“Are they planning to demolish this hotel and rebuild?”

Motel 6 Tucson Airport
Ranked #107 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
Reviewed February 15, 2013

I booked rooms at this hotel many months in advance and the reviews were ok. The lobby is very pleasant so we were disappointed when we proceeded to our room past a huge waste can in the hallway to collect dripping water from the ceiling, saw two beetles/roaches scurrying in the hallway, and bare sockets where there should have been ceiling lights. In hindsight, I wish I had taken photos! Once in the room we found stained, gooey looking carpet, blankets that were stained, small beetle type bugs (we saw 4 of them on one bed) and sheets that were so thin we could see through them! It appeared that there was a leak or something else must have caused the staining on the ceiling. We did not see any signs of bedbugs, so hung our small overnight bags from hangers to prevent anything from crawling into them during the night. There were also rodent droppings in the drawer next to the bed. The Tucson gem show was on, so it would have been difficult to find another place to stay so we used lots of Lysol spray and stayed one night. The water did not shut off in the shower. The wall next to the shower and the hinges on the bath door were rusted through and had some weird looking white foamy mold on it, and the towels were stained so we did not use the shower. The continental breakfast was coffee, some type of orange flavored beverage, and prepackaged granola bars or tiny donuts. We decided to go to McDonalds next door.

Room Tip: There are lots of other hotels to choose from during the Gem show if you book far enough in advance...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank chriskaia

Reviewed February 11, 2013 via mobile

This is the worst place I can remember staying at. No hot or even warm water to shower, everything is very crusty, I don't think the rooms are ever actually cleaned. There is hair all over the floor. The carpet is so stained I can't tell what color it originally was. You definitely wouldn't walk bare foot in the room. The sheets are thread bare! why would they continue to use them? Just plain disgusting. I wouldn't stay here again even if they paid me $50/night.

• Stayed: February 2013
3  Thank derekfap
Reviewed February 7, 2013

Booked and paid for a room thru Expedia four months in advance. Windermere cancelled our reservation without notification. In fact, we checked on our reservation with the Windemere the day before we arrived. Well, we arrived the next day about seven o'clock, and we were informed that our reservation had been cancelled because they were overbooked. The Gem and Mineral show was in town, and hotel rooms were scarce.

• Stayed: February 2013
2  Thank TigerDoggie
Reviewed December 31, 2012

We chose this hotel for its location and price. Easy parking and access to I-10, closely located to several gas options, McDonalds, and Country Folks Restaurant. Front desk committed my biggest pet peeve: stating my room number out loud. Otherwise nicely appointed room in a vintage feeling hotel. Room include tv, desk with chairs, fridge, coffee maker (if there was a micro I can't remember, too much travel lately) complimentary coffee and muffins in lobby. We did discover that train and airplane noise can be heard, but really it's not that big of a deal (trust me, I've been all over).

Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank JenEricTravelers
Reviewed October 22, 2012

So, I went to the room that was paid for. I asked for Non-Smoking, I got it, however it still reeked of smoke. I ignored it. One of the lights didn't work in the room. The room seemed kind of old and torn up. Then as I'm in the restroom....I see a ROACH calling from under the sink. It was late, was unsure what to do....so I ignored it for the time being. Went to bed in the most uncomfortable bed I have ever been in with some small pillows (like couch pillows). Like...Really? Then I lay down to try to sleep, fell asleep. Woke up in the middle of the night, like some people usually do. So...WHY DO I SEE A ROACH crawling up the wall? So, I just figure I'll talk to the hotel tomorrow. My room was changed to a front room from the back of the hotel.

That room was okay.....besides seeing a roach laying dead on his back. Guess the raid got him. Lol so, I try to make use of one more night. The hotel keys weren't working that great or the outside doors. My room was paid for from somebody else, except one night. But they screwed things up on that end, like a mix up. They tried to apologize and when I told another guy in the office about the roaches (like a manager) he act like he didn't even care!
Terrible place! My first & last time staying there! Not even worth $20.00/night! I don't like little brown things around my stuff and me, making me feel uncomfortable. They should be ashamed of themselves! AND THIS IS TRUE!!!!

• Stayed: October 2012
4  Thank Youngjenn
Reviewed October 20, 2012

I recently stayed here and I chose to do that because of the other reviews. I was gong to stay at a Motel 6 but the reviews about train noise made me stay away from that hotel and come to this one. I am usually a staunch supporter of Motel 6 and my pocketbook thanks me for that.

My room was a smoking room even tho the sign on the door and my reservation said: No Smoking. I was too tired from traveling to go and argue with the front desk and so I just stayed. Maybe I was just imagining it? But in the morning when I went to get the 'continental' breakfast which consisted of some cheap packages of small donuts, apples in a bowl and Sunny D in a pitcher (for the orange juice I guess) and empty coffee carafes I noticed the stink of cigarettes in my room when I got back. It was horrible and I wish I had gone to complain the night before.

I also really noticed that the front desk area is very pretty but the rooms themselves are shabby and the halls smell really bad. Old motel smell for sure.

When I asked the front desk clerk about the coffee carafes being empty, she didn't respond so I never got any from the 'free breakfast.' There was nothing else offered, no cereal or bagels or anything at all.

Another thing, when I came back in the morning I noticed there were really big weird black spots on the bed sheets that I didn't notice the night before. How can you put sheets like this on a bed for guests? And two out of three lightbulbs in the bathroom did not work so that was not good.

I would never stay here again and feel that the earlier reviews are very misleading. This hotel is right by the highway and very noisy and there is a general air of neglect and when I pulled up in the back area - the front desk is very hard to find - I had to wander around in a very dark and empty place and felt very uncomfortable as a woman. This is just another shabby, crummy hotel with a fancy desk and some surprisingly good reviews considering what I experienced. When I read the other comments I am really shocked because it is nothing like what I experienced. In the future I will stay at a Motel 6 and get what I expect - cheap and simple and no expectations.

One thing to consider is that these reviews are just other people's experiences and to still use your best judgement when considering where to stay. I was disappointed and felt tricked by the reviews but now I know better and will judge for myself in the futures. Buyer beware !

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Susan M
Reviewed September 19, 2012

Great experience at the Windmere inn made lifelong friends. Awesome breakfast, clean rooms and friendly staff. Thanks debbie and Robert we appreciate everything you did for us. From the Allison's in Missouri

• Stayed: July 2012