“Fantastic stay, hard to leave.”

Hacienda Del Sol Guest Ranch Resort
Ranked #3 of 130 Hotels in Tucson
Durham, New Hampshire
“Fantastic stay, hard to leave.”
Reviewed October 11, 2011

My wife picked this hotel as a wrap up of our longer trip in New Mexico. We were sorry that we didn't have the time to stay longer. We had a king casita style room that had a view of the mountains, two chairs on a small patio on the mountain side of the room....the view was beautiful. The room was everything we had hoped for and more, very clean, comfortable bed, attractive furnishings...enough about the room. The grounds are spectacular, I was told that one of the owner/partners oversees the grounds, he does a wonderful job. Cool rusty sculptures located everywhere (my wife and I love that kind of stuff). We had a farewell dinner in the Grill restaurant. The service was attentive and the food was top notch, we didn't have the special (fish) as we are from the north east and can get fish anytime, but the buffalo was wonderful and cooked just how l like it. I found the staff to be very helpful and even adjusted my bill to accomodate a billing blunder (my mistake, I think?). Full of suggestions about the area. Thank you for a wonderful stay!

Room Tip: Pay a little extra to get the casita with a patio on the moutain side. Also, if you pay with Visa y...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
BrianBattaglia, Front Office Manager at Hacienda Del Sol Guest Ranch Resort, responded to this review, October 18, 2011
Thank you Craig for taking some time out to share your experience with us at the Hacienda. It sounds like you enjoyed your stay from beginning to end which is what we strive for here. I will pass on the kind words to Jeff who is the gentleman responsible for the grounds and those rusty sculptures you saw. I always love to hear that our Front Desk was helpful and took care of the adjustment for you no matter the cause. I will also pass along your experience in our dining room and I hope. I appreciate the helpful hints on room and rates that will help fellow travelers and I hope we do see you again soon. Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (247)
  • Korean first
Essex, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 18, 2011

On more than one occasion I had to check my booking confirmation to see if I really was paying such a reasonable rate for such a superb establishment.

From the range of TV channels and iPod dock, through the sumptuous towels and bath amenities, to the top-notch service and dining options, all was five-star quality at three-star prices. The beautiful courtyard gardens are surpassed only by the fabulous 24-hour pool which has stunning views of the Catalina mountains (not to mention the gorgeous hot-tub with a terrace overlooking the foothills) complete with a magnificent Saguaro just to remind you you're in the desert. The icing on the cake was a visit to the pool by a pair of Roadrunner - that's how calm, welcoming and attractive this place is!

Truly wonderful and somewhere I would return even at five-star prices.

Room Tip: The Historic Rooms are completely acceptable and beat hands-down the top rooms in certain other esta...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
BrianBattaglia, Front Office Manager at Hacienda Del Sol Guest Ranch Resort, responded to this review, September 27, 2011
Thank you for coming all the way from the UK to visit us here at the Hacienda and also for taking the time to take some great pictures of especially the pool area, I may have to use some of those on our websites. I am glad you got to visit with some of our animal guests who roam the grounds and provide some unique scenery to our place. It is great to hear that you found the balance of lifes modern accesories with our historic tradition that we are very proud of. Cheers and safe travels

Mill Valley, California
Reviewed September 16, 2011

We were celebrating our 45th anniversary and for no reason picked Tucson and this hotel.
From the moment we arrived, until the moment we left we felt as we we part of a very special
Family. The employees are so wonderful and warm and friendly that you were made to feel as if Hacienda were your very own home. The owners have picked special people to work here who seem to have an innate sense of hospitality.
The pride and joy of the kitchen staff was their very own organic garden just outside which is used for every meal.The food was exquisite.
The bar and music lots of fun. We enjoyed many hours by the pool with the outstanding backdrop of the jagged stone outcroppings on the mountains!!!

The gardens with the diverse plants were beautiful!
This is the kind for of place you want to return to again and again and We Will!!!
Immaculate throughout,wonderful high desert gardens

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Alice S
BrianBattaglia, Front Office Manager at Hacienda Del Sol Guest Ranch Resort, responded to this review, September 21, 2011
Let me start by saying Congratulations on your 45th Anniversary. I am delighted that your "random" selection to stay with us on such a special occasion turned out as wonderful as can be felt in your review. I will pass along your kind words to the Grill and Terraza management team as well. It is great to hear you had both some relaxation time around the property as well as fun in our lounge. We would also love to have you back again and again and if I can assist in some future planning dont hesitate to contact me. Perhaps for # 46. Sincerely

