“Better than a Disney Cruise”

Loews Ventana Canyon Resort
Ranked #5 of 128 Hotels in Tucson
GreenLeadersBronze level
Gilbert, Arizona
“Better than a Disney Cruise”
Reviewed July 8, 2012

My family wanted to get out of Phoenix for a day, so I booked a night at Lowes Ventana Canyon Resort through an online booking service. I had such a bad experience with the last hotel that I booked through this company, that I didn't expect much when I asked to be upgraded from a single King to a double full. To my surprise, I was treated with hospitality and was told that it would be no problem. Our room was BEAUTIFUL and so CLEAN! It was much bigger than I anticipated and the bathtub was HUGE. We were mostly there to enjoy the pool, but our family was delighted to find out that the resort provides a wide variety of activities for children and adults. In the evenings, the resort offered a poolside movie, with complimentary popcorn, soda, and smores. And while the day time activities included kids camps and tennis lessons for a fee, the resort also offered complimentary sno cones, mini smoothies, frozen grape kabobs, and cool wash clothes, while lounging around at the pool. They also had the AZ Sonaran Desert Museum bring in animals for the children and contracted a company to bring in a giant inflatable water slide. The resort also backs up to the Santa Catalina Mountains, where you can find a variety of hiking trails. I knew when my daughter told me that she would rather come back and stay at this resort than go on another Disney Cruise, that we were all very pleased with our accommodations.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Crisjn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (734)
Newark, Delaware
Reviewed July 8, 2012

A friend and I recently vacationed in Tucson, AZ, where we stayed at the Loews Ventana Canyon Resort. When we arrived, the front desk told us that they had complimentarily upgraded our room. We had a beautiful view and the staff was extremely attentive. The food at the resort was great and we loved our spa experience. While there is a daily charge for the use of the facility, they waved the charge each day we had a spa treatment. There were enough cardiovascular machines (treadmills, etc.) so that there was no waiting for equipment. To our delight, they had yoga classes, which we were able to attend. The staff made sure that the fresh iced water with cucumbers was readily available in the gym and that the fresh iced water with lemons and oranges and a bowl full of assorted apples were ready and available in the relaxation room at the spa. Every detail was given thorough attention and we were very pleased with our stay. We are considering staying at Loews when we visit San Diego. It was an excellent experience and I would definitely go back again!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Arizona
Reviewed July 8, 2012

It is possible to enjoy 100+ degree heat when staying at Loews Ventana Canyon Resort. Excellent, attentive staff with a wonderful spa and fitness center, Loews is a great place to stay. With on-site restaurants that cater to your every need, even making you a meal that is not listed on the menu, we truly had a wonderful stay. Summer time is the best time to visit, since that is when they offer the best deals. During Fourth of July be sure to enjoy the Stars and Stripes red velvet pancakes!

Room Tip: Stay on an upper floor in the west wing to enjoy beautiful canyon views and city views.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Tucson, Arizona, United States
Reviewed July 6, 2012

This place has it all!!! Great beds great rooms great views great EVERYTHING... The price was also the best I could find this 5star even beat out 4 stars in price and has so much more to offer!!! 24/7 service i dont know why people wouldn't stay here!!!!! The best in Tucson :)..... I didn't go to the spa but I am sure is it great.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Uijeongbu, South Korea
Reviewed July 6, 2012 via mobile

Wonderful place to relax at the poolside. Nice walking trail to the waterfall. Excellent breakfast, lunch, and dinner selection at the hotel. Accommodates dogs. Also has a great golf course next to the hotel.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank jaggeddude
United States
Reviewed July 5, 2012

If this hotel was advertised as say a motel, then it would have received maybe 2 stars. But for a Lowes, this hotel is far far below what you would expect.

Check in: be prepared to stand in line for 20-30 mins minimum and have your check in person repeatedly answer the phone while checking you in. Not a friendly check in, it was like I was annoying them by breathing.

Room: the room was dusty, the clock had the wrong time, the bathroom was disgusting. the bed is far from comfortable - it felt at least 10+ years old.

The resort itself is dated and the service is really really poor. Our room never got cleaned the first day. I tried calling to get more shampoo, and was repeatedly hung up on or put on hold.

Don't stay here if you want a "nice" weekend away. I've stayed in motels that are cleaner and more comfortable than this hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed July 5, 2012

We came down here from Scottsdale just for long week-end. It was my first Loews hotel experience and it will not be my last.
The room was awesome, large and spacious, with a sitting area. The bathroom was awesome. The bath was so tempting, I even had a bath, something I have never done in a hotel, but it was the size a of spa and I just could not resist. We had a beautiful terrace overlooking the 18th hole of the golf course and then on to downtown Tuscon - it was just lovely.

We ate both nights in the restaurant/bar area - it was so good the first night, we went back again - the food was delightful and service was great - we really did not want to go anywhere else.

During the day we hung out at the adults only pool - a nice secret area, which was quiet and restful. Also had a massage which was special.

For lunch we ate at the pool restaurant - the food was good again - service a bit slower.

We will be back anytime we need a break down in Tucson. The hotel is set in a lovely canyon area and there are little hikes around the property.

Room Tip: We were very happy with the terraced room on the top floor overlooking downtown Tucson
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple