“a room with a view??????”

Loews Ventana Canyon Resort
Ranked #7 of 130 Hotels in Tucson
GreenLeadersBronze level
A TripAdvisor Member
“a room with a view??????”
Reviewed May 29, 2005

When I booked the Loews Ventana Canyon Resort almost 6 months ago I was hoping for something special for my 10 year anniversary with my husband. I had requested a room with a view of a "grass or desert landscape view" since my husband loved the desert. I had booked this under an AARP rate and was surprised when our room (room #3269) ended up being approx. 5 to 8 minutes of walking distance from the lobby. There was no straight route of getting there as the elevators did not go from the lobby anywhere near our 3rd floor room. We had to get off and walk a long long way. After walking that distance with our heavy luggage (it was about 108 degrees that day) we found our room to be in a very dark corridor, so dark it was difficult to unlock the door. I was still optimistic that the room itself would make up for the walk. I was very disappointed to find when I opened the door to the patio that my long anticipated view was of desert scrub and we couldn't see anything at all beyond it. The room did not even have a coffee maker. Yes, it did have a small tv in the bathroom but a coffee maker would have been more appreciated since tv screen was so small you couldn't have viewed it from the tub anyway. The room was clean and I have no complaints on the staff of the hotel. They were very friendly to both of us. I just wish our visit would have been more of what I had hoped it to be. The grounds were so beautiful, I just regret not being able to enjoy their lovliness from our room instead of from the window of our car as we drove away.

• Stayed May 2005
20 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (742)
Reviewed May 23, 2005

My husband and I were st Loews Ventana Canyon Resort for four days. We found nothing at all to complain about and much to cheer. Staff - from the front desk to the bell attendant to waiters - were unfailingly efficient, polite, friendly...remembered our names and our favorite NBA team days later. The Flying V gave high quality food and service in a friendly, relaxed atmosphere with unsurpassed views. Poolside fare was tasty and reasonably priced. We enjoyed a tennis match one morning during the "organized tennis"...playing with a regular and a fellow tourist. We enjoyed hiking on the resort trails as well as a brief attempt to hike the more strenuous trail into the mountains behind the resort. (We are young senior citizens.) Quiet nights, beautiful views, courteous and friendly staff...we felt we got our money's worth! Highly recommend.

• Stayed May 2005
9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Temecula, California
Reviewed May 21, 2005

If you're going to Tucson, you definitely want to be staying in Ventana Canyon and you want to be at Loews. The rest of Tucson looks like El Centro. Ventana Canyon is the country club/yupee area. Very nice. As for Loews, we confirmed what a couple of reviewers mentioned and found a new twist also.
The canyon view rooms have a view of the canyon alright, like about 10' from your rear balcony. You are smack up against the hill. Can't see anything but dirt. We got up graded to a 3rd floor direct view of the waterfall, much nicer.
By the way, the waterful runs courtesy of a recirculating pump, the pvc pipe of which you can see running across the hillside from the third floor. When there are special events, forget about parking. It is first come, first served. One night we had to park on the street-- a quarter of a mile from our room--then head back out around 11:00 pm to move to more standard parking. Guests have no special parking privileges. Got a surprise when we checked out: We got dinged $20/hour for tennis. Ouch! With a room that cost $320/day, you must be kidding. All of that said, the only thing that makes Tucson worth traveling to is this beautiful resort and Ventana Canyon.

11 Thank LARRY-and-SHOSHANNA
Reviewed May 10, 2005

nice location, but wayyy overprice. we stay at the Ventana suite
clean, good room but not for $600.00 a night. not happy at all with
acomedations..........
food was ok at best - definite not going back!

• Stayed May 2005, traveled on business
10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Bridgeport, MI
Reviewed May 10, 2005

Stayed ther last year, very nice ,clean and comfortable rooms.

2 Thank holtmanfiyak
New York
Reviewed May 2, 2005

Just got back from a week long vacation in Tucson. We have been fortunate enough to have stayed at many 4 and 5 star properties as my boyfriend is a corporate travel agent and we get some great perks. I have never written a review of a hotel before this one and what prompted me was the lobby bar situation at the Loews Ventana Canyon Resort. Let me start with our check-in. We had requested an early check-in but understandably, it sometimes cannot be accommodated as was the case this time. We did have to keep checking each half hour to see if the room was ready. We also were a little grumpy from our very early morning flight so it seemed worse than it was. There were, in fact, quite a few people waiting for their "early check-in rooms". Anyway, our room was great. Clean, bright, view of the city, very close to the elevator and on the 4th floor (so nice view). The marble around the sink in our bathroom was cracked as mentioned earlier, and the bathtub was huge!!! I mean huge!!! The staff at this hotel was very cordial and friendly. The Concierge was the absolute best. Very helpful. Now to the Lobby bar. I think being non-smokers living in a state that has banned smoking from all public places (even bars) has spoiled us. The lobby is attached to the lobby lounge/bar area. A very nice looking comfortable area with a big fireplace in the center. The problem for us was that they allowed smoking in there and at night the entire lobby wreaked of cigar and cigarette smoke. In the early morning you sould still smell the stale smoke lingering. We never sat in there. In fact, we actually went to other resorts to have a cocktail before or after dinner. It was really a shame. They do have 2 pools, but the second pool is kind of hidden behind the spa. It's not as appealing because it's surrounded by a huge iron fence but we were told it is very quiet. There are more good things about this hotel than bad, but I'm not sure I would stay here again unless they enclose the lobby bar. It bothered me that much!

7 Thank Midlmaz
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed April 11, 2005

Having graduated UA back in '98, a friend and I decided to "upgrade" instead of staying at a normal priced hotel. It was totally worth it. Everyone is very friendly and professional. Services like "turn-down" and free-water for hiking is greatly appreciated. We got a great deal on their direct website ($208), and were upgraded to a nicer room (nicer means "view") just for joining the Lowes hotel program online before arriving (you get other perks with that, too). The rooms were fantastic--- very clean and comfortable. The bathroom was beautiful and featured a large jacuzzi tub. Pool-area is beautiful and the pool itself is immaculate. We didn't eat there because having been "locals" for four years, we had our favorite restaurants to attend. I'd recommend leaving the resort for food- you'll gasp at how much they charge for guacamole at the pool, and it ain't fresh! Bring snacks with you and enjoy a wonderful Tucson retreat.

7 Thank Wildcat98