“Tuscon choices”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Carmichael, California
“Tuscon choices”
Reviewed March 6, 2014

For the price it was an acceptable room. The management did respond to comments I made on another survey for the Loews properties. I found that very admirable. They seemed sincere about their concern for customer satisfaction. This was not my first choice for properties in the area but it was available and located in a good area. The rooms while in need of a bit of upgrading were not bad. This is not a 5 star hotel and I didn't have unrealistic expectations. The lobby and common areas of the hotel are very dated and in great need of updating as is the entire property. The elevators are ancient and it is a long way from the elevator to many of the rooms. Getting around the property is confusing and I had trouble finding the check in counter. When I did locate it they didn't have the correct number of nights I had reserved. Luckily it was not an issue as they were not full and had plenty of rooms. Getting to my room was very confusing from the lobby and after 3 days there I still had trouble finding my way around. Room service I found excellent and the staff great. However the staff that should be welcoming you and helping you upon arrival were busy talking to each other and had a very unconcerned attitude when I checked in. don't expect to much and enjoy the location. I did find it clean.

Room Tip: Get something easy to find and close to an elevator!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Jewelsoftheworld
LVCRServiceDesk, Guest Relations Manager at Loews Ventana Canyon Resort, responded to this review, March 18, 2014
Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Loews Ventana Canyon on your recent visit to Tucson and for posting your TripAdvisor review! We appreciate you taking the time to share your comments with us and we will be sure to share them with our management as well. We are always looking to improve our hotel to further improve the experience our guests receive and appreciate feedback. Currently, we are in the process of updating each of our guestrooms as well as several other projects! Thank you again for sharing your feedback and we hope to welcome you back to Loews Ventana Canyon on your next trip to Tucson!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (743)
Short Hills, New Jersey
Reviewed March 5, 2014

Stayed again at this outstanding resort during President's Week which included Valentines Day. This property is very special and is in complete harmony with the surrounding mountains. We have children attending the University of Arizona and have stayed in other hotels in Tucson, but this resort is far superior to any of its competition. The staff is very friendly and go out of their way to make your stay enjoyable. The food is excellent and we highly recommend the Fying V restaurant. The Spa/Fitness center is wonderful and the two golf courses are championship quality. The views from the rooms in the front of the property are magnificent in the evening. We checked in Valentines Day and I called at the last minute to the in-house Florist, Ms. Kim, and she put together a spectacular floral arrangement that was waiting for us on arrival to the room. We look forward to returning over the Easter break.

Room Tip: Facing the front and the City of Tucson, preferably fourth floor.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank SHTraveler46819
Thank you so much for your incredible TripAdvisor review! We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us over President’s/Valentine’s Day and that Kim was able to really wow you with one of her AMAZING floral creations! Thank you again very much and we look forward to welcoming you back to Loews Ventana Canyon over Easter break!
Loveland, Colorado
Reviewed March 4, 2014

I want to let this first class resort know how much I appreciated our stay. It filled and exceeded all of our expectations and desires for a relaxing, pleasant get-away. The grounds are immaculate and peaceful. Our room was beautiful, spotless and comfortable. Our view from the patio was perfect. Unfortunately, my husband was not feeling well at all so he couldn't join
me at the pool, but again every need was met and the pool and whirlpool were wonderful.
Upon being asked how my day was going I mentioned I was disappointed that my husband
was sick and had to be in the room, to our surprise room service delivered a plate of fruit and bottled waters with a note that they hoped he would feel better soon and the offer to be of any
further service if we needed them. I was extremely disappointed to have to cut our stay short
a day because of my husbands illness, but I easily give this resort 5 stars and hope to return
again for a FULL stay. Thank you for your great hospitality.
Almost forgot to recommend the hike that starts right from the adjoining parking lot. It is a
wonderful hike of the canyon. The colors, birds, etc. were outstanding!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
LVCRServiceDesk, Guest Relations Manager at Loews Ventana Canyon Resort, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
Wow! Thank you so very much for sharing your experience at Loews Ventana Canyon with us and others on TripAdvisor! Although we are sad to hear your husband was not able to fully enjoy his time here, we are so pleased that our staff was able to make his stay more comfortable! Thank you again for taking the time to share your comments! We will be sure to share your kind words with our entire staff and hope you are able to return soon for another visit to experience Loews Ventana Canyon together!
Chicago, Illinois, United States
Reviewed March 3, 2014

I plan group events and recently had one of my groups at this property. It did not disappoint!
I was happy to hear many positive things from my group. The location is gorgeous, the golf course is excellent, there is a great hike (Ventana Canyon) on site, and the food is excellent. Especially at the Flying V. Rooms are spacious and comfortable, but I think if I were going to offer constructive criticism, I would say the bathrooms could be a bit brighter.

The staff at this hotel are friendlier than anywhere I've ever seen. This is a great place for families, couples or business because of its layout and all it has to offer. It is in the foothills, so note that if you want to go downtown you need a taxi or car because their shuttle does not go that far.

