“Just OK”

Loews Ventana Canyon Resort
Ranked #7 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed August 9, 2006

The Loews has a lovely location, beauitful building and grounds. Service was very friendly and accommodating. We were there on a Sunday night and could not eat at the Ventana Room, which I have done before and found it to be remarkable. The couple meals we had in the Coyote Bill's were just OK.
Our room was lovely, great view of the waterfall in the canyon. We became Loews First members online before boooking and rec'd upgrades, wine, free parking, etc.

They failed to deliver our wine and we had to ask for it. And the mini bar in the room is not cold, just tepid and we had to request a little fridge to keep something cold. Who would want warm water/soda/beer from a tepid mini bar? They couldn't answer that. And the $6 for a bottle of water seemed excessive even for a property of this caliber.

It was extremely crowded & noisy around the pool due to kids .(Yes, I like kids, just not other people's when I want just my spouse and me.) The pool near the spa is for adults only, and is lovely, but you can't get food and beverage service there. Guess it's better to keep the booze near the kids???

The furniture in the outdoor seating areas is getting a bit tired, in my opinion, and again, I expected more. It looks cheap. Upon departure we drove to the new JW Marriott and found their outdoor area much better: New furnishings, big fire pits and fireplace, spa pool, plus a separated pool for adults & kids, with food service. I didn't see the rooms.
Maybe I've read too many Laura Landro reviews in the Wall St Journal and I'm jaded about what to expect at a resort with the Loew's reputation and pricetag. I'd try the Marriott next time.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
14  Thank Yancha

Reviewed July 31, 2006

Mega resort that shows some wear and tear and needs redesign.

It's a lovely spot and they try to service you, but it just doesnt quite make it to 5 stars becuase the service is contrived and insincere. Unlike most five-star hotels, staff here seem like part-timer college kids and not professionals.

The restuarant here is prohibitively expensive and the "bar/club" is pretentious at best.

I would not come back here if I wanted a five-star experience, but it certainly was better than your average resort.

12  Thank Goldbar193
Reviewed July 25, 2006

Booked into the Ventana Canyon via American Express Platinum FHR and am also a member of Loews first. Received amenities for both. It was a good rate, low season, received lots of goodies, breakfast, indulgence credit, free parking, upgrade, bottle of wine etc. Staff was always friendly, room service very prompt. Food was pretty good, not the best I have ever had. Drinks at the pool were well made and reasonable by resort standards, 6.00-8.00, pitcher of margaritas for 25.00 (about 6 drinks!) was a good deal. Rooms very large as well as bath/shower. Views of the mountains in the rain during monsoon are spectacular! Had a great time

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled with family
13  Thank la femme folle
Reviewed July 22, 2006

We had a wonderful stay at this hotel. They offered a great summer getaway package, so we stayed for two nights. The main reason we chose this hotel was because it was pet friendly. Our dog was greeted with a dog bowl, placemat, toy and dog treat. We were told upon check in that we would be in the "pet area" of the hotel, which didn't initially sound too appealing, but it was great. We were in a seperate wing of the hotel, that was very quiet and only one level, meaning we had nobody above us or below us. We had a large grasssy area in front of our room for our dog to play and use for the bathroom. They provided poop bags in the area as well. It was great to just open up the sliding glass door and let the dog out in the morning. There was a short wall around the balcony, but our large dog had no problem hopping right over it! We also got to know our hotel neighbors in the grassy area and our dogs had a great time together.

We don't have children, but were talking to another family with kids that said the programs were great. They give the kids a sports bottle upon check in that can be filled with juice, milk, soda, etc. for free all day long. Another poster said the hotel didn't offer children's programs, but this woman said her kids were enrolled in the Kids Camp all day from 8-5. She was there for a conference however, so it may have been set up just for that.

The grounds were beautiful and we enjoyed just lounging by the pool and having drinks. I'm sure that there are other nice hotels in the area, but this place can't be beat if you're traveling with pets.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled as a couple
10  Thank millem04
Reviewed July 17, 2006

My wife and I arrived early in the afternoon. Check in was a breeze and we had no problem checking in early. Our king bedroom was on the 3rd floor with a mountain view. Certainly pay the extra money for a mountain view or you may be looking at the parking lot. The room was great and the bed was very comfortable. We joined Lowes First when we made our reservation, what a good decision. A full bottle of red wine and nuts were our welcome gift. In addition we received use of the spa for free, which was $12 a day otherwise. If you stay at a Loews you must join Loews First.

The staff was wonderful. Every employee we met said hello to us first. They were great and their attitude reflects well on the management.

The pool area is a little small, however the pool by the spa met our needs. If you enjoy coffee, make sure you get the bottomless cup at the Barista. It's good on refills until 5:30PM. The Barista opens early, 5:30AM, which is great for those of us visiting from the eastern time zone. We found no need to valet, the parking lot was close enough, although rather full on the weekend.

Loews Ventana Canyon is wonderful.

• Stayed: July 2006
11  Thank OSPESQ
A TripAdvisor Member
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed July 16, 2006

First of all, the staff was friendly and we were very pleased with the service. The room was nice and clean. The best thing about the room was the huge shower and tub. The summer rates are great. The resort grounds and interior are beautiful. Now for the cons. The bed was very uncomfortable - the mattress was hard and I woke up throughout the night with my back hurting. The room was very dark - not much sunlight. The Cascade Lounge/room service food was horrible - they actually serve instant mashed potatoes(yuck!). The so-called kids program really doesn't exist. I received a brochure in my daughter's crib that advertised a play group. When I inqured about it, the concierge had to check into it. She called back and said that it's not offered at that location. We will definitely stay somewhere else next time.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled on business
6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 12, 2006

My husband and I just stayed at the Loews for our anniversary weekend.
Unfortunately, it wasn't as good as I'd expected, especially for a Loews.
The valet staff upon driving up wasn't really prepared to greet us.
Also, as we arrived at 8:30pm, we really wanted dinner, casual, but still dinner.
However, the only restaurant open was the Flying V which was very expensive.
Other than this, their Cascade Lounge was open, but since they allowed smoking, it was incredibly smoky in there - too much to enjoy a meal. We decided to just order room service.
Our room view wasn't really the "mountain" view that I'd booked. It was a blend of the mountains and parking lot. The big bathtub was nice, but that was about the only real resort "perk".

Since they were booked for Saturday, we moved to the JW Marriott Starr Pass. That was head and shoulders above the Loews. It was truly a great resort - on par with the Ritz Carlton and Four Seasons. Their price is comparable too!

• Stayed: June 2006