highlight! The spa bathroom is gorgeous, with every supply you could ever need and an empty sauna and steam room.
- Common areas: The common areas were nice, and the pool is very pretty, and I loved that they put out towels for you.
- Food: The room service breakfasts were very good - we had the fruit medly and it was excellent. The rest of our meals were through the conference and they were also excellent so compliments to the kitchen!
The bad:
- Room mixup: We were here for a conference and the rooms were very dissapointing. They had overbooked and moved us to a king size room even though we had confirmed two queens with a pool view twice and booked months in advance. So they moved us back to two queens but it was awful! The room was very dark and needs updated - we asked to be moved right away but they were overbooked and could not move us for the entire visit.
- Noisy: The room was right by the first hole and we were woken every morning before 5 by early bird golfers starting up their carts and teeing off. The people upstairs were incredibly loud, so we felt sandwiched!
- Uncomfortable: The beds were very hard and old. I am spoiled at home with my sleep number bed but this bed was very hard! The pillows were also very cheap and hard, so much so that I went to the ross down the road and bought a feather pillow on my second day here!
One saving grace in the room was the bathroom, which was big, with a walk in closet and seperate makeup area which was great for two people. it also had lovely tile and great toiletries, with plenty of towels.
However for the price, I would not go back unless they refurbished the rooms (which we were told they plan to do soon).

• Liked — Pool, Spa, Room service
  • Disliked — Room
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank KiwiCowgirl07
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed April 10, 2007

I had never visited Tucson before. Next time I do, I will certainly stay at least a night at the Omni. From the moment I checked in the staff was amazingly friendly and helpful. The hotel layout is not particularly intuitive, but just when I started to get lost heading to my room, a helpful member of the staff appeared to lead the way. The room was incredibly spacious--the bed sumptuous. Very nicely appointed room and a wonderful bathroom. The turn down was a treat to return to every night. The casual hotel restaurant had great food and was a nice place to unwind at the end of the day. The Omni is known for service and this hotel delivered.

• Stayed February 2007, traveled on business
3 Thank MeigsField
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed March 16, 2007

The minute I saw my large, comfortable room at the Omni, I regretted not bringing my husband. I also apologize for forgetting my camera on this trip. Suffice to say that it lives up to the pictures on their Web site. Rooms were either new or recently renovated- no dirty grout or dusty corners. Scenery was magnificent. Staff were friendly and helpful but not cloying and obsequious. One of my colleagues remarked that if you walked by someone using a leaf blower, they turned it down till you were past to spare you the noise.

This is a hotel that gets both the business and the pleasure parts right- the heavy, crisp sheets, nice soap and other amenities, and the good food make it feel like a resort- but the Wi-Fi in the rooms was fast and dependable, with no problems getting connected. They even had Wi-Fi in the meeting rooms, which I hadn't encountered in my other business travels. Very much appreciated. (I don't have a Blackberry yet!)

A few misses: a friend who usually gets her father a golf shirt reported that they cost $84 here. She turned that down. Tap water is strongly chlorinated, which makes a very bad cup of coffee in the room. Unfortunate since they had Wolfgang Puck coffee packets. I don't think Wolfgang would approve. Restaurant coffee was fine. Either stop on your way up and buy bottled water or leave the carafe of water out overnight so the chlorine dissipates. You will want LOTS of water- the dry air leaves you thirsty. There's a $12/day "resort fee" which is "automatically added to your room charge". Let's call it what it is, people- it's just another way of adding bucks to the room rate.

I would definitely return to the Omni, either for business or just R&R.

• Liked — Large, comfortable room in a beautiful setting
  • Disliked — Heavily chlorinated tap water in rooms- awful!
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled on business
3 Thank AThena53
Marysville, Washington
Reviewed February 25, 2007

This hotel is bizarre. The worst "4 star" hotel that anyone I was with has ever stayed at. Only a handful of employees seemed like they had ever been there before -- noone knew where anything was, what services were offered, even directions to the hotel from a few minutes away. THe lobby feels like the entrance to a motel or a funeral home -- one lone person at a desk is "reception"....the beds have lumpy pads, the pillows feel like bean bags and foam slabs. THe only people that had a clue were housekeeping. The pool was ok, but it only looked like the photos on line when you laid down flat on the chaise and got a wide angle view. Stay away -- we've been to the Marriott amd the WEstin and La Paloma -- no REASON on earth to visit the Omni.