I went in a few days early and needed to use their salon services......just for the record they have a fabulous salon / spa staff. Dave, in particular, saved me.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Thank you very much for your TripAdvisor review and for choosing Loews Ventana Canyon for your recent group event! We love hearing back from guests and appreciate your comments. We are always looking to improve our hotel and will be sure to share your comments about the lights in the bathroom to our management as well as your kind words with Dave from the Lakeside Spa! Thank you again and we very much hope to have you and your groups back to Loews Ventana Canyon in the future!
Las Cruces, New Mexico
Reviewed March 1, 2014

Stayed here February 20-25. My wife and I have stayed here before and we were not disappointed this time either. First of all, Loews is a very welcoming place and the staff make you feel at home immediately upon your arrival. Staff acknowledge you when you pass them and offer help whenever they see you. It's a beautiful quiet resort with great views and the proximity to the ventana golf courses (Canyon and Mountain) makes it a must stay for anyone wanting to enjoy excellent golf. Additionally we ate breakfast a couple of times (buffet was excellent and reasonable) and dinner in the lounge area has the BEST burgers and margaritas! Also the resort is situated in an area where you can get to other restaurants easily should you want to. Do yourself a favor and give them a try!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Wow, thank you! Your TripAdvisor review from your recent stay at Loews Ventana Canyon was wonderful! We love hearing from our guests and are so pleased to hear your enjoyed your stay with us! The burger & sliders in the Cascade Lounge are excellent and we continue to receive numerous TripAdvisor comments on how delicious they are! We will be sure to share your kind words with our culinary team and hope you and your wife will visit us again very soon!
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed February 28, 2014

The positives are many....... great location, staff, restaurants, pool, golf courses, and Sonora desert trail. We travelled with a pet and stayed at the property twice in the last couple of weeks. Very pet friendly, on both occasions a pet goody bag arrived within 5 minutes of settling in our rooms. Both rooms were virtually identical, and well being well appointed and clean they have meet their useful life in terms of styling and are due for an update (granted they were "pet friendly" rooms. Food within the property was a pleasant surprise........ definitely would return!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
LVCRServiceDesk, Guest Relations Manager at Loews Ventana Canyon Resort, responded to this review, April 15, 2014
Thank you very much for your TripAdvisor review and for returning to stay with us at Loews Ventana Canyon! We are currently in the processing of updating our guestrooms and expect to have all the rooms updated by the end of the year, including our pet rooms! We appreciate you taking the time to share your comments from your most recent stay with us and look forward to welcoming you and your pet back again very soon!
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed February 27, 2014

If you're a one stop stayer and want to check into the Loews you may enjoy it's location. We are very busy people and were hopping around to different parks and hiking trails each day, as well as restaurants all over town so for us staying there was probably a little less important and for that reason I rate it as fairly expensive. For 4 nights we paid $987.00. Which included a $20.00 resort fee which frankly just wasn't worth it. It provided you with internet, an hours use of tennis each day if coursts were available (frankly I never saw anyone play tennis at all so they were always available). You can self park so it doesn't pay for valet either. Now if you want to hike straight from the back of the hotel there's a fairly good hiking trail. It's a little more intense than some of them. Definitely you need to watch where you foot is being placed and not gaze around too much while walking or you'll trip and fall over the rocks. Pool was nice, didn't eat at restaurants as they were very pricey compared with very nice and neighboring restaurants that were available. Rooms were clean, maids did a good job. Tub is the biggest tub I've ever seen. Two full size people could sit side by side in it. Doesn't have any jets in it though so it's not a whirlpool tub. But if you were on a honeymoon you might enjoy it. Me I just kind of felt sorry for the maids that had to clean it because it probably felt to them like cleaning a small swimming pool. Ha! I will definitely go back to Tucson and if you're lifestyle demands a high end resort you will like this one, however again we're on the go people so most likely will stay somewhere cheaper since we do most things off-site anyway. Grounds were pretty though and their somewhat aided waterfall at the back of the walking path is pretty. Poolside bar had reasonablly priced drinks. It is pet friendly and as a pet owner I I think that's nice and then not. If I was to take my dog I'd think it nice, since I didn't you sometimes wonder if you should look around a bit and make sure you don't find any fleas or urine smells when you check into your room. Which by the way we never did so either pet friendly rooms are kept in another area or they are just that good at keeping things spotless. I do think the pet rooms were probably on the ends of the building which had walkout patios into grassy areas most likely. Didn't golf but if you did there's a pretty gold course with narrow fairways right at the resort. $149.00 daily rate before noon to play and $99.00 rate after 12:00. Visitors can only play one of the two courses however as the other is private country club. Didn't see all that many golfers on it.

Room Tip: We had ground floor desert/mountain view. I liked it because I'm very much into nature. Husban...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank DebsOpinion2012
Thank you for posting a TripAdvisor review from your recent stay with us at Loews Ventana Canyon. We value the feedback we receive from our guests and appreciate you taking the time to share your comments with us! It sounds like you had a very nice visit to Tucson and were able to experience the beautiful surroundings! Thank you again and we hope you will stay with us again the next time you are in Tucson!