“Affordable and immaculate Inn with free continental breakfast.”

La Quinta Inn Tucson East
Ranked #63 of 130 Hotels in Tucson
Gilbert, Arizona
“Affordable and immaculate Inn with free continental breakfast.”
Reviewed June 17, 2011

My Entertainment book was used to make my online reservation. This location is immaculate, has a helpful staff (in particular, Dave), serves a lovely continental breakfast, is within walking distance to several restaurants, and is a short drive to Park Place Mall. If you are using Mapquest for directions, be forewarned that this hotel is not a mile from the Speedway exit--but approximately a fifteen minute drive from there.

I plan to return to Tucson in the fall and will book a return stay at this location.

Room Tip: Two options available, parking lot or poolside.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed May 1, 2011

I have been to several La Quinta Inns in the Phoenix area, and I always found them pleasant. When I had to choose a traffic school, I thought I'd give the traffic school class meeting at La Quinta Inn in Tucson a try. I'm sorry I did.

The meeting room had tables for 18 people, and about 38 showed up. This is not La Quinta's fault, but with the room crowded and stuffy, students began to get hot. While coffee was provided, there was no water. Several students were coughing and hacking. I asked the LQ employee tending to the coffee if she could bring some water. After "no comprende", I simply said "agua". She replied in Spanish in the affirmative. 30 minutes later, no water had arrived, and the students were still coughing and hacking. I decided to find a manager. With only one person at the front desk, and a line of half a dozen people waiting for service, I waited my turn, a bit impatiently I admit as I kept thinking of the others hacking away in the sauna-like meeting room. When it was finally my turn (after about another 30 minutes), a young lady walked right up in front of me to get serviced. I tapped her on the shoulder and stated that I had been waiting in line. She ignored me. I don't appreciate how young, good looking young ladies think they own the world (I know, they just do, get over it). I confronted the lone employee at the front desk and made my request for water for the traffic school. When he simply said he'd send some when he could, and with a long line still behind us, I said "you don't understand, this is a safety & health issue, please send water as soon as possible". He told me he would get the manager. He returned with "the manager is busy, she'll come meet you in the meeting room. Her name is Loretta".

So I went back to the meeting room, where the same coughers & hackers were still at it. A couple of minutes later, an LQ employee came to the meeting room door, which we had left open to get a little airflow inside. I got up and asked her if she was Loretta. She was not Loretta, and she was not the manager. She also had no water. The manager did not show up all morning.

After lunch, I decided to rest in the lobby for a few minutes before class started again. Loretta finally comes out to meet with me in the lobby, not because I had requested her, but to tell me that I am not welcome in the lobby, nor the Inn, and I could only go back to class in the meeting room. She said "there is no provision in the contract with the traffic school for water". I asked her if she was concernred about people's health & safety on her property. She said "take it up with the traffic school". So I went back to class, as requested, and There was still no water.

Finally, about 3pm in the afternoon, God heard my plea and sent down water from heaven ... oh, wait ... it was from the second floor. Evidently someone let the water overflow the bathtub ... or worse? The entire class evacuated the room. I had the last laugh and told the supervisor "that's not the drinking water I was looking for".

Based on the obvious uncaring attitude the LQ people had for people's health and safety on their property ("you're not our customer, the traffic school is"), I will never return to this property for any reason, and will inform everyone I can that LQ management does not care one whit about their health & safety.

Room Tip: Worst inn I've ever been in.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank DesertMoon4

Travelers are raving about these Tucson hotels

Washington DC
Reviewed March 29, 2011

I booked a room at La Quinta with some trepidation after all the negative reviews, and I honestly wonder whether I was staying at the same hotel as many of the reviewers. I think people need to adjust their expectations, because this is probably the best deal you will get on the East side of Tucson. I paid $59 per night for a weekly rate on the La Quinta website, and it would be difficult to find a better price for a hotel in this area, even on Priceline.

No, it's not a 5-star hotel--and if that's what you are looking for, then be prepared to pay a 5-star price. However, I have only minor complaints. The room was large and comfortable, and the housekeeping was immaculate (with the possible exception of the bathtub, the bottom of which had seen better days). The bed was extremely comfortable and the bed linens were surprisingly high-end, although the towels were a bit thin. The front desk staff were unfailingly courteous and helpful. Granted, the exterior courtyard is not much to look at, but I liked the fact that the patios and pool area invited people to sit outside to read, chat and drink--it gave the place a comfortable, convivial atmosphere. The free high-speed internet was excellent. The location could not be better, within walking distance of several excellent restaurants and a short drive to great shopping. Honestly, I could not have asked for more in a hotel. I've stayed at a number of hotels in Tucson, and I'd definitely stay here again for the price, service and room quality.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
4 Thank wbpld
Happy Valley, Oregon, USA
Reviewed March 21, 2011

First, upon check-in, our room was dirty and ill-kept, to the point that the front desk manager had to come to the room to install two working lightbulbs. That night, security and noise control were problems with college baseball teams staying there. I would expect you'd anticipate challenges and staff up, even if it means rent-a-cops to keep rowdy crowds under control. Men were undressing with their hotel rooms wide open and walking around the hotel with nothing but a towel on. And the noise made get any type of night's rest near impossible.

Could it get worse? When I came back to the room day two at 8:30, the room hadn't been cleaned. I called the front desk and was informed that staff had noted I did not want to be disturbed throughout the day. That is so untrue. I told staff cleaning the room next door that I'd be leaving the room at 2:30 and the room would be vacant for cleaning. I left notes about the dirty carpets and bed linens from the night before. The night manager when I called at 8:30 said rooms were still be cleaned and that they'd "be right there." I returned at 9:30 and no one had come. Called again, and was told they'd be there immediately. By 10:15, I needed to get to bed, so I went to the front desk. They had no towels, so I had to find a cleaning cart and get towels, paper products, etc. Sleep was more important at that point than clean bed linens or carpets.

Breakfast service both mornings was absurb. Garbage was overflowing, they were "out of everything." I'm surprised local health department would allow you to serve food in those conditions.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Bill M
Tempe, Arizona
Reviewed March 8, 2011

I am glad I did not see the biologists review before I stayed at the la Quinta last weekend. I was visiting family in Tucson and the hotel was a convenient location. My room as very clean, new carpet and quiet. The hotel is very old. It is the need of outside remodeling. But, I paid $78 including tax for one night. That is a good deal when it includes a breakfast. Cold hard boiled eggs, hot waffles, cold cereals, bagels, muffins, two juices, apples, coffee were provided for breakfast. For a frugal traveler, a muffin, apple and hard boiled egg would make a tidy lunch! Not that I would suggest stealing? from a hotel!

I looked in the bedding and saw no evidence of bugs. I must admit I did not check out the pictures on the wall. who does that?!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
Hereford,AZ
Reviewed February 26, 2011

This is an older LaQuinta, but has been mostly redone, except for the bathrooms, which could use some updating. The bed was clean and comfortable. The pool looked nice, outside, but also the area could use some updating, as well. The lobby and breakfast area, were nice.
Breakfast was OK, very busy the morning we were there, so the attendant had to restock
the items quickly. Our check-in was quick, friendly and efficient. Checking out was the same.
Considering this is High season in Tucson, the rate we got couldn't be beat. It is within an easy walk, next door in fact, to Denneys Restaurant. Down the street from Mimi's Cafe and
several other restaurants, also.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed February 25, 2011

I travel a lot for work (more than 300 days a year), so I know a thing or two about hotels. I wasn't expecting a five star place but I certainly wasn't expecting what I got out of this La Quinta. Out of the five people I was traveling with - none of us had a clean room, most didn't have working toilets, and I had dead bed bugs stuck in the wall pictures. Additionally, every morning I had a baby roach parade tromp across my night stand. I thought about switching rooms but I figured my known evil room was better than a random new one.

The front desk staff were rude and constantly having to deal with people living there not paying their bills and also the police. I checked out just in time as the police were handling an issue in the back of the hotel. Seriously, find a different hotel for the same price elsewhere in the city or pay a little extra to not have to deal with the hassle. I was incredibly freaked out about the bed bugs and tore the room apart looking for live ones.

As a biologist with a background in entomology, I completely fear these things and the way they can ruin your home if you should bring them back. Add in that the rooms were dirty and the front desk unpleasant and you have no reason to stay here. On a lighter note, "La Quinta" in this case is actually Spanish for "next to Denny's".

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business