“Decent enough for the price/location”

Doubletree by Hilton Tucson - Reid Park
Ranked #35 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
Reviewed August 27, 2009

The main two things this place has going for it is the fact that it is cheap (I got a room here in the summer for less than $60 a night) and the customer service is fantastic. Every staff member always has a smile on their face, the belldesk always greets you when you enter the main lobby (although this was a bit annoying), and they gave me a cookie at the front desk whenever I asked for one (too bad I had to buy the milk.)

The rooms themselves are pretty newly renovated, so they have some sleek decor. The bed in my room had many different pillows so it was easy to get comfortable. The rooms also have 32" plasmas which is definitely a plus, although the channel selection isn't great. The rooms are pretty quiet, although not soundproof. The whole place was empty enough to where I don't think they put me next to neighbors.

The dining on the premises is terrible, that includes both the restaurant in the hotel and the one directly adjacent to it at the Javelina Cantina (although this is a good place to go for drinks), the food was greasy and stale. However, there are a number of dining options within a couple miles that would satisfy pretty much any taste. The Circle K next door is the perfect place to get your hydration (a must in the AZ heat).

There is a decent sized pool (a great place to relax in the evenings) with a jacuzzi, a fitness center, a business center, and a gift shop on the property. There is also a park nearby with a zoo and a golf course, although I don't know why you would want to go outside during the summer in South Arizona.

Overall, this place would be a 5 star property except for the fact the rooms in the far wing appear pretty shady due to the fact they have outside access, which isn't exactly "ideal" in a border town like Tucson. Also, its not very close to downtown, where the real nightlife is.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank rovingthemuck

Reviewed August 10, 2009

My husband and I stayed here with our 2 year old. Our stay was good, but disappointing in a few areas. The rooms are nicely renovated and the King room we had was large enough to set up our pack n' play. We never had any problem with noise. Everything seemed to function correctly.
We were a little suprised to find that our room had an exterior access, since all of the Doubletree locations we've stayed at have had interior access. We were also disappointed that the room we were assigned did not have a bath tub. Not having a tub wasn't a huge issue, but made bathing out son a little more diffucult. Also, we didn't like the fact that our room was quite a way from the pool and lobby area. These issues, of course were not anything major.
When we make another trip out that way we will certainly consider staying at this property again.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed July 27, 2009

Only stayed there for a night, this hotel is clean, the staff are friendly, they also have a very nice garden with many trees and plants, you won't believe you are indeed in the middle of the desert. Location is convenient, not far from I-10, also close to U of A, very safe neighborbood. The room had a 42-inch TV (a little too big and too bright for a small room), but w/o a DVD player, the bed was comfortable, and no bugs!!!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank ken240
Reviewed June 9, 2009

Spent a week here for business. It is an older property that has been renovated. The room in the tower was great. Flat screen TV, comfortable bed. The pool was actually deep enough to dive in and large enough to swim some laps. Location across from Reid park was great. It is a good place to run.
Co-worker wasn't feeling well and the bellman drove him to the hospital. The bellman and manager asked about him the next day. Great customer service.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank hernfam
Reviewed June 6, 2009

We had more than a dozen people come from out of state to attend a wedding. Each stayed from two to three days. All were satisfied. Everyone in our party got a room almost adjacent to one another, which made wedding preparation much easier in a relaxed social atmosphere. I requested a suite and the staff converted a connecting room into a living-room parlor with chairs and tables. It turned out to be a great meeting place for all those persons who came from out of town. I was also pleased with how quickly the staff responded to our requests. A sliding door was hard to close and the custodial staff was there in less than five minutes and fixed it in less than five minutes. The pool, the workout room and the grounds were all first rate. All of the staff were helpful and friendly, especially at the front desk. The in- room wireless wi-fi worked very well and met all of our needs. There were three additional public wi-fi stations in the lobby. The complimentary coffee in the lobby as early as six in the morning was also a nice touch. And all of this for a very fair price. These folks have it right!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Jim022Dc
Reviewed June 6, 2009

My family and I stayed here several days when we could not get a place over at Las Posadas Casitas. (I've stayed solo at that other hotel and love it to death for its serenity and Spanish architecture). Doubletree is a pleasant place to relax at. But . . . for part of the time we had a smoking European girl above us (what's up with so many young people from Europe STILL smoking like it's the 1970s and everyone just found out how dangerous it is?).
We stayed in the Doubletree casitas since we were traveling with our two dogs. I would recommend staying in these, even if you don't have pets . . . our downstairs had sliding glass doors and access to an open patio and beautifully manicured lawns that meandered around . . . lovely grounds, grass, trees, birds . . . we would have missed ALL of this being in the tower. Plus, as long as you keep your dogs on leash, you can explore the grounds, lay some towels out on the grassy areas, and enjoy the smell of the grapefruit trees with their giant fruit dropped here and there. This place would be a wonderful oasis in the heat of the summer . . .
Across the street is the zoo, along with attractive Saguro cacti and Palo Verde trees in full yellow bloom. Personally, I became addicted to walking the three or so mile trail around the zoo and golf course. It is a great place to people watch, as tons of locals walk and jog around it. Lots of dog lovers have their mutts with them - but one family had an unleashed chihuahua which came right up and bit one of my dogs. Lucky for them, my other dog did not immediately react, as she would have turned that mean thing into hamburger. Shockingly, the family did not even apologize for this errant behavior. They just acted like nothing happened. So be on the lookout for unleashed dogs by some of the locals.
The absolutely breathtaking Tucson Gardens is on the same road - about two miles north of Doubletree. I had never been there & decided to visit it after much hemming and hawing (I didn't want to pay the $10 dollar entrance fee) and pouring over satellite imagery, which did not do it justice. Even though the Doubletree Hotel is on a busy road, the enchanting gardens somehow made it quiet to the point of stillness - besides an area that just highlights the cacti of the Sonoran desert & also the Chihuahuan desert, there is even a giant Saguro cacti that is the rare "curled" variety . . . something I have never ever seen . . . it doesn't even look like a Saguro. Lots of shady trees and wildflowers (and a nice spot for kids to play in, in the center).
Unfortunately, a lot of desert trails in the vicinity do not allow pets, so we had to head to the nearby Catalina Mountains for hiking. This turned out to be a good thing, as the far cooler air was much more dog friendly (it was only in the 70s down in Tucson, but cold enough up in the mountains that I had to move around just to stay warm).
I did not visit the adjacent restaurant, don't drink but saw that they have an attractive bar right inside the checkin area. Their gift shop is quite pleasant and staffed by a friendly older lady. I found that some of the staff might need some remedial training in how to make Italian visitors feel more welcome. I'm not Italian nor am I a foreigner but one young lady just did not understand how she was adding to the stress of a group of Italian travelers by her impatient demeanor and lack of understanding that if your first language is not English, one must speak s-l-o-w-l-y and gently. Having traveled around the globe, I understand that a calm, friendly tone and patient demeanor can add significantly to one's sense of happiness . . .
it can make or break a trip, especially if you are in the throes of culture shock, which they seemed to be.
In sum, I would return to Doubletree, as it is so very convenient and attractive . . . a great place to stay if you are exploring Tucson for the first time and would like to go about town on foot. My family LOVED Tucson and wants to come back every year.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Forgottensage
Reviewed May 21, 2009

I got bed bugs from this hotel. At first I couldn't figure it out because I've never had it before and there were only a couple bites. I thought they were mosquito bites from hanging out at the pool. The next morning, they were all over my feet. I told hotel management and they didn't believe me and charged me for the full stay. After I left, I made a complaint with the city's health department. And magically, hotel management called me back after I had left numerous messages. They sent me a voucher to stay there again; like I would ever come back! Please save yourself the grief and stay away! It took months for the bites to go aways and believe me; they were painful.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business