“A true GEM”

Ranked #3 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
A TripAdvisor Member
Moreno Valley, California, USA
Reviewed October 1, 2012

This place is majestic. It's has history, and the grounds are gorgeous. You can tell the staff loves working at this special place. I will surely return and I've already told my family and friends that they must stay here someday.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with cheaprooms.com
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
BrianBattaglia, Front Office Manager at Hacienda Del Sol Guest Ranch Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2012

Thank you for your recent visit to the Hacienda and taking some precious time to write about your thoughts. Thank you for such a ringing endorsement to your friends and family we appreciate it especially since it means we have done our jobs and you had a stay worthy of such praise. I will share your kind thoughts with our staff and we are in the middle of winter grass planting in order to maintain the gorgeousness of the grounds. Regards

Reviewed September 28, 2012

My daughter and I have just returned from a wonderful week in Tucson.
We stayed a few nights at Hacienda Del Sol, mostly for some horseback riding in the desert.
We were not disappointed. Hacienda del Sol is loaded with charm, Our room had outstanding views and a great little patio. Live music most nights, and the Sunday brunch is a must.
Location works really well for shopping trips.

Finally the riding. Our guide, Valerie, could not have provided a better experience for us. The horses were in good shape, well behaved, and happy.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank cindersOttawa
BrianBattaglia, Front Office Manager at Hacienda Del Sol Guest Ranch Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2012

Thank you for joining us all the way from Canada. It was a pleasure having you and your daughter for the week. Your room # 1 does have some of the best views in the hotel I am glad you enjoyed the patio, which we recently had renovated. I will pass along your kind words to our wrangler Valerie. it is great to hear our new stable operator is providing such fine service, care of animals and making rides memorable. Hope to see you again next Summer and make sure to bring some of your daughters crafts. We may have some space in the gift shop to sell her wares.

Reviewed September 27, 2012

What a gem! This resort is perfect in every way! I could not, would not, find fault with anything. The staff was amazing. I would recommend it, without hesitation. P.S., I'm 'one of those people' that needs to check out the room before I get my suitcase out of the car. Discerning? Yes! Hacienda del Sol will be where I stay when I'm next in Tucson.

• Stayed: September 2012
BrianBattaglia, Front Office Manager at Hacienda Del Sol Guest Ranch Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2012

Thank you for such a wonderful review of your experiences here at the Hacienda. We appreciate your kind sentiments, we strive for perfection here everyday and to see it rewarded with reviews like your make the effort well worth it. Coming to a sprawling hotel like ours its both discerning and smart to wait to get out of the car since you never know where your going. I am thrilled we have delighted such a discerning traveler and welcome you back anytime your in town. Regards

Reviewed September 24, 2012

My husband and I stay here every summer for a mini vacation, even though we live rather close by. There are only some 30 rooms and casitas, each one individually decorated in South Western style. Located in central Tucson, but you feel you are many miles away from the city. It is a Historical property having been a ranch and school for girls from wealthy families, then it became a get-away place for many of the major Hollywood stars of long ago. One casita was used by Spencer Tracy and Kathryn Hepburn. One of Tucson's top restaurants is on the property. Even when full, you often feel as though you are the only people staying there. In the summer, the rates are almost half off so quite a bargain. And with So. Arizona's dry heat, you are still comfortable. We travel around the world and still think this is one of the most charming places to stay.

Room Tip: We like the 2-double-bed rooms as they are large and have nice patios. The casitas are very large w...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
BrianBattaglia, Front Office Manager at Hacienda Del Sol Guest Ranch Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2012

Thank you for coming back to see us this year and for sharing your experiences past and present with us. Thank you for sharing some of our unique history and tradition, we find this to be one of our major selling points and just plain interesting aspects of our property. As many have described our location seems so out of the way but this adds to the seclusion and non-city feel while still being just a few min away from any necessity or in-town experience. With so much space and few rooms I agree with you that you never feel crowded or stiffled and can enjoy alot of personal, relaxing freedom. Hope to see you next summer, the low season rates being at the end of May. Regards