Massachusetts
Reviewed September 10, 2011

Just came back from spending Labor Day week-end at the Hacienda del Sol for my son's wedding. From check-in to check-out it was a wonderful experience and the perfect place for a wedding! The location was terrific for relaxing and sight-seeing. The perfectly-kept grounds were beautiful from the desert sunrises to late nights watching the stars and the lights of downtown Tucson in the distance. The history of the inn is fascinating, so don't forget to ask about it. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful, no matter what they were asked for and seemed to truly enjoy their jobs! It's not a large corporate hotel, but an historic one and it has the charm of an inn. The small touches, from the orange water at the entrance, the bottles of water in the room, the morning coffee in the comfortable living room-like lobby, the twinkling lights in the courtyards at night to the towels and bedding (the bed itself was very comfortable, too) added to the warm feeling throughout. The rooms were lovely--especially the beautiful, and more private casitas. But why would you spend much time in your room when the grounds, pool, courtyard seating areas, lobby and library are so cozy and inviting? We had both breakfasts and lunches at the inn--a delicious and relaxing experience, as well. While we didn't go on the nature walk, I understand from friends with us that it was a wonderful, educational experience to learn about the Hacienda's gardens and plants. They even grow vegetables and herbs for the restaurant right on the grounds. Cooling off and relaxing pool-side, the staff happily supplied pitchers of water and cups. The view of the mountains from the pool and hot tub, open 24 hours, was beautiful. It truly was a memorable stay. We'd happily return. Thank you Hacienda del Sol for the most perfect wedding week-end.

Room Tip: If you're looking for more modern ammenities, choose a casita room and not an historic one.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank barweb11
BrianBattaglia, Front Office Manager at Hacienda Del Sol Guest Ranch Resort, responded to this review, September 10, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience with us this past weekend. It was our pleasure to host your son's wedding and we cannot be more pleased that we could provide a memorable experience in both room accomodations and our grounds. Your enthusiasm is exactly what we strive to create in both the standard hotel amenities and the little extra touches you mention. Come back and see us anytime and I would be happy to help in making those arrangements. Regards, Brian
Tucson
Reviewed September 5, 2011

The grounds were beautiful! The staff were friendly and knowledgeable. We were able stay as busy as we wanted to just by walking around the property learning the history,swimming, visiting the organic vegetable gardens, or walking down to the horse corral. When it was time to wind down, nothing compares to having a glass of wine while watching Tucson's beautiful sunsets while sitting in the lush gardens. We can't wait to go back. We never wanted to leave!

Room Tip: All of the rooms are full of unique design. They have cosy single rooms all the way up to private ca...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Allen, Texas
Reviewed September 3, 2011

Beautiful resort! Stayed in August at the hacienda and really enjoyed it. We would walk around the property in the morning and evenings to see the beautiful sunrise and sunsets. Enjoyed the pool and jacuzzi area (especially during the sunsets). I heard they have live jazz on Thurs? but we were not able to enjoy the restaurant as we ended up eating out while we were sightseeing. I would like to mention "Teresa's Mosaic Cafe". We ate their our first night in Tucson and loved the ambiance and the meal. We loved it so much we came back to the Tucson area after our forays into Tubac and we took lunch to go which we enjoyed at the airport before our flight back. Mmmm.....I can still remember the colorado sauce. Additionally, we went horseback riding at the nearby stable (a 1-2 min walk from the hacienda). Our family did a group night ride with steak dinner. The ranch hands grilled the meal while our family sat around a campfire that had been built. We ate our meal under the stars and then got back on our horses to return to the stables. This was my first time on a night horseback ride and I really enjoyed it. We saw a coyote while we were on the trail, which was a really neat experience.

Room Tip: We stayed in room numbers 1, 5, and 6. We really liked our rooms. I think rooms 1 and 4 had the b...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank chaistat
BrianBattaglia, Front Office Manager at Hacienda Del Sol Guest Ranch Resort, responded to this review, September 6, 2011
I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed both your stay with us and the surrounding Tucson area. We appreciate the tip for Teresa's I am always looking for off property suggestions to pass on to our guests. We do have live piano jazz in our restaurants 7 days a week and on the weekends we offer live bands on our patio, hopefully next visit you can enjoy the entertainment. Glad you were able to experience some old western flavor and hospitality with your horseback ride and cookout, I am delighted to pass along your thoughts to our stable family. Happy future travels.

Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed August 26, 2011

when we checked in there was an amenity waiting, as it was noted on our reservation that it was my wife's birthday, this was a great "attention to detail" that many hotels frequently overlook, and can make a huge impact on any impression, especially a first, as this was ours. we loved our upgraded room suite with fantastic views and spacious accommodations including a patio! loved the location and attention to detail and friendly staff, can't honestly say from this first stay there was anything we were dissatisfied with. Absolutely fantastic experience, will definitely be staying here again! and again, and again!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple