New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Loews Ventana Canyon Resort
Ranked #6 of 130 Hotels in Tucson
GreenLeadersBronze level
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
“Alisha in the Cascade Lounge”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

My husband and I went to the Cascade Lounge for drinks and to listen to the marvelous music of Mike Levy and Doug Martin. As always, this duo was exceptional and so joyful to listen to - they are very talented. At the same time, Alisha was our server, and she was exceptional as well! Very friendly and professional. We had a lovely time and thoroughly enjoyed the pleasant atmosphere, incredible music and prompt service.

• 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (677)
Encino, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013 via mobile

Our second stay was just as good as the first. The staff is wonderful and the room was great! It is quite a drive from the highway, but it's a great value for a luxury getaway. I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed July 2013
Scottsdale, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

Awesome location on the foothills of the Catalina Mountains. Friendly staff and just an overall wonderful experience. We live in Scottsdale Arizona and plan to stay here on our visits to the Tucson area. Concierge Victoria was warm and friendly and we had the honor of meeting Executive Chef Ken Harvey and Pastry Chef Krista Owens. We experienced a wonderful meal prepared with locally grown Sonoran Desert ingredients (Prickly Pear, Cactus Seed, etc.). Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

flying V Bar and Grill closed at 7pm?? supossed to be open until 9pm. had to eat at the bar which had poor choices on the menue. I didnt get napkin and silverwere unti i asked for it halfway thru my meal. second day i went to the breakfast and juice bar. it took three times to get cofee order right then when breakfast came items wer missing side orders hardly saw the waitress. when i did see her as she brought the bill i told her to remove the side dish because we never got it. She left for 15 minutes and finally came back with a corrected bill. The abiance of the hotel is wonderfull. Just dont eat there

• Stayed September 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
Tucson, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

I am starting this review before I have even stepped foot on their property. I live in Tucson and my husband and I are going up tomorrow for a BBQ dinner. Since the resort is a ways from our house we decided to splurge and stay the night. Tucson, goes out, not up as a city. I find it difficult to believe that with the size of the resort they feel the need to charge me $9 to park each vehicle I am bringing. Since my husband and I are going up straight after work....this will be $18 to park our cars. Next up...the next day is Friday and my husband wanted to use the gym before heading to work. I called last night and yep, they have a gym. But it costs more. $10 to use their gym. Cha-ching. I called this morning to see if the rooms have mini-fridges. The woman who answered said they did not, but I could ask for one at no extra charge. I did this. So, all this being said....I will finish this review after I have spent the night.
So, we checked in and there was no fridge in our room. Someone brought one but it didn't matter. It took hours for it to be chilled, so that was pointless. Also, we now have to tip the guy. I mean, he just picked up a mini-fridge and deposited it in our room.
The room was nice. Off season $99 nice....I'm not sure what they charge for it on season. The shower had nice pressure and the bed was comfy.
The bbq dinner was fantastic, service in the restaurant was very attentive. Service in the bar area in the lounge was very attentive and friendly as well.
We went swimming after dinner and the pool area was a disaster. There were dirty glasses, plates towels everywhere. I did manage to find 2 clean dry towels though and we had the pool to ourselves for a little while.
They ended up not charging us the $9 per vehicle for parking. I don't know if this was a mistake or a gift.
My husband didn't try to use the gym, so not sure about that one.
The grounds are beautiful. I'm sure most people who stay here will enjoy themselves.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank wanttotravelmore123
Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

We spent a week here during the off season. Rates were great, we had the pool to ourselves, the entire place was quiet and relaxing.
Despite a near empty resort, the service was top notch and we noticed no lack of amenities. I had expected some cut backs due to low volume of people there but we did not notice any.
It is a really beautiful resort!
Disadvantage....it is pretty far out of town but we found that to be a bonus and really, everything you need is at the resort.

Room Tip: Out window faced the pool. We were not right by the pool but it faced that direction. The first ni...
Nogales, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

As part-time travel agents, we've been noting the trend toward 'staycations" or vacations within a few hours from home (We live about 1.5 hours away). Given the complications of air travel these days, busy folks like us are often preferring this option of frequent vs. longer, far-away vacations. Loews "gets" this, and we have experienced few other resorts who do it so well (And we DO look for them!)

In contrast to many upper end resorts which are ghost towns during Holiday weekends, this place was buzzing. They have all kinds of activities for kids, but being "active seniors" we preferred the hiking trails (the Ventana Canyon trail just a few feet from their parking lot is awesome), innovative food (love those fried avocado appetizers!) and wonderful waterfall walkway (plus new turtle and butterfly sanctuary!) Special bonus was the Saturday night fireworks show!

Special kudos to Jeff , Bellman, so accommodating; all front desk staff for their always friendly and excellent service, and the lovely servers in the Lobby Bar, always so gracious and elegant.

In any industry where there is so much mediocrity in the name of hospitality, this beautiful Resort stands above the rest. We will continue to take our monthly 1-2-day, refreshing staycations right there.

Love you, Loews!

Room Tip: We prefer the East side