“Smells like smoke” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #106 of 128 Hotels in Tucson
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Smells like smoke”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2012

Got good deal online. Close to the airport. Rooms are pretty clean but the halls, elevators and facilities are old, run down and smell awful. Good value for the price.

• Stayed January 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank AndrewMC77

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights while visiting the area. Being close to I-10 was very convenient for our travels to Tombstone and Kartchner Caverns. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. Our room was clean and comfortable. And the cocktails in the bar were tasty!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Tacoma,WA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2012

Upon check-in I had to ask the person at the front desk about the picture of the cockroach from trip advisor. I wanted to know if I had to worry about roaches in my room. I was informed that they were only "sewer cockroaches" and there was not much they could do about them. Thankfully, we did not see any in the three nights we stayed in the room (332) but my husband and I made sure to keep the sink and bathtub drains plugged!! The room was okay besides the stains on the carpet and a couple stains on some of the towels. The room did not have a fridge or microwave but that may be because we were in a cheaper Corporate Lodging room. There is not much within walkind distance except for a Circle K. There were no restaurants in sight and the one in the hotel was closed at lunch so we ordered from Chariot Pizza, which was wonderful! Anyway, the hotel does not provide breakfast, however, some people did have breakfast vouchers. I guess the special guests get free breakfast. The restaurant on site has lousy, slow service anyway but we did eat there twice in a row for breakfast because we had no transportation to go anywhere else. The beds were comfortable and the room was fairly clean, although we did find a half empty water bottle lodged between the bed and the night stand. Oh well, I will say that the front desk staff was exceptionally friendly and helpful when we could not get the printer to work. Overall, an okay stay.

Room Tip: Not all rooms have a fridge and microwave. Some rooms are right in front of the pook (we did not get...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Ladytrucker101
AMHERST
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2012

Everything about this hotel is outstanding. Employees are extremely friendly, efficient and eager to please. The restaurant and lounge are excepptional.This is the only hotel I've ever stayed at where the building entry door locks function as designed 24/7, except, obviously, the front door. It is a secure property. The restaurant and lounge are exceptional. Whenever I return to Tucson this is my hotel. I will be a return visitor.

Room Tip: Request a pool side room when making a reservation. The suites are large and well appointed.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Auburn, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2011

I stayed here last weekend for a 4 day class. The location is terrible if you are coming from out of town and want to eat anywhere but their restaurant.

So, first the restaurant. The food is terrible. Truly. I ate there the night I got in, the next day for lunch and did one morning of room service and all were very bad. I placed a card out on my door in the evening twice for breakfast and they never picked it up. The one time I did have room service was when I called in the morning to order. I probably shouldn't have - the egg and toast was cold, the coffee and "fresh fruit" were tasteless. They do offer a shuttle that goes within 3-4 miles distance, but was told by the front clerk that they "may or may not be able to take us depending on if they get an airport run" and "heres the list of places we can go, but we may not be able to take you to some of those". I do understand the airport thing, but if the only thing within walking distance is a Chopstix and a Burger King, you would think they'd make a little more effort. That being said, the shuttle drivers (Dean and Rhianne) were AWESOME and we did get out to a couple of restaurants during our stay. I had a student from my class drive me to Whole Foods where I purchased a few things so I could stay away from the hotel restaurant.

The hotel itself was fine. The lobby was nicely decorated with the waterfall and Christmas Tree/decorations. The meeting rooms were suitable for our classes.

My room was also fine. Yes, a little dated but it was clean and comfortable. I could hear the train in the distance but it didn't bother me and I slept well. The first morning I when I used the blow dryer it sounded like it was going to blow up. Sparks flew and it died! As I needed to teach a class in an hour, I was relieved and impressed that they brought me a new one within 5 minutes. The repairman was very nice and he said he'd mount it on the wall later so I could get going. When I returned it was mounted, but when I used it the next morning it came flying off the wall! No biggie - I was still very happy to have something that worked.

So for the big picture: if I came to the area again I'd prefer a hotel that was closer (walking distance) for meals or a hotel that offers refigerators/microwaves in the rooms. If I was just staying overnight this place is fine. It's clean, I slept well and the staff was very friendly.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank MelindaN
Des Moines
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2011

I was inconvenienced by United Airlines and arrived into Tucson at 2am. My wife and I needed lodging close to the airport so we could get our rental car the next day. Everyone who worked at the HI Tucson airport North was very pleasant. The shuttle driver picked us was very courteous, the night auditor who was the desk clerk at 2AM checked us in, gave us two goodie bags of cookies and chips, and gave us a nice King sized bed. The bed was very comfortable, the room bright and clean, we had a nice view but sadly we weren't staying longer. Upon check out, Mary was very nice. I had read some bad reviews on Google while waiting for the shuttle but we had a very pleasant stay. I will definitely stay there again when I am in Tucson again.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the court yard
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Kym M, General Manager at Radisson Hotel Tucson Airport, responded to this review, December 1, 2011
Hello,

Thank you for your review of our hotel regarding your recent stay. We appreciate you taking the time to write your review and it is always nice to hear that our team delivered great service during unfortunate circumstances with the airline. As with all comments we review, we learn from them and apply improvements and in your case there is no exception. If you have anything additional, please contact me via email at kym.myers@jqh.com. Thank you again for your comments and we hope to see you the next time you are in Tucson.

Mr. Kym Myers
goodyear, az
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2011

We stayed for 2 nights while on a visit to Tombstone area. First impression of the hotel was wonderful. Plenty of parking, the lobby was grand and beautiful. We arrived late and they put us in a room with one queen bed. We would have preferred a King but that was all they had left. We did book through priceline and the rate was about 1/2 of what was quoted on the Holiday Inn website so I cannot complain there. I did read another review that mentioned the train that goes by all night and it is very true. The train went through continuously and blew it horn loudly each and every time. It woke me up the first couple of rounds and then I think I got used to it. The room was cozy and clean and the bed was firm. The only complaint I would have other than the train noise would be that the hot water was not plentiful. It was "warm" at best. With it being cooler out I really enjoy a nice hot shower in the morning. But for the price we paid, all in all it was descent. I just dont know that I would stay there again.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank nicoleGoodyear_Az
Hi Nicole,

Thank you for the recent review of our hotel from your November stay. We appreciate your comments and I am sorry to hear about the train issue and "warm" water. I am hoping you can contact me via email at kym.myers@jqh.com to better learn about the water issue. I would like to have our maintenance department visit the room you stayed in to look at the shower and repair it if necessary. Again, we appreciate your comments and I'm sorry your experience was only decent.

Mr. Kym Myers