“Excellent Experience for a Couples Retreat or Family Getaway”

Loews Ventana Canyon Resort
Ranked #7 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed June 30, 2011

Our stay at the resort was fabulous! We took advantage of a daily deal, and decided to extend the weekend which an add't nights stay (very reasonable). The staff was welcoming, especially Loedan (misspelled?) at the front desk. He helped to ensure that we were not charged an incidental fee twice due to our separate accommodations. We stayed on the 4th floor towards the end of the resort which was very private (spacious room, oversized tub, intimate sitting area(s) on our balcony and the trails), and although the pool area was crowded we found it very peaceful down in the grassy sitting area. In addition, I had read previous ratings (pricey restaurant) and decided beforehand that we'd go into town to eat (Zin Burger, The Egg Connection****, La Entranada Mall, etc.) which was 10 - 20 min away. We did eat at the Flying V the first night, but there was not much of a selection so I was rather disappointed as the Chicken Ques was $14. However, the next day we went into town and bought our favorite wine, fruit, cheese, and summer sausage and enjoyed them out near the grassy sitting area and in our room. Highly suggest doing this!

The hotel was crowded due to a 'couples retreat' and 'Iron Chef' event. We even talked about how many of the couples were there for a structured couples retreat, and although we were in no way affiliated with the retreat. We felt that the ambiance of the resort only was all any couple needed. My only suggestion, is that the Iron Chef event was not mentioned, and it was only after stumbling upon it that we found it. If we had known ahead of time we would have taken advantage of it. Never the less, we'll be back for another getaway as well as with our family. Loved it!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MammaTee
Write a ReviewReviews (2,911)

Reviewed June 27, 2011

I got a good deal for a weekend stay, but after my weekend, I don't think I would pay a lot more. My room was at the far end of the third floor and the carpet throughout the entire corridor was bubbling up, it was in desperate need of stretching and was a tripping hazzard. The room itself was clean and the bathtub was huge! I spent one day at the spa and would gladly pay the $10 a day to use the spa pool b/c the main pool was small and way overcrowded. The food at the poolside grill and Canyon Cafe was expensive and pretty average for the price. My biggest disappointment and reason alone for not returning is the lack of smoking area enforcement. The pool/outdoor area is not huge and both days I was there I had smokers within 5 feet of me -- even while I was dining outside at the Canyon Cafe. Several hotel employees walked by the guests who were smoking and said nothing. One hotel employee even stopped to chat with a couple who was smoking, not once mentioning there was a designated smoking area. I actually ended my meal early b/c of the smokers and went in to pay my check.

Room Tip: Family focused pool area
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
4  Thank mjs21
Reviewed June 20, 2011

This was a weekend retreat with some of our college friends. After 40+ years we have agreed to make these mini vacations a quarterly activity. You could not find a better place to relax then the Loews Resort in Tucson. 5 star all the way. Rooms, food, service and activities were all first class. Take this to the "Bank", you can't find a better place in Tucson. We will be back.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Hunter64Tucson
Reviewed June 19, 2011

We have stayed at Ventana Canyon several times and we always have a great experience. The rooms are spacious, modern and wonderful. We stayed in a city view room and the views are AMAZING. The balconies are very large which makes for a perfect spot to relax and enjoy the rooms. My daughter also absolutely loved the oversized bathtub which was like a pool to her. Although the pool is a bit on the smaller size, it is still easy to find a perfect spot to lounge and enjoy the Tucson summer (the dive in movies on the weekends are also great). The pool staff are amazing - especially our server this weekend (Alex). He was truly amazing and made our stay even that more enjoyable. Sunday brunch is also a must have. We truly enjoy our "stay-cations" at Ventana Canyon and will continue to come back here. Amazing hotel, great rooms, friendly and helpful staff!!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank AZKristy
Reviewed June 18, 2011

Very relaxing..great atmosphere..great food..highly recommend the buffet..extremely friendly staff. Look forward to visiting again in the future.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 16, 2011

It sure is a luxury hotel. My room was a ‘mountain view room’ of the basic category, on the fourth floor. It was really spacious with two large beds, and all luxurious amenities. The balcony is a big plus. The bathroom was very nice and spacious too, and if the bathtub had been just slightly bigger I would have called it a swimming pool. The location is good for the views, overlooking the city or into the Canyon. It is quite a long way out of town though and unless you have your own transport you are stuck with the restaurants at the resort. They are excellent but pricey. Servings are large though, and nobody made me feel uncomfortably when I took half the food with me to have it for breakfast. The main activity there is golfing, and I am not a golfer. I was there cycling and it is close enough to some really fabulous cycling tracks. The bike could stay in a luggage room at the entrance. The pool and gym cost 10 USD extra which I found quite a lot at face value. Facilities are excellent though, the pool is large and very clean, and the gym is huge, with really everything you could wish for, and instruction is included. Overall I found it a very nice place to stay. Just beware if you don’t have your own transport, as you will be stuck there. WiFi is only available in the lobby.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank alpenbewohner
Reviewed June 14, 2011

We recently stayed at the Loews Ventana Canyon resort and it was wonderful. It is very pet friendly and that is what attracted us to the resort in the first place. The room was lovely and oversized and the bathroom had a huge shower. The bed was so comfortable and we slept like babies every night. The service was also good especially the housekeeping. I just wish they would extinguish the difference between dog and cat owners. They only provide doggie treat bags and not cat..... please don't assume that everyone owns a dog! There are millions of cat owners as well....The property surrounding the resort is amazing with great emphasis on keeping and maintaining the natural beauty of the canyon. Also make sure you hike the short trail at the back of the pool area..... it leads to an 80 foot waterfall! Check out this resort..... you will be glad you did!!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple