“Surprisingly Lovely”

Ranked #3 of 130 Hotels in Tucson
San Luis Obispo, California
“Surprisingly Lovely”
Reviewed August 8, 2013

It was a charming property. The cactus gardens were so lovely I use them as wallpaper on my iphone. In comparison with the hotel chains in Tucson, Hacienda del Sol was an oasis from the hubbub of of lots of people milling around. The restaurant was top notch. The management was attentive. The ordinary rooms were, I am told, small, because at its creation the hotel was a school for girls and had only dorm rooms, which are the smallest in the resort. But there are larger more spacious rooms in the cottages. We had #7, which looked out on the desert landscape and was a lovely king sized suite. One night they held a benefit concert on their lawn. They notified us well in advance and we decided to buy tickets. I won't go into detail; but think Blues Brothers band reunion...with friends. Great night. Great place!!!!!

Room Tip: Choose the cottages or rooms closest to the entrance to the resort. No spa, but they can provide Ma...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
BrianBattaglia, Front Office Manager at Hacienda Del Sol Guest Ranch Resort, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Dear Nana,
You may have given the best endorsement of our hotel ever. With the incessant needs of us on our phones and being like our children using our cactus lanscapes as your wallpaper is amazing. Thank you making the trip from the LA area to come stay with us. I also really enjoy the pictures you posted, especially the 2 in our Courtyards. As mentioned our Historic rooms are "old". They were built in the early 30's as dorm rooms for wealthy East coast young ladies. They used to fit 2 girls in one room, we knocked out the middle wall to make them big enough to be hotel rooms. It is fantastic to hear that were able to attend the concert that night. Mr. Cropper and Rosch enjoyed playing for everyone all night, it was one of the highlights of the year so far. Anytime you use your phone and are tempted to come see us again we'd love to have you back. Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (249)
  • Korean first
Tucson, AZ
Reviewed August 7, 2013

Amazing one night stay for a local staycation. Thank you for the military discount! Room was historic but nicely updated. Food was amazing as was the live band on the patio. Highly recommended from a Tucson local!

• Stayed August 2013
Dear Acct,
Thank you for dropping by for a night staycation recently. This summer it seems we are getting more and more popular with the locals and we love giving you a few hours or days of relaxation and escape. We are proud to offer our military and government employees the discounted rate on weekdays, least we can do to give a little back. Great to hear you were able to enjoy our live music which we have every weekend from 7-10 pm. Please contact me if I can assist with a future staycation and stay safe. Regards
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed August 6, 2013

Hacienda del Sol is a fantastic resort property. Very relaxing and quiet. If you are looking for a busy resort, this isn't it. The pool area is small without a lot of activity but very nice. The Grill buffet is to die for. The food is first class all the way. I had dinner solo (I was in Tucson on business) and felt quite comfortable. The food was excellent and prepared very well. I would definitely go back.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear Susie,
Thank you for coming down to stay with us from our Northern Neighbor area. I also appreciate your review on our behalf. We try to be a little oasis in the hustle and bustle of the city. Even when we are busy the sheer size of the property lends to never feel cramped or stuffy. I am glad you enjoyed some relaxation at the pool, I hope you took in a fantastic sunset down there. Whether a party of 1 or group of 20 our restaurants will cater to your needs and provide the service expected by everyone. We appreciate you spending 2 meals with us on property and I will share your review with the restaurant staff at our meeting next week. Hopefully you can make it down for a leisure visit next time and have time to soak in all we have to offer. Regards
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed July 24, 2013

Whether you're a first time Tucson visitor or a local seeking a special staycation, this resort embodies the region's heritage and beauty in a unique way. Our 24 hours felt like 3 days - from massage to dining with a spectacular sunset panoramic view, to live music on the patio and amazing brunch. You won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: Ask for the sunset suite - room #4!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Barbi R
BrianBattaglia, Front Office Manager at Hacienda Del Sol Guest Ranch Resort, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Dear Barbi,
Thank you for coming to stay with us from within our community. It is great to get locals staying with us and many people do not even know were here, I hope with your good experience you share with those who are not familiar. Sounds like you packed quite a bit of fun and relaxation in your 24 hours. We appreciate you using many of our outlets on property and as always I will share your review with the Spa and Restaurant Management.
I appreciate you mentioning that we embody Tucson and the Southwests heritage. It is always hard in this day and age to blend all the modernization and trends while maintaining a sense of history and culture.
Please let me know if I can ever assist when your planning on coming up to stay, for a drink or another massage. Regards
St. Augustine, Florida
Reviewed July 17, 2013

I stayed here at the end of a long vacation that had ranged all over New Mexico and Arizona - and it was the perfect place to relax and recharge. The staff is uniformly welcoming, helpful, and humorous. The room was beautiful, with a great patio for sitting outside and enjoying the active birds of Arizona. Poor and spa were just right - and also had great views of the mountains. Late evening dining in La Terraza was tasty and well served and our breakfast in The Grill was delicious.

I also appreciated the good room service and the fact that the room came equipped with wine glasses! I can hardly wait to come back and spend more time at the wonderful inn.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank TravelHarp
BrianBattaglia, Front Office Manager at Hacienda Del Sol Guest Ranch Resort, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Dear Travel,
It sounds like you may have been the traveling partner with the previous reviewer. Thank you also for spending a moment to share your experiences with us. Again I hope the rest of your Southwestern adventure before us was as relaxing and enjoyable.
We do have a few comedians amoung our FD staff, happy to hear they blended that with helpful service. I hope our recent humid stretch didnt remind you of back home to much. Seems like the pool helped with some relief, the builders picked a great location along the arroyo to keep all the fantastic sunset etc views intact.
Its always the little things that matter most, with us being one of the best known wine restaurants in Arizona its a must to provide wine glasses in every room. Why make guests wait to start enjoying a great bottle of wine to go with the views.
We cannot wait for you to join us again, I am always available to assist with any future trip planning needs. Regards
St Augustine
Reviewed July 17, 2013

I was here just a few days ago at the end of a long trip through the Southwest and I loved it; my only regret was that we hadn't allotted more time for this place!

The service is perfect, with pleasant, courteous and personable staff, and the rooms are delightful little cool oases in the desert, each with their own small patio. The grounds have great plantings and are full of birds of every kind and many people seem to get up early to go out and watch or photograph the birds.

The pool and spa are outdoors and are really pleasant and soothing - and they stay open 24 hours, which is a real treat! Also worth a visit is the library/business center (although there is excellent wifi throughout), which is an old-West style comfy lounge and has great photos of the early days of the resort, when Spencer Tracy and Katherine Hepburn escaped away to it...

I had room service (just wine and snacks) and then later ate a light bite in the Terraza, and everything was excellent. I was too late for the Grille, which closes at 8 pm, unfortunately, but next day I ordered an excellent breakfast there and I can say that everything I had was perfectly prepared and well presented. The food is good and creative, but based on old favorites, in keeping with the place.

As I say, my only regret was that I didn't stay a few more days, get a spa treatment, or even perhaps go riding (there's a stable). But there's always next time...

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for visitng us all the way from Florida, I hope the rest of your trip West matched your stay with us. I appreciate taking the time to write a lovely encapsulation of your stay.
I am proud to hear that our staff provided excellent service while keeping a lighter more personable feel with you. Throughout the year we do have people specifcally stay for bird watching and our FD Manager leads nature walks during the week to highlight our surrounding wildlife and landscapes.
The original builders did us a great favor to have the pool secluded from rooms which allows us to keep open 24 hours a day. In this heat even at night still in the 90s makes this a great luxury for guests.
We appreciate you staying on property to dine, fantastic to hear that all 3 of your dining experiences were to your liking. Our breakfast service has really grown in the last year with some very well recieved menu updates and moving to the Grill where the best views are had in the morning. My apologies our Summer hours are a little shorter than normal, next time I hope you can have a wonderful dinner in the Grill
I hope we do see you in the future for a longer stay, please contact me if I can assist with any hotel, Spa or Horseback reservations
Maricopa, Arizona
Reviewed July 13, 2013

I booked this hotel with a Groupon and didn't really check it out. When we arrived I was pleasantly surprised. The Valet was very friendly. He offered to let us park in a spot until we checked in. The front desk clerk was very friendly and asked if we needed help with our bags. As we were walking to our room the valet told us about a few good restaurants in the area and we just had some friendly chit chat. The room was superb. There were two queen beds that were very comfortable with fluffy pillows. Our room had a balcony which was perfect for watching the sunset. In the morning we had an excellent breakfast in the restaurant (spiced french toast and caramel apple pancakes), I was impressed when the waiter poured the coffee. He went around and did not pour in front of us. I pay attention to things like that!! This is a first class resort and we will definitely return. The view of the mountains is spectacular.

Room Tip: We had room 1. The rooms in that bank are good for watching the sunset. The rooms in the courtyard...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kathy P
BrianBattaglia, Front Office Manager at Hacienda Del Sol Guest Ranch Resort, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Dear Kathy, Thank you for trying out our new Groupon we recently launched, great to hear we exceeded your expectations. I appreciate your kind words about our Valet service, they are sometimes an overlooked member of our team and I will certainly pass along your thoughts. Despite being a free service they work just as hard for us. You stayed in one of the staffs favorite rooms # 1. As noted that patio has some amazing views of the mountains, golf course and natural landscapes. You have taught me something new regarding coffee service, I will be noticing this in the future and I believe these small details is what makes us one of the best in the city and deserving of our 4 Stars. Thank you for dining with us on property and I hope the Valet suggestions worked out well. I hope you do make it down to stay with us, we may do another Groupon and if not we typicall have various specials and discounts running. Please call me if I can assist with any reservation needs. Regards