“Not quite what we desired”

Radisson Hotel Tucson Airport
Ranked #107 of 130 Hotels in Tucson
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Not quite what we desired”
Reviewed March 27, 2014

We stayed at this hotel due to its location. It was clean and service was good. There was a tattoo convention the week we stayed and people were smoking outside most entrances most of the time. The hot tub was broken and did not work the entire five day stay. The pool heater was not working, so the water was cold. The complimentary breakfast buffet was decent. I would not stay at this hotel again, especially during tattoo convention weekend. Traffic and the train traffic was very loud, as was the room air conditioner.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Jim C
Holiday Inn and... T, General Manager at Radisson Hotel Tucson Airport, responded to this review, April 2, 2014
Dear Jim C,
Thank you for taking the time to express your opinion and share your recent experience on Trip Advisor. We genuinely appreciate your feedback and use this information to better our quality and service. On a positive note we are so pleased that you found your rooom to be clean and our service and staff to be friendly. I am sorry that you were not able to enjoy the spa and that the noise from the train did not allow for a good rest. I would love the opportunity to make this right for you. I may be reached at Susan.moger@jqh.com. Thank you for choosing to stay with us. If your travels take you again to Tucson we look forward to having you as our guest

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed March 25, 2014

This was rated as a 3-star hotel; it isn't. The lobby was nice. That is the extent of "nice". The hotel elevator(s). There was only one working elevator (week of March 16, 2014). This looked to have been that way for some time because the pain around the elevator was all scuffed and scratched and dirty. The wait for the elevator was very long; as much as 5 minutes. The staff rode up and down with the guests. The dirty linen in its large wheeled container rode up and down with the guests. The dirty dishes also. Quite unpleasant. The corridors were dirty; the carpeting in the corridors was stained and dirty. On to the rooms. The beds squeaked; I'm not kidding!!! The mattresses were so old that the springs squeaked when one sat on the bed. Needless to say, they were not comfortable to sleep on. The carpet in the room was stained and dirty. The room itself was clean enough (except for the carpet), but everything was just kind of dingy and needs a definite overhall. I have stayed in hotels ranging from 1-star to 5-star. I would rate this a 1.5 star hotel as it is.

Room Tip: Do not stay at this hotel if you want a good room. We tried more than one room before settling on t...
Green Features: I guess if having only one working elevator is saving energy, then that wold be it.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Elizabeth W
Holiday Inn and... T, General Manager at Radisson Hotel Tucson Airport, responded to this review, March 27, 2014
Dear Elizabeth W,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your thoughts and comments regarding your stay with us. Please accept our sincere and humblest apology for the overall dissatisfaction you experienced. We regret the room you received as well as the service did not live up to your expectations. We give the utmost importance to our guest comments as they help us improve, and continually provide the best guest experience possible.

Warmest Regards
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Reviewed March 19, 2014

This Holiday Inn is showing its age. In its better days, it was host to movie stars. Not now. The bed was comfortable and my room was quiet, however, there were many smaller details with the property that could really use some repairs and updates. The metal security door from the parking lot slammed so loud my ears were ringing. And, I could hear it slam repeatedly during our stay, though we were at the other end of the row of suites. The occupants in the suite adjacent to the door must have been miserable. The hot tub was not working and was cordoned off. Carpet in the room was worn and had some obvious large stains. I wiped down the countertop because some residual liquid from previous occupants remained. Otherwise, it was comfortable and not pricey.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Holiday Inn and... T, General Manager at Radisson Hotel Tucson Airport, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
Dear Milonguero,

I am very glad that you found your stay to be comfortable and priced to your expectation. I would like to offer you my sincerest apologies that your room was not completley clean and the maintance of the building was not reflective of the standards you have come to expect from the hotel or the Holiday Inn brand.

We are working to correct these areas of opportunity and truly appreciate your feedback. Thank you for choosing to stay with us. If your travels take you again to Tucson we look forward to having you as our guest.

Warm Regards,
Spokane, Washington
Reviewed March 15, 2014

We booked for three nights and moved hotels after one night. Our "view" from 6th floor was obstructed by hard water covering windows. Carpets and tile floors were filthy. Elevator out of service. Hottub was cold. Entire place needs a remodel! Old and dirty.

Room Tip: Do not stay here
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Jody M
Dear Jody M,

First and foremost I would like to offer you my sincerest and humblest apologies for your recent stay with us. It certainly was not representative of our standards or the Holiday Inn brand. I can understand how frusterating your stay must have been with a room on the 6th floor and only having one elevator operational. I am truly dissappointed that we were not able to make it right for you and you felt that it was best to leave the hotel, but it was certainly understandable.

I would like the opportunity to speak to you further about the service you recieved and what we could have done differently. I may be emailed direct at susan.moger@Jqh.com.

It is truly guests like you that make us better at what we do. Thank you again for taking the time to send in your review . If your journey takes you back to Tucson again I hope you will reconsider and give us another opportunity to have you as our guest.

Warmest Regards,
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed March 11, 2014

This place is straight up a dump. I felt very uncomfortable here. The room was just gross and dirty and I was sure I would see bugs crawl out at any point. This property should not be graded 3 stars. That is simply deceptive.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Enrique R
Dear Enquire R,

First and foremost I would like to offer my sincerest apologies for your recent stay with us. It certainly was not representative of our standards or the Holiday Inn brand.

I would like the opportunity to speak to you further about the cleanliness of your room as well as the service you recieved. I may be emailed direct at Susan.moger@Jqh.com.

It is truly guests like you that make us better at what we do. Thank you again for taking the time to write a review . If your journey takes you back to Tucson again I hope you will reconsider and give us another opportunity to have you as our guest.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed February 28, 2014

I stayed at this hotel for two nights in February. (I unfortunately just got this hotel again as an "upgrade" while bidding on Priceline. Because of this one hotel, I can no longer bid at all near the Tucson airport. There are several very good 2.5 star hotels near the airport. You will never get them because this dump blocks you from getting them because they make the room price so low. I am only paying thirty dollars/night, but you get what you pay for.)

I stayed in room 408. The room was very hot. The HVAC system did not work well at all and was deafening. They had to switch out the unit, but it wasn't much better. The wi-fi didn't work in this room at all. I had to go to the lobby to get all of my work done. That is just pathetic. The tech support was unable to resolve my issue. If you get assigned Room 408, refuse to take the room. There was no also no desk in the room and I had to rearrange the furniture so the pitiful HVAC system would circulate through the room.

This hotel is a certified dump. Stained carpets. Dingy towels. Sheets that smell like body odor and/ or jheri curl juice. They make you pay $10/day for a fridge. No microwave either. You can go to a one star hotel in this area and get a fridge and microwave for free. For a hotel of this size, the gym is the size of your room. The hotel isn't located near anything. The restaurant serves food that starving people in Africa would refuse.

The security at the hotel is also pathetic. Many of the doors do not work and anyone can just park in the back of the hotel and walk in w/o a key card. Lovely.

Overall, this is the worst hotel near the airport. There are much better options in the area. Unfortunately it will be hard to get a deep discount on those hotels through Priceline bidding because this hotel low balls their Express Deals and blocks you from getting a decent room at other area hotels. You may get upgraded to this hotel, but it's a major downgrade from most of the 2.5 star hotels in the area.

As I write this review, I am dreading checking in on Saturday and will be counting the hours until I get to check out. I refuse to pay for a fridge so will be trolling Craigslist to buy a used fridge for $20 to $30 to use for the week. I am doing this out of spite. I refuse to be shafted over a fridge. If worst comes to worst, I'll buy a cooler from Walmart. And this isn't New York! Who wants to eat out every meal in Tucson?!?!?!

This is not a place to stay for more than a night or two. And if you pay more than thirty-five dollars per night, you are insane.

AVOID THIS DUMP AT ALL COSTS!

Room Tip: Room 408 does not have wi-fi. You have to sit in the hall for it to work. Avoid all #08 rooms as the...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
3 Thank MoreThanAWoman
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Hotel Tucson Airport, responded to this review, March 18, 2014
Dear MoreThanAWoman,

We noticed your review regarding the Holiday Inn Tucson Airport - North. We are reaching out to you on behalf of InterContinental Hotels Group or IHG, representing the Holiday Inn brand. We appreciate you bringing your concern to our attention and apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced.

We'd like to obtain additional detail about your experience but unfortunately, your account settings do not allow us to send you a Private Message. You are welcome to reach out to IHGCare via email at IHGCare@ihg.com or you may send us a Private Message through TripAdvisor to IHGCare including reference to your TripAdvisor Account Name so we can follow up on your experience.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
Reference # 49465096
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed February 26, 2014

With an impressive Spanish-Mission style lobby, high-tech business center, conference area, eatery/bar, workout area and pool/spa, this place actually has the potential to be a 4-star hotel. Unfortunately, the rooms and facilities are in such a state of unsightly disrepair that it would take millions in rennovation to do so; it would not surprise me if the rooms themselves have not been updated one iota since the time of the Coldwar.

Service here is average and I was advised that no one could come up to my room to help me work the shower until I suggested to the female desk-staff that she send a male security guard up to help me do so. Furthermore, I requested a 9:30 AM wakeup call but received it at 6:30 AM instead. The comments about the broken elevator are true and I often found myself waiting well over 90 seconds for an elevator. House-keeping is suspect here, too, as the maid failed to take out the trash.

All things considered, I would not recommend staying here unless you can get over 60% of the asking price via a 3rd party as I did.

Room Tip: Unless you get it for free, don't bother upgrading to a sutie.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Charles S
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Hotel Tucson Airport, responded to this review, March 13, 2014
Dear Charles S,