“Loews Ventana is fabulous!”

Loews Ventana Canyon Resort
Ranked #7 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed August 13, 2005

Even though we stayed during the heaviest of the monsoon, it was a wonderful place to stay! The rooms were very spacious and comfortable. The balconies were an awesome place to sit, read, birdwatch & relax. The staff was excellent, from the time we pulled up to the front door until we drove away. We want to especially thank Terry at the Canyon Cafe, he was a wonderful waiter! And thank you to Victoria, the concierge, she was most helpful and gracious. We are looking forward to our return trip next August.

• Stayed: August 2005
10  Thank mamx5

Reviewed June 7, 2005

This was my second stay at Loews, the first being 15 years ago... Great location, and the room was really nice... What was really surprising though this time, and others mentioned it, was how they nickel and dime you to death... Plenty of parking spaces, but you get charged an extra fee for parking, even though you're paying several hundred a day for a room... Significant charges for internet access, and you have to order from the restaurant just to get a cup of coffee... (I opted for the five minute drive to Starbucks every morning...) I never experienced this type of routine extra charge for every little thing at a luxury hotel before.

The only other negative was the strong cigarette smoke smell in the massive lobby area that could also be smelled in the hallways adjacent to the lobby... Take away the strong tobacco smoke smell in the lobby, and the petty extra charges for the little things, and I could very well become addicted to this place... Even so, I'll probably return to Loews in the future, unless I like the Marriott Star Pass better after I try that facility...

• Stayed: February 2005
13  Thank midnightblues
Reviewed May 29, 2005

When I booked the Loews Ventana Canyon Resort almost 6 months ago I was hoping for something special for my 10 year anniversary with my husband. I had requested a room with a view of a "grass or desert landscape view" since my husband loved the desert. I had booked this under an AARP rate and was surprised when our room (room #3269) ended up being approx. 5 to 8 minutes of walking distance from the lobby. There was no straight route of getting there as the elevators did not go from the lobby anywhere near our 3rd floor room. We had to get off and walk a long long way. After walking that distance with our heavy luggage (it was about 108 degrees that day) we found our room to be in a very dark corridor, so dark it was difficult to unlock the door. I was still optimistic that the room itself would make up for the walk. I was very disappointed to find when I opened the door to the patio that my long anticipated view was of desert scrub and we couldn't see anything at all beyond it. The room did not even have a coffee maker. Yes, it did have a small tv in the bathroom but a coffee maker would have been more appreciated since tv screen was so small you couldn't have viewed it from the tub anyway. The room was clean and I have no complaints on the staff of the hotel. They were very friendly to both of us. I just wish our visit would have been more of what I had hoped it to be. The grounds were so beautiful, I just regret not being able to enjoy their lovliness from our room instead of from the window of our car as we drove away.

• Stayed: May 2005
20  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed May 23, 2005

My husband and I were st Loews Ventana Canyon Resort for four days. We found nothing at all to complain about and much to cheer. Staff - from the front desk to the bell attendant to waiters - were unfailingly efficient, polite, friendly...remembered our names and our favorite NBA team days later. The Flying V gave high quality food and service in a friendly, relaxed atmosphere with unsurpassed views. Poolside fare was tasty and reasonably priced. We enjoyed a tennis match one morning during the "organized tennis"...playing with a regular and a fellow tourist. We enjoyed hiking on the resort trails as well as a brief attempt to hike the more strenuous trail into the mountains behind the resort. (We are young senior citizens.) Quiet nights, beautiful views, courteous and friendly staff...we felt we got our money's worth! Highly recommend.

• Stayed: May 2005
9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 21, 2005

If you're going to Tucson, you definitely want to be staying in Ventana Canyon and you want to be at Loews. The rest of Tucson looks like El Centro. Ventana Canyon is the country club/yupee area. Very nice. As for Loews, we confirmed what a couple of reviewers mentioned and found a new twist also.
The canyon view rooms have a view of the canyon alright, like about 10' from your rear balcony. You are smack up against the hill. Can't see anything but dirt. We got up graded to a 3rd floor direct view of the waterfall, much nicer.
By the way, the waterful runs courtesy of a recirculating pump, the pvc pipe of which you can see running across the hillside from the third floor. When there are special events, forget about parking. It is first come, first served. One night we had to park on the street-- a quarter of a mile from our room--then head back out around 11:00 pm to move to more standard parking. Guests have no special parking privileges. Got a surprise when we checked out: We got dinged $20/hour for tennis. Ouch! With a room that cost $320/day, you must be kidding. All of that said, the only thing that makes Tucson worth traveling to is this beautiful resort and Ventana Canyon.

• Stayed: April 2005
11  Thank LARRY-and-SHOSHANNA
gilbert, az
Reviewed May 10, 2005

nice location, but wayyy overprice. we stay at the Ventana suite
clean, good room but not for $600.00 a night. not happy at all with
acomedations..........
food was ok at best - definite not going back!

• Stayed: May 2005, traveled on business
10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 10, 2005

Stayed ther last year, very nice ,clean and comfortable rooms.

2  Thank holtmanfiyak