“Good for what it is”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Vancouver, Canada
“Good for what it is”
Reviewed July 5, 2013

I'd actually give this 3.5 stars. They get the extra half for service. I'm only rating it 3/5 because I just didn't have a very good sleep. I stayed here for work because it was close to where I needed to be. Location-wise, it's not really close to very much. It's one of the further out airport hotels, and it's not really close to anything in town.

Upon check-in, I was greeted as a Priority club member, and I was also the priority club winner of the day. So I got a prize consisting of a movie, popcorn, some candy, and a meal. Since it was a work trip and my expenses were covered, these free things didn't mean a lot to me nor did I have time to use them, but it was nice to have the treats. Staff were very friendly and welcoming.

The room was dated, but clean enough and it was also quiet. I suspected I wasn't having a good sleep because the air conditioning in my room wasn't functioning. I like my room to be on the warmer side, but in the middle of the night I'd wake up and it would be extremely hot. The air conditioner was also noisy. Overall, I'd stay here again if I needed to be in that area, but hopefully not all the rooms are that hot.

I ate breakfast at the restaurant in the hotel since it was convenient. I thought it was pricey for what I was getting, but the staff were friendly. If there was something else close by, I would probably eat there instead.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Holiday Inn and... T, General Manager at Radisson Hotel Tucson Airport, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Dear topaz_bc,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our hotel. We appreciate your feedback and know your time is valuable.

We are happy to hear you enjoyed the services delivered by our team, especially the friendliness and cleanliness of our hotel. The team works hard to deliver in those areas and they'll be happy to hear of your compliments.

I can understand the opportunity we have with the air conditioners as getting a good night's rest is something that is important. I am sorry to learn of the noise and your un-restful night's sleep. I am hoping to get some information regarding the room you stayed in so I am hoping you can email me at kym.myers@jqh.com or call me directly at 520.799.8630 so I can have our engineering department work on that particular unit. Also, I would like to learn about your restaurant experience so that too may improve for other guests.

Thank you again for your candid feedback as it assists us in improving our service and quality. We do hope to see you again the next time you are in Tucson. You are a valued guest.

Mr. Kym Myers

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed July 3, 2013

I feel a bit bad for the owners of this hotel. It is a older building - layout reminiscent of the Holiday Inns I stayed at when I was a kid.

Big lobby with restaurant and huge seating area. Part of the rooms are around a pool in a motor lodge layout (remember, the famous Holidome?). Most of the room are in a six floors building.

I have to agree with some reviews, the hallways of the larger building had a strange stuffy smell. This building had slow elevators. You can feel that there had been some willingness at renovating the building.

My room was perfectly fine - very clean, new carpet, good TV, good bedding. The bathroom floor/bath was a bit old but spotless. I checked in details in corners of the room - all extremely clean.

The area around the hotel is deserted and very quiet. I had a very good night sleep.

As a final note, I have to admit that the front desk staff at both check-in and check-out was extremely nice and friendly.

Good, free, Internet connection.

Short drive to the airport.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Holiday Inn and... T, General Manager at Radisson Hotel Tucson Airport, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Dear crew347,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our hotel. We appreciate your comments as they will assist us in improving our quality and service.

As noted, we do have an older style hotel, but we really try and focus on our services, to which you noted in your review. The team will be happy to learn of their friendliness and efforts in keeping our hotel clean. Thank you for mentioning them in your review.

Once again, thank you for your review and we are happy that you enjoyed your overall stay with us. We do hope that you'll want to give us another opportunity to have you as our guest the next time you come to Tucson. We truly do value you!

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

I thought I'd scored a good deal through Priceline for an airport hotel, but then was astounded/disappointed that the property is actually not that close. Still, the hotel shuttle ran early a shuttle every half hour, and at 5:30 am, there was no traffic, and with the fastest security clearance of any airport I've been in, it all worked out. Folksy reception staff were very accommodating, bringing us pastries to go too. Generally I avoid the basic chains, but for the money, we had an excellent experience.

• Stayed April 2013
Holiday Inn and... T, General Manager at Radisson Hotel Tucson Airport, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Dear SRSvacation,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our hotel. We appreciate all feedback and always appreciate feedback from seasoned travelers such as yourself.

I understand how it must have felt not being right at the airport and we hope you know we do not try to mislead people with our hotel only being 3.5 miles away. I am sorry this caused disappointment with you at your arrival. We are happy to know our overnight team made for a more positive send off by bringing pastries to you as we know early morning trips can be difficult with not many food options available. They will be excited to learn their efforts did not go unnoticed.

Thank you again for your review on our hotel and we hope you'll give us another opportunity to have you as our guest the next time you visit Tucson. You are truly valued!

Hereford,AZ
Reviewed June 13, 2013

We only stayed one night,but would stay again. The walk up stairs were interesting,but there is an elevator towards the back of the hotel if you need it.Good for taking the luggage up and back down. Room was clean,comfortable and spacious.2 room suite. Check in was OK, they were just getting rid of a big conference at the hotel,so things were rather hectic for the front desk,but no worries,they were on it! Restaurant was great for the included buffet breakfast the next morning.All in all, a nice place to stay and convenient to where we had to be in Tucson.

Room Tip: A/C units in the room are a bit noisy,but OK. Ask about the elevator to ease the luggage transport.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Holiday Inn and... T, General Manager at Radisson Hotel Tucson Airport, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Dear Azsmittys,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our hotel. We appreciate the feedback and will use it to continue to improve our product and quality.

The team will be happy to know of your stay and how the room was clean and how they worked hard to deliver memorable service during a busy check out period. I understand the concern over a noisy air conditioning unit as it can truly diminish a good night's rest. I am sorry that was the case.

Thank you again for your review and we look forward to seeing you again the next time you come to Tucson. You are truly a valued guest!

Reviewed June 11, 2013 via mobile

I had an amazing experience here by way of the service. The rooms are pretty decent aside from needing new carpet and updated furniture. The rooms are clean, they have nice flat screen tv's and comfy beds. The restaurant has pretty good food and unbeatable service. Everyone here is 100% about service. If for nothing else that makes me want to come back.

• Stayed June 2013
Holiday Inn and... T, General Manager at Radisson Hotel Tucson Airport, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Dear wikad1,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our hotel. We appreciate your feedback and learning of the great comments on our service levels.

Our team takes pride in delivering memorable service and they will be thrilled to learn that is the case with you. We appreciate the positive comments regarding our service.

Again, thank you for your review and we do hope to see you back again soon. You are a valued guest!

Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed June 5, 2013

Had a convention there for the Order of the Amaranth for a week and could not have found a better place. The employees went out of their way to assist us in every way they could. From the time we checked in until we left the staff were great. My THANKS go out to Kim, Susan, Otha, Richard, Tim, Lynnia, Jessica, Cody, Cynthia, Kimberly, Candace, Sarah, Lonnie, Everet, Mona, April, Suzette, Tiffany, Beto, David, Francisco and Ryan, they all did an outstanding job.

Room Tip: get a room facing the swimming pool area at the ground level It makes it more convienient to the di...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Holiday Inn and... T, General Manager at Radisson Hotel Tucson Airport, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Dear onevigilante,

Thank you for writing a review on our hotel. We appreciate you taking the time to tell us about your wonderful stay.

Our team is still talking about how great everyone was and how much fun they had while you were our guest. The group was not only fun to service, but educational to many as well. We really did enjoy the group and the team will be thrilled that you mentioned so many.

Thank you again for your review on us and we look forward to seeing you again in the future. We truly value you as our guest!

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed June 2, 2013

My trip was a short one to attend a promotion ceremony at Davis-Monthan AFB. The Holiday Inn Airport-North was ideally situated between the Tuscon airport and DMAFB.

Overall, the hotel is nice, clean, quiet, and staffed with friendly, helpful people.

Still, there were a few minor issues with my stay, but no show-stoppers, and I would stay there again.

The issues:

1) I checked into the hotel around 2:30 PM and a room was ready. I booked a standard, non-smoking room with a king-size bed. I asked if the rooms came equipped with a mini-refrigerator and the employee told me she was booking me into a mini-suite plus pointed me in the direction to where I could pickup some beer, juices, and water near the hotel. But first, my key didn't work, so I had to return to get it re-keyed, then the room was just a standard room with no mini-refrigerator. No big deal, as that is what I had originally booked. I didn't see any need to call the front desk about this mix-up.

2) One of the two elevators didn't have working floor indicator lights above the door.

3) House keeping didn't leave any coffee or hot drink cups nor any bar soap my first night. Again, I didn't see any need to call about this and the second day those items were there.

4) The guest service directory's television channel listing was inaccurate.

5) The bathroom's hair dryer was missing its holder and was hanging off the bare metal mounting bracket.

The notable good things:

1) Friendly, helpful (when I asked for it) hotel and restaurant staff.

2) Excellent pricing with the restaurants breakfast menu; fast service.

3) Nice business center room with a dedicated computer and printer for airline boarding passes.

4) Well-kept building interiors and grounds.

Overall, this hotel is well-suited for those looking for decent, clean facilities. The bed was comfortable, the wi-fi connection reliable, and the room quiet.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Holiday Inn and... T, General Manager at Radisson Hotel Tucson Airport, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Dear TravelGoot,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our hotel. We appreciate your detailed review as it is very helpful to us.

After reading your areas of opportunity, I can understand why your stay was good, but not great. I would feel the same way if my keys didn't work the first time, the refrigerator request wasn't met or channel guides are not accurate. As a traveler, those items are important and I am sorry you had to experience that with us.

On a positive note, thank you for pointing out the team and a few amenities we offer. The team works hard to deliver memorable service and they will be thrilled to learn their efforts did not go unnoticed.

If you have an moment, I would certainly like to learn more about your stay. You can either contact me directly at 520.799.8630 or via email at kym.myers@jqh.com. Your comments are valuable to us so we can certainly improve.

Thank you again for your review and I do hope to speak further to you about it. You are a valued guest to us!