Stayed February 2007
1 Thank foodie05
Washington, DC
Reviewed December 5, 2006

Having experienced four of Tucson's 4 star resorts, I can comfortably say that the Omni has no real competition. I stayed there in both February and April, and the weather is phenomenal! Its mountainside location with spectacular sunsets, sophisticated spa, elegant dining, well-appointed rooms and seasoned staff make staying there a delight! Most importantly, service is the best by far at the Omni.

The property is in northern Tucson in the foothills of the Santa Catalina Mountains. While golf is a primary draw for the Omni, it provides a great setting for a resort vacation without hitting the links at all. The central reception building houses the spa, restaurants and shops, and the lodging buildings are an assortment of stucco rooms and villas sprawling between two outdoor pools and other recreational amenities.

I would note that many of the rooms closer to the reception building are built into the hillside, and consequently, some on the lower level are a bit dark for my tastes. You might ask for a room overlooking the pool or on the upper floor. The staff is very accommodating in that regard and gave me carte blance to pick amongst available rooms when the first one wasn't as bright as I like. A large king room with sitting area, wet bar and huge bath and dressing area overlooking a flowering tree and the pool became my abode. When a water main break caused problems, I was transferred to a one bedroom villa with high ceilings. My only regret was losing the amazing bathroom and dressing area in my former room. The full kitchen in the villa did enable me to cook one night which was a nice respite from hotel dining. Stores are within a mile of the property if you desire snacks. All rooms have either a balcony or patio with furniture.

The upper pool at the Omni is quite relaxing, but on the smaller side, and the larger pool near the villas is a bit remote and colder, at least in the winter. If water activity is what you're really after, the El Conquistador Resort's water slide and pools are a nice option. The rooms there are cookie cutter small though, and the property is convention-oriented with minimal attention to real service like that at the Omni. Poolside service of lunch and drinks is provided by friendly Omni staff located at the full bar. Chaises and towels are of the finest quality, and the Arizona sunshine can't be beat!

The spa provides fitness classes and offers a wonderful respite with a multitude of services. Locals who live near the villas belong to the spa as well, so that helps the Omni maintain a robust class schedule. Call the concierge to have one mailed to you before your visit. Machines, weights and balls are also available in the gym area. The spa reception area and locker room are a peaceful haven with water and light snacks provided. The staff is professional and friendly, and I thoroughly enjoyed the time I spent there rejuvenating.

The dining options vary from formal to sports bar in orientation, with the latter sporting billiards tables and TVs in a rear room. The ambience in both is preserved by seasoned waitstaff and hosts, and the food quality is above average to worldclass in presentation and quality.

The Omni's concierge, Johnny, is perhaps the most charming repository of local information that one could hope for. All of Tucson's attractions come alive with her mini-history lessons, as she gives you pre-printed directions that she's expertly assembled. She'll also direct you to remote finds that aren't even listed in Lonely Planet's guide.

The clubhouse for tennis is near the villas as well, and a pro is on staff daily. Watching a sunset from the hottub at the lower pool is worth doing. All in all, the Omni provides a peaceful vacation. Join Omni's preferred guest program before your stay, and you'll even have your morning beverage and paper delivered to your door free of charge each morning!

Stayed April 2006
9 Thank DC_World_Traveler
Cape Coral, Florida
Reviewed November 8, 2006

I stayed in the Sonoran suites. The room was beautiful with separate large bath and shower, walkin closet, and separate eating area. Depending on where you are located the mountain views are outstanding. The pool view not so good. However, would stay again if in the Tucson area.

• Liked — Room
  • Disliked — parking not close to room
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple