“Do you like crack heads?”

Howard Johnson Inn - Tucson Downtown
Ranked #118 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
Reviewed May 25, 2007

First off location.............. BAD!
if you have kids you don't want to stay here. We arrived in the evening with our 2 kids and as we were walking to our rooms this crazy crack head followed us all the way to the room. The rooms we gross! no lights in the bathroom and after a long drive we all needed to use it, the curtins were torn and the front door wouldn't close all the way. Well that stay lasted all of about 15 minutes we checked out. Never again! I have stayed in some cheap hotels but this place took the cake, motel 6 is like the Ritz compared to this place.

• Stayed: May 2006, traveled with family
2  Thank Travellite1

Reviewed May 8, 2007

We chose this motel because it was the lowest price for the night we needed to stay, at the location we wanted and was a major named facility.
Once we found the front desk person, she got us checked in and told us to park anywhere along the road, and our room was on the second floor.
The room was not clean and had many places where repairs were either needed or had been done poorly.
The breakfast was barely adequate, but probably fell into the more strict guidelines for a continental breakfast.
All being said, I'll never use a Howard Johnson Hotel again

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank dginbluejeans
Reviewed April 18, 2007

Howard Johnson - Tucson, AZ.
I went to this hotel as part of a package on Orbitz. OK, OK - I know - it was cheap. But - this was the worst place I have ever stayed - and my standards can be very low when it is my money (or my own company's money) and all I really need is a bed.
Having said that - this place still was off the charts - at the bottom.
It is noisy. It is right on the freeway.
There was a missing light bulb over the bed that never got replaced.
One day there was no coffee for the machine.
I used the little pad of note paper my on first day - I never got another over 4 days.
The staff was horrible.
Transients were everywhere - picking up cans and eyeing the cars.
And the worst -- The WiFi was sooooooo slow that a dial up modem would have been 10X faster. I literally could not get any work done or even read my emails. I complained and the management told me that they had a bad internet service provider and could not change it for several more months. Are you kidding me - they knew about the problem and chose not to fix it ???
Because it was pre-paid as a package I felt stuck - but I was ready to flee after 1 hour there.
Even if it is free - avoid this place!

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled solo
3  Thank MovinOn2
Reviewed October 9, 2006

This was the nastiest motel I ever paid $80 a night for. There was little or no hot water, the wireless Internet did not work, and the room was nasty. I just can't think of much to say about the property that is good except the location.

We asked for a nonsmoking room, but the room we received had thirty year old paint, bad plumbing, and the smell of stale cigarettes. Their free breakfast turned out to be a bowl of cereal for one person (we had three) and they charge premium prices for substandard service. The following night we stayed in a motel that cost half as much and received four times the comfort.

• Stayed: October 2006
5  Thank okieexplorer
Reviewed January 21, 2006

This hotel is the worst I have stayed at in a long time. We were supposed to be here three different nights, and they were to be free under Cendant's best rate program.

Each room we had was falling apart, the fixtures were coming off the walls and the rooms were dirty. The first room we had the water in the tub did not work. We had a non smoking room yet you could smell the smoke coming in. There was holes in the bedding, dirty rolled up toilet paper in our clean bed under the pillows.

The next time in a remodled room it was again dirty and falling apart. After we left this place for good I receive a call from a manager who did not speak english well, and who evidently did not understand Cendant's best rate program. He said we were only entitled to one free night and that they were going to charge us for the other nights. When I started to dispute this with him he hung up on me.

After seeing the charges on our credit card bill I contacted Cendant and they are working on getting them credited. The hotel also falsified the dates of check in that they reported to the credit card company (to make it look like the dates we stayed were not under the free night program.)

Hotel has also started charging for the continental breakfast.

AGAIN AVOID THIS HOTEL AT ALL COSTS!!! IT IS NOT WORTH STAYING AT EVEN FOR FREE!!!

• Stayed: December 2005
5  Thank tonyk81
Reviewed November 27, 2005

Booked for three nights through priceline. Got it for $20 a night. First room was awful. Smelled really bad. Went and switched right away to room next door. Next room not as bad of a smell. Room had no fire alarm, no remote, basically nothing extra except a T.V. Basically we only got this room to sleep in. The rest of the days were spent with family. The next day I noticed through open windows that the other rooms had coffe makers, hair dryers, and fire alarms. I went back to office and was switched to a different room. All rooms were overall shabby. Old rug, old bedspreads, patched up walls, towel racks ripped off, could see through your air vent in bathroom into bathroom next door!! I've decided that I'm not that hard up on money where I won't spend a few extra bucks on a hotel the next time. But if your just looking for a place to crash, and you can get it cheap, this is the place for you.

• Stayed: November 2005
5  Thank not2fussy
Reviewed July 9, 2005

I wish I had known of this sight earlier. Booked this hotel through Hotwire, so it was paid for before I saw it. They called it a 2 star. First room they showed me had towel rack and ceiling light fixtures missing, stains on towels, rolled up kleenex in missing peep hole, door barely attached from being kicked in, drawers on furniture falling off, & looked like it had just been repainted using a broom. When I told front desk she laughed at 2-star rating, said many other travelers leave after they see the room conditions, and said I could not get refund (because it was prepaid through Hotwire). Showed me second "remodeled room" by pool courtyard. It was generally dirty, and was also supposed to be non-smoking, yet reeked of smoke, & bed spread had 14 burn holes in it (yes I counted them). I called Hotwire from hotel desk and was told it was paid for and I could not get refund. So I stayed. The first cockroach I saw was actually inside the alarm clock when I went to set it. Apparently they like the warmth because you could see other dead ones in it too through the front glass. I also saw 2 in bathroom, 1 on sink, and 1 crawling up the wall by the frig. After I got home I had to dump out all my clothes in the driveway to prevent any roaches from coming home with me. Hotwire and Howard Johnsons said they'd "look into it." The response from hotel mgmt. was an offer to stay again at a $10 discount! Hotwire's response was to stand behing the 2 star rating having no independant info to the contrary, and offer nothing to me in the way of refund, apology, or redress of any kind. Apparently, they either didn't believe me or didn't care. I would never stay here again even if it was free, nor use Hotwire again because I can't trust their ratings. As older and inexpensive hotels go, this one is at the bottom of the barrel, being also dirty, rundown, and unsanitary.

• Stayed: January 2005, traveled on business