“Nice stay, excellent staff, spotty wireless” 4 of 5 bubbles

Loews Ventana Canyon Resort
Ranked #5 of 128 Hotels in Tucson
GreenLeadersBronze level
Philomath, Oregon
“Nice stay, excellent staff, spotty wireless”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2012

I was just here for a conference and overall, this was great. The wireless internet had some issues, but the hotel made up for it by giving us one hour of free margaritas at the banquet. How many can you drink in an hour :0 - the location was gorgeous and I set my alarm extra early one morning to hike Ventana Canyon before the conference day started. Breathtaking sunrise! The staff was attentive and upon check in when the King bed I requested was not available they upgraded me to a luxury for no charge. This was really a spectacular place and if I was to come here for a vacation (and I would love to), the wireless would not be an issue. It only was this time because it was a work trip.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (723)
Halifax, Nova Scotia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2012

I was in Tucson for a business meeting and truthfully won the hotel bidding on Priceline just needing a place to stay. They graciously allowed me to use my Loews loyalty membership to receive free parking and internet. They also upgraded me to a deluxe desert view room. Obviously the staff is excellent. The grounds are beautiful and I walked them each morning - including the second night I extended for instead of heading back to Phoenix as I had planned. There is lots to do in Tucson (Sabino Canyon is less than 5 minutes away) and shopping close by. I enjoyed my stay more than I expected and a large part of that was due to the resort exceeding my expectations.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Orange County, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2012

I booked this hotel early in summer- planning for the big "50" - and like another reviewer, would live here if i could...
I want these people to know me, remember me, and i want to always feel so welcomed and assisted as if i was the only client/customer/guest that existed...because that is the way i was treated during my stay.
Thankfully this teacher (me) is appreciated in TUCSON with a special program that allowed me to afford an average room at this above average resort, so off the beaten track, there really IS no reason to leave.
Curtis, upon check-in, helped me upgrade my room ( i also had enrolled in their "youfirst" program before arriving), and for less than half the going rate, i received a luxury king suite. Mind you, this is the most expensive room i have EVER paid for/stayed in, in my life- here or abroad (Europe) - and it so makes the grade (pun intended!).

The room was far west, carved into the foothill, not feeling high up with desert view, and although a small trek back to the lobby and restaurants, not so much you need to leave a trail of breadcrumbs, it was superb!

A separate room with pull out couch, for my friend of almost 30 yrs to have his own space, a balcony with doors from the living area and master bedroom -king/chaise/fireplace- and a shower to die for...the BEST shower i have ever had, hot water, pressure, and choice of locales (separate shower and jacuzzi tub/shower) - i plan to return a few times/year.

Already going to book this for my mom's annual December visit when we leave the PHX valley to explore Tucson/Bisbee for a few days.

Bought some things in the Resort Shop - a kitschy blue silicone swatch and coin purse - sampled the margaritas across their spectrum (skip room service, comes from the pool bar if too early for lounge, and so NOT worth it), and love the staff, concierge, and registration personnel.

Treating myself to a first ever mani/pedi, also on "special" for what i can afford (with gratuity) - i really do feel pampered and envy the lifestyle those who frequent this Loews.

I worked for an OMNI in Jacksonville FL, and the Loew's in Coronado, CA over 20 yrs ago -it's nice to know they still hire quality staff - and they make everyone feel special.

Pretty sure the folks here have made my fudge/biscotti holiday list and am glad that in DEC i hope i can make them feel special with my homemade "thank-you."

I want/plan to make this my treat, a few times per year...OH! and lest i forget the key selling point to this childless-by-choice married woman - the Spa has its own pool/jacuzzi which is only for 18 and up, no kids. As a high school teacher who loves her job, this helps me forget who i am for a little while, and truly relax, with peace, and quiet.

And yes, there is a very nice pool with bar/restaurant access - and the Canyon Cafe for breakfast is also a treat and very gracious. The Cascade Lounge looks very nice, but too open and impersonal for me. Choose the FLYING V instead, enjoy the running water, and outside seating, much cozier - great food and staff to accommodate your tastes.

Well worth the splurge. thanks, Loews Ventana Canyon.

