Loews Ventana Canyon Resort
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
View Hotel
Canyon Ranch in Tucson(Tucson)
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
  • Breakfast included
3,025 results
All reviewsflying vcascade loungebill's grillnatural waterfallhuge bathtubkoi pondgolf coursewilliam arceguacamolecity viewhiking trailbeautiful propertycatalina foothillssonoran desertfitness centerthe entire stafftennis courts
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 3, 2010

We absolutely loved the Loews Ventana! The saguaro-ornamented surroundings are sensational with views of five different mountains from the base of a waterfall. It's hard to believe you are in Tucson. Loews Ventana is the perfect winter destination. It was 70-75 degrees the two days we stayed there at the start of January. Tucson is a very fun city to shop, dine, or enjoy a night out on the town.

It was slightly less than half-capacity when we were there and the front desk upgraded us to a gorgeous suite with balcony view. We ate dinner at the Flying V across the parking lot which was excellent in all aspects. In the morning we played croquet, walked to the waterfall and around the resort taking in breath-taking views, and stayed for brunch before leaving. It was a relaxing weekend without the in-house spa treatment! I wouldn't say anything was extremely pricey, but it was on par with the nice resorts.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank K_Christo
Reviewed January 1, 2010

My husband & I stayed here for my birthday and New Years and had a great time. The staff are all friendly and helpful. Our room was cleaned daily and the bed turned down nightly. I wish they didn't close the Ventana Room for dinner as it was a 5 Star Restaurant. I really enjoyed eating there. Also, they have begun charging for parking daily. All in all it is a fantastic resort and will return in the future.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AZretiree
Reviewed December 29, 2009

My family of four just spent a week at the Loew's Ventana Canyon over the Christmas holiday. We had a great time. Very nice hotel.

Location:

First, the location is ideal. It is located in the foothills, so there is a great view of the valley, city and mountains. We were in rooms 4206 and 4208. The upper rooms are much better because of the view. Our view was across the pond, down the 9th fairway. The view alone was worth the stay. The resort is very close to Sabino Canyon, which you must visit during your stay. You do have to drive a couple of miles to get to area shops and restaurants.

Hotel:

The hotel is very well maintained. Everyone in our group enjoyed the lounge area. We noted that unlike many hotels, there was a lot of activity in the lounge, which was fun. Live music most nights. People watching football on the big screen and bar tv.

The pool was warm and we used it even though it was fairly chilly outside. Everyone enjoyed the short hike to the large waterfall behind the hotel.

Our rooms were spacious and appeared to have been remodeled recently. The furnishings appeared new. Nice rock tile in the bathroom and dressing area. Each room had a balcony from which to take in the distant views.

Food:

We only dined at the canyon cafe. It was always good for breakfast and lunch. Service in the cafe and lounge was wonderful. Always helpful and friendly. Everyone in our group commented on the quality of the service. We booked a small conference room for a christmas gathering. They arranged christmas decorations and a very nice buffet. When you are in the area you should try dinning off the resort at Acacia. We had dinner there on Christmas Eve, and everyone loved it. I recommend the beef wellington. Our favorite, however, was a new Indian placed named Saffron. We love Indian food and this was some of the best that we have had.

Children:

It is a kid friendly hotel. They took special care of them in the cafe and lounge. Many children's activities and games. We didn't take advantage of a lot of them because of other activities, but it was nice that they were available.

Golf:

I loved both courses at Ventana Canyon. Guests play the Mountain course on even numbered days and the Canyon course on odd days. Both courses are as well maintained as any courses that I have played. Almost every hole has a view to the valley. The 18th on the Mountain course has a tee shot from the mountainside that was particularly spectacular. Both courses are great, but I think I liked the mountain course a little more. We saw rabbits, road runners, a hawk and other desert animals along the course. The practice facility is first rate. The pro shop could be a little better, but not too bad.

Golf Warning: Before you pay the "discounted rates" for hotel guests you should check the rate on Golfnow.com. I didn't learn about this until it was too late. I paid $105 on a weekday and $140 on Sunday. On Sunday I played with two guys who only paid $69 that day. On Golfnow.com the rate is $59 on the weekday and $69 on the weekend. I complained at the hotel, but they say that they do not own the golf course and that they cannot change the rate. Ridiculous. People off the street should not pay less than half of what hotel guests are paying. That said, these are great courses, especially if you can play for less than $70. I noticed that there are a lot of great deals on Tucson golf on Golfnow.com. Unfortunately, too late to take advantage of them. Next time . . .

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
4  Thank Mike088
Reviewed November 9, 2009

Beautiful facility with attached golf course, several dining choices. Concierge service was very helpful and friendly. Front desk quick and efficient. Pillows needed to be replaced in our room the only negative I have to say.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed October 20, 2009

Came to this hotel for a business conference. Our group was given a very good deal & room rate which included the internet fee ($10.95/day), parking fee ($9/day) and fitness center fee ($10/day). The rooms are clean and comfortable but nothing extravagant. I would have to agree with the traveler that said they are on par with the Hampton Inn. The bathroom is a bit nicer than that though with the giant tub, small TV and the nice toiletries. I didn't have any of the problems with the shower that another traveler had mentioned. It was warm and good water pressure. Also didn't have any problems with noise - actually found the place quite quiet.

This place is by no means "reasonable" when it comes to prices. The bottled water available in your room had a $6 per bottle price tag on it. There is a grocery store about a mile down the road - so I went there and stocked up on bottled water for 87 cents a bottle. I didn't even take the key for the mini-bar but I can only imagine the prices on those items. The free in-room coffee set-up was nice. Another traveler mentioned only getting one pod of coffee per day but this was not true in my room (see picture) coffee and tea was plentiful. The on property restaurant looked nice enough but the prices were quite steep. They prepared a special (reduced price) lunch buffet for our group for $15.95 (including tax & tip). A few guys from our group also ordered the kid's meal from the grill by the pool which was only $7.50 and quite huge for a kid's meal. There are several nice restaurants with much more reasonable prices close by.

I was not overly impressed with the housekeeper who attended to my room. When I arrived I noticed one of the towels hanging in the bath had a brown stain (looked like makeup) on it. I left the towel on the floor the next day as the little sign said to leave your towel on the floor if you want them replaced. When I returned to my room later in the day, I found the SAME TOWEL with the SAME EXACT STAIN hanging neatly back in the bath!! I must say I was totally appalled by this.

For what I was here for (a business conference) and for the deal our group got this place was fine. It's in a pretty area with some nice views, but this isn't some place I'd pay to come back to for a vacation - especially at the prices I have heard some people pay for the rooms here. Maybe if you can get them cheap on Price Line like on traveler suggested that would be fine, but I would not pay the high room rates.

I must say that all the staff was very friendly and helpful and greeted you and made you feel welcome whenever they passed by you in the hotel. I would recommend this place if you can get it for a reduced rate (or if your company is footing the bill) but definitely not at the full price and I wouldn't plan on eating here unless you have a pretty big budget.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business