Reviewed September 23, 2012

This was our second stay and we spent nearly a week this time. We were in room 18, one of the historic rooms on the lower level. Our room's window view was onto a desert garden area - very pretty and no noises or foot traffic that we noticed. Our room was small, with a queen bed, two chairs, a dresser and the TV cabinet. The furniture was charming Mexican folk art style. The bed, while small, was extremely comfy with very inviting sheets. Our bathroom was also small, but they had two built-in wall cabinets to store toiletries, etc. The towels were clean and thick terry, but they only provided 2 (I always like it when I get extra towels). We had two spacious clothes closets (but no luggage racks, which was irritating since I NEVER put my suitcase on the ground at hotels) and there were very nice spa type robes for us. Our room opened onto a glass-walled, 3-sided corridor overlooking a shared courtyard that is filled with gorgeous lime trees, shrubs, cactus and flowers flowing out of dozens of pots and containers. Doors open to the courtyard from the glassed in area. A central fountain adds to the peaceful setting. Oddly, they have placed artificial turf here, which is unfortunate (and mysterious). The main sitting area and library are very comfortable and pleasant, with a lot of information and old photographs of the inn on the walls. There is plenty of parking space and as you enter the property, you walk through a beautiful adobe gate into a spectacular garden with lush plants, trees and even a couple of California palms towering overhead. This area has real grass (!) and another lovely fountain - it's beautiful. The restaurants are at the far end and a very nice pool/patio and jacuzzi are located directly below, down some steps. The pool area has an incredible view of the Catalinas. There is also a small fitness center down there. I can't think of a more convenient or beautiful location to stay in and we thoroughly enjoyed our time here. Just a couple of negative points, though I still give it a 5: The free wi-fi never worked in our room at all (at least not for our iPad/iPhones) and I could only get AT&T cell service intermittently both in the room and out in the courtyard. The in-room coffee pot is a welcome amenity, but their packaged coffee was quite awful. We drove down the street to the Starbucks every morning. This is a lovely place for couples but I'm not sure if the small rooms and rather adult setting would be very convenient for families - maybe there are reviews from others that will answer that.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms have direct views of the mountains and if you can afford to pay more for them, I...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
BrianBattaglia, Front Office Manager at Hacienda Del Sol Guest Ranch Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2012

Thank you for visiting us for a week and for providing such a detailed review of your stay, I say less is not more in this case. From your review our Housekeeping Manager has decided that 4 bath towels will now be placed in the courtyard rooms, thank you for the advice. Also I apologize about your lack of a luggage rack, that was an oversight on our end and has been corrected. Our reasoning for the artificial turf in the Courtyard is due to having so many events, weddings etc there trying to keep real grass looking green and fabulous week to week would be difficult. Apologies also for your lack of room internet access, we did determine through your review and from other guests that we did have a connection issue in the courtyard and have addressed the issue. I am very happy that you found our courtyard, pool area and landscaping to be inviting and took an interest in our unique history and setting. Please come back to visit when the weather gets to chilly in Boston. Regards

Reviewed September 17, 2012

Three night stay in room 30. After reading all the previous reviews, I expected more.

The grounds are, indeed, lovely and the property and rooms have historic charm. So, what went wrong?

Mostly it was housekeeping (the lack of)! After our first night, we came back to the room around 2 pm to clean up and head back out. The room hadn't been made up. I wasn't concerned; it was still early. We came back at 11:30 pm after a night of star-gazing at the observatory, and the room still had not been made up. Not much you can do at that hour except go down to the desk, tell them and ask for towels (which I did). The next day, we came back to the room in the evening. The room had been serviced but only partly. The bed was made. There were fresh towels and bottles of water in the refrigerator. But, it was obvious nothing had been wiped down or cleaned, and the empty toiletries were not replaced. I let staff know the next morning when we checked out. There was no apology, basically just a, "Did you let us know?" and a quick look at the computer.

It would also be nice if the hotel reserved parking spots for guests on nights with live music. While it was nice to open the window and listen to the music when we got back to the room, the only parking left was down a dark gravel lane.

Be aware that pillows smoosh down to flat and that the A/C unit is really loud. There are refrigerators in the rooms. The bath was spacious. Floors are a bit creaky. This property is not close to most activities and attractions. I'm not sure I'd stay again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
BrianBattaglia, Front Office Manager at Hacienda Del Sol Guest Ranch Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2012

First thank you for spending three nights with us and sharing thoughts on your stay, my apologies that we did not meet your expectations nor the high expectations we set for ourselves. As a hotel there is never any excuse for a guests room not be serviced on a daily basis unless requested. To come back to your room late evening after a wonderful day out without receiving housekeeping service in unacceptable and as a fellow traveler I understand your disappointment. The second day we should have recognized the lost opportunity to satify your needs on the first and taken extra special care of the room. My biggest concern is the front desk's lack of empathy or action during your check out, while we cannot change what happened there should have been an acknowledgement of the issues presented coupled with an apology at the least. Our Housekeeping Manager has read your review and corrective action is under way to address your concerns of service and the soft pillows.Our parking and AC issues are constantly being evaluated in order to provide more ease and comfort for guests. I sincerely hope we can have a second chance to show you what we are really made of. Regards

Reviewed September 14, 2012 via mobile

Brilliant place. A little far from a lot of the tourist stuff, but worth it. They take dogs, all sizes. The place is beautiful against the foothills. The rooms are harming, the happy hour great, and the restaurants amazing. Stay here, you won't regret.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank Chad B
BrianBattaglia, Front Office Manager at Hacienda Del Sol Guest Ranch Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2012

Thank you for your recent stay with us and for taking the time to review and share your thoughts with the community. Being in the foothills we are a bit far from alot of the major attractions however I like you think that the beauty of the foothills and our quiet nestled location does have its benefits. We enjoy having guests bring their pets, it adds a feeling of comfort for guests away from home. Thank you for taking advantage of and enjoying our new expanded happy hour and our dining in the Grill and Terraza. We hope youll come join us again in the future. Regards