“A really nice family resort in the Santa Catalina foothills.”

Loews Ventana Canyon Resort
Ranked #7 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed April 7, 2012

Having gone to college in Tucson I have a warm spot for the city and have stayed at Loews Ventana Canyon Resort two times in successive years now. The location of this large resort is fabulous at the edge of the city in the foothills and yet there are plenty of restaurants and other ameniteis close by if you decide to leave the property. I chose to have a mountain view both stays as I love the Sonoran desert and selected that view from my room rather than a city view, but I know that's quite lovely too. The resort has plenty of things to do like golf and tennis and they also have fun things like guided star gazing and outdoor movies. I happened to be there during spring break and the resort was packed and despite the full house, I was amazed at how attentive the staff was from the top down. I was particularly bowled over by the hard working "blue shirts" around the pool and Bill's Grill. These young men worked their tails of all day long and went to any length to please. Assistant Manager Nick Auckland also took great strides to see that things went smoothly during my stay too. I'm eager to return to Tucson again next year and have no doubt I'll stay again at this fine resort.

Stayed: April 2012
2  Thank Farandfine
Write a ReviewReviews (2,909)

Reviewed April 5, 2012

The Loews did a very nice job and is a place I would return to. The service was attentive and the people outgoing. They were genuinely friendly and eager to help/ serve. Utilize the concierge desk as they really know the area and have lots of activity ideas. I was on a work event, so we had group meals...and they were good. Many conference hotels fall short in the food department, but it seems to be something that Loews takes seriously. The rooms are nicely appointed and have patios to enjoy when the weather is good. I appreciate having a screen door to let the breeze in and keep bugs out. My one quibble with the room is the odd half door on the showers...to me it lets in too much cold air. The grounds are beautiful with flowers and desert plants all around. I didn't use the pool, but it looked nice. The spa was fine but not over the top luxurious. I had a good massage therapist that knew how to adjust to what I wanted. This hotel is also near some fine hiking trails in the Catalina mountains. Overall a great stay.

Room Tip: This is a "long" hotel. Some rooms are a 3-4 minute walk from the elevators. If you have m...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed April 2, 2012

Pros:

Flying V - very good
Smores in the evening
Comfortable clean room
Kids loved feeding the Koi
Short hiking trail was nice
Kids loved the pool

Cons
Flying V hard to get into and other restaurant was not nearly as good
Pool service was very understaffed (despite the pool not being overly crowded).
Except for the nearby canyon, a bit removed form other sights.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
MarkingGuy, Director of Sales at Loews Ventana Canyon Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2012

Dear Richard,

Thank you for staying recently at Loews Ventana Canyon and for your comments.

So glad that your family enjoyed the resort, Koi and the hiking. We strive to provide outstanding customer service and it sounds like a busy pool did not provide that level of service for you. I have shared your comments with our team.

Hope to see you here next time you visit Tucson.

Reviewed March 31, 2012

We stayed for two nights recently at this property. Overall, some positives include:
cleanliness (rooms were very well maintained), lots of scheduled activities and things to do on property including walking trail, pool activities, etc. The scenery surrounding the property is beautiful. Lots of great views! The rooms were very spacious. We had a standard king room. The bathroom was very nice. The shower was huge! Room service is available...although our food wasn't that great. We golfed one afternoon and the course is amazing but pricey ($99 for 18 holes, plus $35 for rental clubs)! It would have been nice to have some sort of discount for guests staying on the property. Also, there are a lot of amenities on the property including a spa, salon, golfing, pool and restaurant options.
Now somethings we weren't too impressed by: We ate a few breakfasts and lunches at the Canyon Cafe...we were able to sit outside which was lovely but the service was very slow! Also, it seemed other guests were getting treated better than we were for some reason. The breakfast buffet had some nice options. Another negative is the layout of the property makes it difficult to get to your room depending on where you are located. Lots of walking around the building instead of having a direct way to get quickly to your room. Finally, our biggest complaint is the price of things...the food was WAY overpriced on the property for what you get and the poor service to go along with it. For an upscale resort the appearance and personality of the workers is a bit sloppy. After we checked in and got all the way around to our room, we realized the front desk attendant forgot to give us our room number so we had to drive back around and ask for it. There is also no free wi-fi available in the room. Its super expensive to get too! There is free wi-fi in the lobby. Overall, go for the views but be prepared to pay for it!

Room Tip: If you are not able to walk easily around the property ask for a room closer to the lobby.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Dianna,

Thank you for your recent stay at Ventana Canyon.

We appreciate your business and your feedback on the resort. You describe well some of the amenities of the resort, golf, spa, great views - thank you. We also strive to provide great service and it sounds like that was not your experience with the service level at the restaurant. I will share your comments with our team, so we can improve.

Hope to see you again, soon.

Reviewed March 27, 2012

Deluxe King Room was spacious with a small private patio and a huge bathtub (if you want company.) The large comfy open lobby/lounge is more than adequate for guests to access free internet service since room charge is $10/day We have stayed at hotels that advertise "pet friendly" but really aren't, but this hotel lives up to its policy allowing dogs just about everywhere inside that does not serve food. If you do not want to look at the parking lot, ask for a mountain view room. Although, a room on the 3rd or 4th floor has a nice city view which puts you above the parking lot

Room Tip: Mountain view to avoid looking at parking lot.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank serenity033
Reviewed March 27, 2012

Gorgeous hotel, comfortable beds, amazing views. It's pricey, but worth it. Near Ventana Canyon, which you can walk to for a hike and there's a jogging trail on the property. Flying V restaurant on site is delicious, but expensive.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
MarkingGuy, Director of Sales at Loews Ventana Canyon Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2012

Dear Sunny,

Thank you for choosing Ventana Canyon. "Pricey but worth it", I may quote you on that. Seriously, hope you found value for every dollar spent.

Come back and see us soon.

Reviewed March 26, 2012

I must say, this is a magical spot in the Sonoran desert, surrounded by majestic mountains, and why are all the staff members so darn...well...happy? The environment I suppose! It gave us a really refreshing perspective, coming from the Midwest cold.
My mom and I were greeted by a beautiful cheese plate + Mark West Pinot Noir
upon our arrival. Nice touch (I'm a YouFirst Rewards Program member (free!) so I recommend that!)
We had light bites & some wine ... in the Cascade Lounge listening to some relaxing live music
(but it was the Spinach Salad with beets and honeyed nuts that truly rocked!!)
I worked out at the fitness center the next morning. Highly recommend the guest pass. Panoramic views of the mountains as you sweat (which I did! Thank you!)
Perfectly poached eggs and spinach from Canyon Cafe afterward. Really.
And PERFECTLY/hard poached isn't easy!!
Little shopping at the nearby La Encantada where I found some great sunscreen (for an afternoon day by one of the 3 pools! Check out the private one by the Lakeside Spa for a more quiet intimate moment)
During our walk back to our room later in the day, I think every staff member smiled and greeted us. Okay, maybe one person was too busy picking up towels or serving another guest. Anyway, that kind of happiness never happens during March in Chicago! Ha!
There was a party by the pool and a guacamole contest going on!
We needed to rest up, however; we didn't want to miss the 8:30pm stargazing with pro astronomer.
I'll be back, for sure!
Really recommend that YouFirst Rewards Program. I hear every room has a private balcony. Not bad.

Room Tip: You can choose a city view (night lights in Tucson are lovely) Or mountain view ...one of Tucson...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family