Room Tip: Join their program, tip well ESPECIALLY if you received ANY discount, these people work hard and ear...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
New Brunswick, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2012

Stayed 3 nights and had a great time. Played golf every day on the Mt. course which is beautiful and just the right challange for a guy who is feeling good if he breaks 90.The food is good and the Sun. brunch is as good as any Atlantic City casino I have ever been in.The hot tub pool is a welcome pleasure after a golf game. Would like to highlight our waiter,Mr. Kyle Peppe, who was unflaggingly courteous and attentive and whose local knowledge was greatly appreciated.Yes, make sure you ask for a king sized bed if needed.Anyone who has nits to pick about this place should just stay home. I would live there if I could.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Bill S
Phoenix, Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2012

Attended a business retreat for 3 days 3 nights here with my wife. Arrived in evening and check-in very efficient. They didn't have a King size bed like we had reserved so they upgraded us to luxury room and I'm glad they did. Though you could hear through the walls, we must have been blessed with quiet neighbors as we did not hear a peep at night. Pool area just average. Built on a hillside overlooking Tucson you can get wonderful views at night of the city and from the observatory tower great Arizona sunsets. Architecture reminded me of the Biltmore Hotel in Phoenix. The meeting room was adequate for our business needs and the food served (2 breakfasts 2 lunches and 1 dinner) was all very good and others in the group felt the same. Wifi connection was very poor and the hotel offered no complimentary computer to check email. A charge of $7.50 per short time span (I didn't sign up and went without for the duration). The bed comfort was just average and the room furnishings were showing the wear and tear of their years. The Sunday breakfast buffet was very good and reasonably priced for what you get. If we stayed again in Tucson I probably would look long and hard at other upper echelon properties in Tucson. Not a bad stay, but not a wow one either. Check out those stars at night-- Tucson is astronomy capital of the west. Hotel offered a telescope w/astronomer at night near the pool and that was worth a gander.

Room Tip: Upper levels and towards the mountain--I believe they refer to them as luxury upgrades are quieter w...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Studio69
MarkingGuy, Director of Sales at Loews Ventana Canyon Resort, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
Appreciate your comments and your business regarding your recent retreat at Loews Ventana Canyon. Happy to hear you found the food quality and the setting enjoyable, and I am delighted you discovered our professional astronomer. I am passing along your constructive comments as well. Even if you may look long and hard, we hope you will be our guest again in the future.
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2012

Beautiful grounds, great staff, fun entertainment, free tram to great local hiking. I would recommend this resort to everyone - families, singles, or couples. My wife and I went with our two adult daughters and had a fantastic time. Play, exercise, hike or just relax, it is all here for you and the staff is friendly and helpful!!

We can’t say enough good things about our visit!

Room Tip: There are no bad rooms - book and enjoy! You can get wilderness views or city views - just tell th...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
MarkingGuy, Director of Sales at Loews Ventana Canyon Resort, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Thank you very much for your comments. We are so glad you and your family enjoyed your stay at Ventana Canyon, and that you discovered our hiking trails. Please come back again, with or without your grown daughters. I am sharing your kind comments with the staff as well.
Tucson, Arizona
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

I never write reviews, I always read and go by the rating. My husband and I visited this hotel with our 4 month old, we were suppose to stay 2 nights and ended up leaving a day early. We got the most expensive room with a spectacular view. That was the only great thing about it. We found a huge roach in our room, two spiders, and another small bug. I live in Tucson, AZ. I totally understand bugs getting into the room. But come on. 4.5 star hotel should not have bugs in the room. They should be cleaning it better. I'm a complete clean freak!! What if my baby got bit by one of those spiders. Then to top it off, our room smelt like cigarette and from the time we entered the room, until we checked out, we had allergies so bad. Sneezing and blowing our noses. It was disgusting. Who knows what they don't clean. I am so disappointed in spending my money on this room. Front desk apologized, charged, and let us on our way. Every women there had an attitude. They told us that there were no pets allowed in that room, but we have a dog, I know what dog hair looks like. Do your research before you stay here.

Room Tip: Upper levels are quieter.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank srmccar22
Thank you for your feedback and I am so sorry about your experience. We are committed to cleanliness standards and have several levels of housekeeping and inspections in place to ensure that guest rooms and public areas are clean. Clearly, we did not meet your expections. I have shared your comments with key management and hope that you will give us another try in the future.